Game of Thrones

Guest Peter the Greek

Not sure why HBO decided to change that […]

Simple, to make the red wedding more brutal.

I disagree that it's a "stupid plot twist". The author feels that when characters clash, some will win and some will lose, regardless of the reader's sentimental attachment. It happened to Ned Stark ( the good guy from Book 1) and to his son (who we expect to exact vengeance).

--Geoff

Simple, to make the red wedding more brutal. I disagree that it's a "stupid plot twist". The author feels that when characters clash, some will win and some will lose, regardless of the reader's sentimental attachment. It happened to Ned Stark ( the good guy from Book 1) and to his son (who we expect to exact vengeance). --Geoff

but the Starks never seem to win - and that's tiresome to be honest.

but the Starks never seem to win - and that's tiresome to be honest.

That's the beauty of this show - it's a lot closer to reality than your average fairytale. People are devious and shrewd, and these types will often succeed in such political environments. This is not LotR where the good guys win everything. The author said it himself - those who are expecting a fairytale ending will be dissapointed:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/02/game-of-thrones-author-george-r-r-martin-why-he-wrote-the-red-wedding/

Q: Since Song of Ice and Fire so often subverts reader expectations and avoids traditional fantasy storytelling structures, should fans have any real hope that this tale will have a happy ending? As The Boy recently said on Thrones, “If you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention.â€

A: I’ve stated numerous times that I anticipate a bittersweet ending.

Edited by twwen2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's funny: when i started watching season 1, i found it pretty trashy... lots of gratuitous sex and violence, convoluted plot, but it felt empty... then i borrowed the entire season from my cousin... watched that, got into it a bit, bought season 2 on iTunes... then watching that, became completely hooked and immediately bought season 3 on iTunes. Now like you guys, i can't wait for season 4!

• 1 month later...

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR SEASON 1&2!!!

Great concept, great cast, good production for a TV Show, but my god it draaaaaaaags oooooooooon.

The whole first season was just hours and hours of people talking about "The Throne" and how they want it.

One of the most interesting characters, the horse warrior leader, forget his name, gets killed.

As a non-book reader I was hoping he and his troops were gonna go cause some havoc among the inbred castle dwellers, but no such luck.

And of course Sean Bean bites the dust.

The Wall and what lies beyond is constantly mentioned and made out to be something vital to the show.

Two seasons on and we still don't know what the big deal is with the wall and what's on the other side.

For a show about people wanting something and implying that there will be battles to get that something, it sure does not deliver.

I'm not saying ever episode should have Braveheart style battles, but COME ON!!!

Enough talking already, get to it.

And all these little hints about the supernatural, dragons etc, yet we hardly get to see any of it.

Maybe I went in to this show with the wrong expectations.

Maybe I was expecting something more along the lines of Lord Of The Rings (which I'm not overly fussed about either - seen all movies once, never read the books) but, again, I did expect a BIT more battles and a BIT less monologues and gratuitous sex scenes.

We get it, they all want the throne, now get on with trying to claim it!

I have Season 3 ready to watch and will keep going, because, as I said, I do think it's a good show but it definitely drags on a bit.