Game of Thrones

Guest Peter the Greek

Decided to not wait till the disc release, bought it on iTunes, about to start ep 3, so far 1 and 2 have been brilliant. 

I had zero issues with how Arya left the show (I presume her leaving with the hound was her last scene) it’s how it should have been. All her training paid off and she re-united with the only one she could trust. Happy days. 

Now, I’m assuming there’s going to be some dragon destruction tonight ?

1 hour ago, Sime V2 said:

I had zero issues with how Arya left the show (I presume her leaving with the hound was her last scene) it’s how it should have been. All her training paid off and she re-united with the only one she could trust. Happy days. 

Now, I’m assuming there’s going to be some dragon destruction tonight ?

Have you actually watched the last episode. That's not how she left the show.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, groovem said:

Have you actually watched the last episode. That's not how she left the show.

Read again what I said in the post you quoted. 

I only assumed this because it looked familiar to the way someone described her last scene. 

Edited by Sime V2

Well, don’t know what everyone else was expecting, but that was an absolute masterpiece. 

Ned and Catelyn should be proud. 

Edited by Sime V2

What a let down of a season! The last 2 season have been average compared to the first 6..It really felt like they had a list of things to tick off in the story so they just went through the motions to get it done..I'm devastated! Lucky i can always fall back to Deadwood and the Sopranos over and over..

2 hours ago, SCOOTER said:

What a let down of a season! The last 2 season have been average compared to the first 6..It really felt like they had a list of things to tick off in the story so they just went through the motions to get it done..I'm devastated! Lucky i can always fall back to Deadwood and the Sopranos over and over..

I agree @SCOOTER, very disappointed in this last season in particular. I would count Breaking Bad in with Deadwood and the Sopranos too.:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

On 24/05/2019 at 4:30 PM, SCOOTER said:

Thing is Martin didn't write most of the last seasons so what pandemonium we always expected didn't transpire. I thought the last ep was a bit Hollywood and soft given the tone of the earlier stuff but I guess you cant end it with everyone being killed. Ironically probably the ending everyone wanted but didn't want to see.

On 03/06/2019 at 8:04 PM, MoveD said:

SPOILER!!!

I like this rewrite and it all definitely makes better sense.

Yeah. This would have been much better. It’s a continuation of the story instead of what we actually got, which was a season that could stand by itself. Where was the magic? The backstory was just crapped on. Arya’s training? Why did we sit through a whole freaking season watching her develop her skills only to have her just run around the city in a daze for the entire last episode or have a sex scene? So many long and interesting character arcs just fizzled into nothing. The biggest WTF moment for me was Bran’s reaction to being named king. I switched it off at that point as it was just taking the piss.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/06/2019 at 11:45 PM, deviltoob said:

Yeah. This would have been much better. It’s a continuation of the story instead of what we actually got, which was a season that could stand by itself. Where was the magic? The backstory was just crapped on. Arya’s training? Why did we sit through a whole freaking season watching her develop her skills only to have her just run around the city in a daze for the entire last episode or have a sex scene? So many long and interesting character arcs just fizzled into nothing. The biggest WTF moment for me was Bran’s reaction to being named king. I switched it off at that point as it was just taking the piss.

Yeah biggest WTF for me was the Night King getting killed by Arya's ninja wire-fu! It was an open clearing and she literally appeared out of thin air? The White Squires who do SFA except pass their king his spears where in formation but back at the edge of the ring of people like everyone else, but apparently Arya moved close enough to them to make their hair move, then appeared 20 odd metres in front of them atop the Night King?? Not to mention the Night King touched her flesh..

An 8 season villainous threat, from the opening of the very first episode, and we get rickrolled like that?

Pffft..

That rewrite is pretty on point.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, likwidsh0k said:

Yeah biggest WTF for me was the Night King getting killed by Arya's ninja wire-fu! It was an open clearing and she literally appeared out of thin air? The White Squires who do SFA except pass their king his spears where in formation but back at the edge of the ring of people like everyone else, but apparently Arya moved close enough to them to make their hair move, then appeared 20 odd metres in front of them atop the Night King?? Not to mention the Night King touched her flesh..

An 8 season villainous threat, from the opening of the very first episode, and we get rickrolled like that?

Pffft..

That rewrite is pretty on point.

At the time I didn’t mind the scene where the Night King died as I thought they would have an equally enthralling battle down south to end the story with a bang. But, in hindsight, when all we saw was Cersei standing there doing sweet **** all for the entire last episode, I realised the whole thing was basically wrapped up. 

Euron’s whole role was particularly shite by the end. I have no idea what his motivation was by that point. He just became a plot device designed to annoy the viewer. 

I think its it’s clear the show suffered from a common occurrence in TV shows and movies these days. They are particularly good at writing the start and middle of a story but when it comes to delivering the main point of the shows existence they try to outsmart the audience by trying to make themselves look ‘creative’ but what really happens is they end up destroying the story in the process of trying to be cool. I blame Christopher Nolan for all that.

Edited by deviltoob

Arya kill was some payoff for all her faceless man arc, which I didn't enjoy much and upon learning it was a Mission Impossible thing even less, especially when she is mimicking people considerably taller than her. Yeah these 2 excellent villains, from the opening ep, one does bugger all and gets ninja wire-fu'd and the other crushed by rubble. Also there was so much strategically wrong with the Night King battle, eg sending in the Dothraki on their horses with normal blades, when planning they had no idea the red witch was going to return and flame their blades, so they would have been sacrificed as they were but with normal blades without slaying a single undead. Plus the Night King didn't raise them and charge Winterfell with undead Dothraki on undead horses. Talked about that at Whingepool before I saw the rewrite mention of the undead horses.

Euron was the most ridiculous out of place and out of nowhere character shoehorned into any TV series pretty much. Especially when he left Dragonstone abondoned with its doors open when if he had moved in the Greyjoys would have one of the most impregnable castle and control the seas to the east and west and the strategic entrance to Kings Landing and made him a far more interesting believable relevant and integral character not just 'cool dude'.

There is a for this show though, the books ended at book 5 / season 5 and so D&D had no source material to script from and wrote most of the last 3 seasons stories/dialogue/arcs themselves.. "Series creators David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, the showrunners, write most of the episodes each season."

Edited by likwidsh0k