Game of Thrones

Guest Peter the Greek

Ive been thinking about gettin gthe ATV, quite functional and good for movie purchases etc. But that means its another bloody box, with another power cord, another ethernet port, another HDMI cable.

It would be easier if they didnt DRM the crap out of everything.

It was stuttering like Ken (Fish called Wanda) and then would blank out entire passages while the video caught up to the audio.

I gave up and just watched on the PC. Cant wait for this season to 'get into it' loving the build up

yes it is a quality series

The books were very good as well.

HBO have done a good job some minor scenes (in the books) are missing but not to the deteriment overall.

I will watch with lots of enthusiasm as the series grows into 4,5 & 6

Chewie

All this downloading stuff (and having to wait a couple of days) and messing about with HTPC's and iCrap. There is an easier way. 

Last year I would have agreed. This comic summed up the situation perfectly:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last year there was no way of obtaining the show legally in Australia. However, this year iTunes has each episode available in 1080p just 2 days after the US airing. People whinge and moan about iTunes, but the reality is it works just fine.

Anyone using a 2-day delay to justify piracy is akin to a spoiled brat. Anyone using anti-iTunes bias as an excuse to justify piracy is just being difficult and lazy. This year the product is available legally, in high quality (better than 720p torrents) and is easily accessible (just get off the couch and install iTunes, it's not that hard).

Winter is coming!

• Like 1

I don't mind saying I received a pirated copy of season 1 & 2 from a friend prior to its release date... Bloody good copy it is. So I watched it all, then bought the blurays after it came out legally.

Pretty poor business practice to facilitate the pirate copies to be available before the legitimate copies, I don't suppose there are too many who would do what I did.

Stannis a "nutcase" crikey, where's that come from?

Edited by peacewise

I did the same thing for season 1 & 2. Obtained copies of the episodes as they became available, then pre-ordered the Blu-ray sets when they were released. I'll continue to buy the Blu-ray sets even though I'm now paying for each episode on iTunes, because nothing beats the quality of Blu-ray!

Edited by twwen2

Season 1 i bought Blu Ray without ever seeing it before. Season 2 i was so into it that copies were obtained another way

Season 3 i will buy through iTunes. I just wish it could be in another format that Jriver would recognise so all my sounds settings and Hardware Accelerator works.

Would also like my broher to be able to watch it up stairs wihtout having to buy his own. We could have just streamed it through the NAS drive, but no, Apple man, sheeesh

Apparently Martin has shared the major plot events with the makers of GoT so that, in the event of his death, the series can be completed satisfactorily. I for one sincerely hope he can finish the books; I've read all the ones published so far and am dying to see the ending. The Starks better get some goddam retribution!

I would absolutely be up for a HBO sponsored ending as they've done a marvellous job so far and Benioff and Weiss (exec producers) clearly have a great grasp and love of the material.

George just needs to write faster:

Downloaded the lot long before they were available elsewhere. Watched then. Loved them. Buy them? - nope, cos they will sit in a cupboard for years along with all the other box sets I've bought,watched and now only lend out but don't watch myself.

Edited by danter

Watched the first episode of season three (iTunes) with my wife the other day.  Yesterday I finished the second book and so am right up to date with story and characters and found myself pausing a number of times while watching the show to answer backstory questions from my darling wife.  There is a lot of stuff happening in the second book and a lot happening in S3 E1 and I doubt that there would be many watching the show that could fully remember the backstories.  The first book was faithfully reproduced by the television series almost wholus bolus but the second book is quite different.  Entire characters and events have been omitted for the sake of clarity and items from future books have been brought forward even into the second series.  Having just read Book 2 I wish that the tv show had been able to reproduce the full story because I think the tale is thorough and brilliant and compelling plus we would have needed another dozen episodes to get through it.  Who would be up to Game of Thrones 40 weeks a year?  I'll put my hand up.

Anthony

Guest Peter the Greek
The blurays are outstanding quality, well worth it IMO.

+1, a mate gave me the first on Bluray for Christmas, the second quickly followed, they're superb

Who would be up to Game of Thrones 40 weeks a year?  I'll put my hand up.

+1, I love this show, its so well produced its not funny, I'd be more then happy to watch it week in, week out

Echoing all of the comments above. Have both Blu-rays immediately as they were released, after watching them on my pc beforehand. Third season, as I don't use iTunes on my pc, I am obtaining through other means ;) Have been thinking about using iTunes, but I do rewatch these before each season so i'd rather spend my money on the blurays ONLY!

I can't tell the difference between the HD download and the blurays for Game Of Thrones.  Who would really want to mess with discs, horrible slow bluray loading and a season spanning three discs or more when you can just make three clicks, wait literally two seconds and it starts.

Watched the first episode of season three (iTunes) with my wife the other day. Yesterday I finished the second book and so am right up to date with story and characters and found myself pausing a number of times while watching the show to answer backstory questions from my darling wife. There is a lot of stuff happening in the second book and a lot happening in S3 E1 and I doubt that there would be many watching the show that could fully remember the backstories. The first book was faithfully reproduced by the television series almost wholus bolus but the second book is quite different. Entire characters and events have been omitted for the sake of clarity and items from future books have been brought forward even into the second series. Having just read Book 2 I wish that the tv show had been able to reproduce the full story because I think the tale is thorough and brilliant and compelling plus we would have needed another dozen episodes to get through it. Who would be up to Game of Thrones 40 weeks a year? I'll put my hand up.

Anthony

Thats the problem with adaptations from books to series/movies. Clearly budget/time contraints are the key here. However, noticed that each GOT episode is just under an hour and most tv series are around 40 mins or just over. So i think they're trying to compact more air time into each episode to keep it down to 10 episodes per season. This is such a good series that i think expanding it to include more episodes will make a difference, certainly for the network show ratings.

For what its worth, Tyrion certainly entertains in GOT.

Edited by Porkbuns69

• 2 weeks later...

Guest Peter the Greek

Oh holy crap, holy crap, I'm up to the last 5 minutes (watching on the train), my god what a development indeed - bring it on!

• 1 month later...
Guest Peter the Greek

Well......didn't see that coming.....certainly shuts down a whole section of the story, whilst opening up another - not sure I liked this weeks episode

The Red Wedding is probably the most traumatic part of the entire series (I've read all the books). I remember very nearly throwing the book across the room in anger when I read that chapter! WHY!!???

Seeing it on screen was interesting, because even though I knew what was coming I still found it very confronting. It was pretty brutal.

GoT does a fantastic job of repeating the following pattern:

1) Get to know characters

2) Starting to really get into the story

3) Get punched right in the guts: "WHAT THE **** WERE YOU THINKING GEORGE R.R. MARTIN YOU MANIAC!?

4) "I'm not sure I can keep going with this series. It just won't be the same without character X"

5) The next chapter opens up a whole new angle that sucks you back in.

Rinse and repeat!

Edited by twwen2