Sign in to follow this  
Mr Oriel

New to audio, first setup since joining here

Greetings,

I came across this forum after determining I was keen to venture into the audio hobby. Coming from car modifications background, this has been a different experience for sure! Found the crowd here very helpful and not too quick to flame the newb! haha.

Anyways, I was initially going to go for a dac on my pc and some bookhshelf speakers. Having lurked around here I opted for a separate 2ch setup. I did want to go vinyl but I feel I'll appreciate it more once my ears get more used to cleaner sound, plus being able to experience the change. Didn't want to rush it.

Here's what I ended up with:

1074378_581859661892614_246394070_o_zps9

1504407_581859591892621_1100250098_o_zps

The tv and soundbar were already there, they do me fine for foxtel/ps3/bluray use.

Managed to source a mint NADC320Bee amp, set of Aaron ATS-5s with some tweaks done by a local group (Rage Audio iirc) and ofcourse the NADC546Bee. I'm still waiting to pick up some speaker cables. Just a 16g cable from JB.

Listening through my headphones was pretty decent, I was amazed how no distortions and how much clearer (pure?) the sound was. First track I played was Daft Punk's OST for Tron Legacy, Overture. 

I'll just focus on building my collection for now - hopefully graduate to turn table down the track.

Cheers for veiwing and thanks to the folks who've guided to date.

(PS disregard the magic carpet on the table xD)

Edited by Mr Oriel

Thank you gents. 

Thrash099, mate I was told sheep wool was added, crossovers changed, heavy duty copper cables replaced the standard ones. I'm not too familiar with the standard ones but to my noob ears they sounded much better than what I previewed at JB lol. 

I'd love to go down the valve tube amplifier path eventually :)

a tube amp would drive the 5's pretty easily if they are the same sensitivity as the 4's at 93db... check out weston acoustics for a tube amp....

That NADC320 bee is a goodun, modern day classic even.  Should be driving those Aaron's absolutely no trouble at all.  

Welcome to the debt cycle :)

Oh, and get some nice cables definitely.  Wait until you hear what a difference they can make. 

Edited by Iano

Nice!

(if you miss being flamed, we can accommodate that too!)

Might I also make a suggestion re: speaker placement, the angled toe-in is great but if you can, try moving them away from the corners of the room.  

Those Aarons have a rear port so they could sound boomy if you don't let them breathe.  Even my tiny little Dynaudio 42s (all of 28cm high) came to life when I moved them out into free space, i.e at least 50cm from any wall or corner. 

Nice to see some ATS-5 on duty. Mine are stashed in a cupboard at the moment due to space restrictions :(

Mine definitely sound better when I can get them away from the wall. I have also had them out on the patio a couple of times and they sounded the best I have heard them out there.

Nice set up.

And don't disregard the magic carpet on top of the table. More than likely it helps improve the sound by taming reflections off the top of the table.

Looks like quite a nice little system.

Yes, definitely try to get the speakers away from the corners if you can. Corner reflections can lead to boomy bass. As for the distance from the back wall, I reckon experiment with that. Some speakers sound better away from the wall, others sound better closer (my VAF DCXs do). Also consider some thicker gauge cable perhaps (I bought some 10 and 12 gauge cable from Selby Acoustics).

Above all though, sit back and enjoy the system, and allow yourself time to get used to the way it sounds. Then, tweak away! :)

Edited by emesbee

Thank you gents!!

I did have the speakers facing straight but the picture is a little deceving - because it's not an enclosed room as such:

309264_181035531975031_1393769457_n.jpg

That's why I went with the angled positioning - but open to suggestions if having them straight would be better? I will experiment no doubt. I think part of the modification to the speakers has given them 2 smaller rear ports - I believe originally there just one large port? weighed them and they were 24~25kg each lol.

Two small ports is what my ATS-5 have along with single binding posts. I think that just places them as part of the first ATS-5 series from what i have been able to dig up. There was a revision somewhere along the way and they went to a single larger port and bi-wireable posts. I could be wrong but changing from single large to double small port would require a load of work unless there is an obvious blanked off large port-hole?

The upgrade work you have had done sounds like what I read about when I was researching the model - some extra damping materials and some cross-over upgrades. I'm sure they sound pretty nice with the NAD driving them :thumb:

How do you go with the listening space opening out on one side? I have a bigger version of the same problem and it seems to knacker getting a good sense of envelopment. My brain knows about the open space there unless I pull up a pew and listen nearfield.

Cheers,

Pieman

Thanks for the clarification Pieface - sadly I haven't actually experienced the sound on my setup as I'm waiting for the speaker cables to be delivered.

Mind you given how new I am compared to the majority of seasoned audiophiles here - I probably won't be able to tell straight away lol!

No speaker cables? No wonder it looks so clean :cool:

Explains the Sennheisers in the first post too.

You must be itching to fire it up!