4 sides of a vinyl record

Can't be Guero, Euro pressing.. Just had a look at it. Side 1 and 2 same lp. But thanks anyway, I am going to give it a spin now.

Cheers

You're welcome!

I just checked and it wasn't Beck (mine is the same pressing as yours). It was Sinatra at the Sands (Reprise 1019).

Most radio stations used to have 2 turntables installed in each studio (I know 3RRR still does but most commercial stations won't now). It meant that if you played a double album you could cue up side 2 and seamlessly move from side 1 to 2. You could play the whole double album with only 1 interruption instead of 3 interruptions.

If the discs had 1 and 3 on one, and 2 and 4 on the other they could then play it through with no interruptions.

Most radio stations used to have 2 turntables installed in each studio (I know 3RRR still does but most commercial stations won't now). It meant that if you played a double album you could cue up side 2 and seamlessly move from side 1 to 2. You could play the whole double album with only 1 interruption instead of 3 interruptions.

If that's the case wouldn't it be more logical to put 1/3 & 2/4 together and flip disc 1 while side 2 is playing and so on without any interruptions ?

If that's the case wouldn't it be more logical to put 1/3 & 2/4 together and flip disc 1 while side 2 is playing and so on without any interruptions ?

Funny you should say that, Adam. After I posted that it allows DJs to beatmix the album, I realised that what you have just suggested makes more sense!

What do they do with triple albums ?

They would go 1&6, 2&5, 3&4  (or get three turntables :cool: )

Sequencing is more common on classical recordings where the albums form part of a whole work. eg Operas or Symphonies. All the tracks are intended to be heard in a specific sequence that extends beyond the range of the single record. The stacking would minimise the disruption of listening to the whole work.

It's not so common in pop music unless the album is a concept album (or similar).

Ralph

Edited by Ralph

Kasi and Ralph have hit it on the button, in the 50',60's and 70's there were autochanger turntables. These were often installed in combination radiograms which were popular then.

The idea was the records so numbered were piled in a stack on the autochanger and the machine automatically dropped the next record onto the platter when the tonearm had come to the end and returned to the rest position.

The turntable would then automatically start playing the record that had been dropped down.

Just as an example have a very old, probably 60's Time Life LP stereo set of Beethoven and the records are numbered, 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5.

These would have been stacked on the turntable, start lever actuated and the turntable would have run through the whole set of records without intervention.

At the finish of the last playing the stack would have been lifted off the spindle, turned over and the process started again.

I think NT has it guys.

This is also how I cook my steaks although 4 at a time is just plain greedy. :D:ban:

Still doesn't make sense. How do you go seamlessly from side 4 to 5?

Jake, my steaks are 5" thick mate so these go either on the edge or on their end. Seeing steak is rarely rectangular, we can get about 8 edges / surfaces or more.

It's much like getting extra mileage out of your undies when you go for a 150km overland trek.

We get 10 days out of a pair before they need washing.

Inside out / back to front / upside down / downside up / sunny side up.................................

Then we swap over.................................

Don't know what would happen if we went on a 200km walk and there was no water, mind....

And at the end you can wring them out, collect and dry the residue, and then ask your mates if they would like to try some of your special homemade beef jerky?

Too far!!! Edited by gz76