Game of Thrones

Guest Peter the Greek

Underwhelmed after watching for 8 years. The lack of any comment between my wife and I about it at the end was telling. I think I put on a Youtube video and she checked her whatsapp ?

Seemed to me that it was deliberately left with key characters intact, ripe for a future restart or spinoffs.

1 hour ago, MrC said:

I found the last episode to be very rushed with major plot holes and a very unconvincing ending.  Having the main characters sit in a semi-circle and glibly agree with Tyrion (with no real discussion of the idea or even debate) that Bran should be King was rather ludicrous. 

But they all know Bran is a special being without equal and like no other.

Compared to everyone past and present he is absolutely non corruptible and the fact he can't breed a little **** was what sealed the deal.

Edited by Satanica

• Administrator

Apparently there are five spin offs already in the works and two already have a green light for a pilot episode.

We already know of a prequel, so perhaps there is the potential for sequels that follow the story of Arya, the North Queen, or Jon and the Wildlings?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJGopal said:

The Mega Happy Ending was the biggest twist of the whole series!

I don't see it like that.

The Mega Happy Ending would have been a non psychopathic-pyromaniac marrying her nephew and inbreeding as queen and king happily ever after with Cersei's ashes in an urn on the mantelpiece.

Edited by Satanica

2 hours ago, Satanica said:

But they all know Bran is a special being without equal and like no other.

Compared to everyone past and present he is absolutely non corruptible and the fact he can't breed a little **** was what sealed the deal.

Oh yeah right ......

• Love 1

Some shows get axed and the writers have to tie up loose ends in a very short space of time, but this show decided when it would end, so no excuse for sloppy writing or poor pacing.

If this last season was a standalone one season mini-series, the shortcomings would've been "understood", but not when a show is able to bow out when it decides to. It's like the writers thought at the 11th hour that this was the last season and there wasn't one more, and when they were told they had to rush everything.

Definitely downhill after the show passed the books and what could have been the best show ever has fallen over at the last minute. 

Must be more concerned with the shows that will branch off GOT and the money that will come with it. 

I hope Mr Martin has a great holiday and maybe finishes the books in time. 

I thought it ended fittingly and bittersweet.  The pacing was generally off the last 2 seasons, so could have been better in that sense, but if that’s my biggest gripe I’m not going to dwell on it.  Had to end somehow, this is the end we got.  Felt sad today it’s all over now.   Let’s see if the books ever get finished!!

• Like 3

Guest Peter the Greek
5 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Definitely downhill after the show passed the books and what could have been the best show ever has fallen over at the last minute.

100%. I lost interest 2 or 3 seasons ago for this reason (which I only just discovered, having listened to the audio books) 

I had it teetering on the edge as my number one ever, but its slid down to 3 or lower now....actually I think it'd struggle to make my top 10.....

What was it? 2 years to make these last episodes? please, what a joke.

Guest Peter the Greek
2 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Apparently the books will be finished and they won't follow the show

Here's hoping. There is so much more going on in the books. That prince/kid who's the "rightful" heir. Mrs Stark still kicking around. Lots more potential.....I look forward to them.

10 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Yep, even at the white walker battle I was still into it enough. Now I don't think I'll buy the box set.

That battle had me teetering on the edge, the blazing of Kings Landing tipped me over the edge. Sure they were incredibly large in scale and important to the story as a whole , but I thought they both went on WAY too long and lost the shock and awe nature of the whole show.

I will buy the box set though as I want to see it at its best.

I quite liked the final episode... EXCEPT... Bran's story line had basically stalled a couple of seasons back and he was simply taking up space and not doing much, and then ends up with the ultimate prize despite giving the impression he didn't want it, yet appeared to know all along he would end up king.

I'm really hoping for an Arya spin off, as she is my favourite character, as well as being the only protagonist left which looks to have an exciting and uncertain future.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

@Peter the Greek

Yep, even at the white walker battle I was still into it enough. Now I don't think I'll buy the box set. 

11 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

Here's hoping. There is so much more going on in the books. That prince/kid who's the "rightful" heir. Mrs Stark still kicking around. Lots more potential.....I look forward to them.

Not quite, from the man himself: "How will it all end? I hear people asking. The same ending as the show? Different? Well... yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes," he said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-21/game-of-thrones-finale-reaction-live-blog/11132980

18 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

@Peter the Greek

I don't think George RR Martin will live long enough to finish the books. Apparently this was a concern to the producers of GOT so they asked him how he wanted it to end.

I didn't mind the end, in a limp-lettuce kind of way. :D 

It had to end. I liked the way Snow went back to the wildlings.

If you stabbed Danaerys, you'd hang around for the dragon to show up? Please. I would have passed my own skeleton when it emerged from the snow earlier. I always find the indifferent regard actors have to huge CGI creatures lets things down a tad.

Why would Danaerys suddenly trust Jon?

The king selection was weird and out of character for everyone.

Meh, time for it to end.

I am interested that so many people didn't like the Kings Landing attack, it was meant to go on and on, that was the point, just non stop carnage, which is what it was. It was to drive a point home.

I don't bag the whole series for it though, those first five or six seasons are fantastic!!!

Edited by Darren69

21 hours ago, blybo said:

I quite liked the final episode... EXCEPT... Bran's story line had basically stalled a couple of seasons back and he was simply taking up space and not doing much, and then ends up with the ultimate prize despite giving the impression he didn't want it, yet appeared to know all along he would end up king. 

Bran was the most annoying part of the whole thing. They establish that he could manipulate the past when he wargs. The knight king comes and he's off warging during the whole battle right up to the point the knight king arrives to kill him, apparently just using some birds to look around. Also did he manipulate other events to get to the throne, big hole should have been covered.

• Like 2