Game of Thrones

Guest Peter the Greek

Guest Peter the Greek
1 hour ago, groovem said:

I see that 300,000 people have signed a petition to get the last episode remade with "Better Writers".

Gets my vote.

....please, as if Daenerys would turn mad - she's all about free the slaves, let people live in harmony blah blah, there is NO way she would just go and burn a million odd people on a dragon....its garbage

So who'll survive? Arya had better not get killed....

39 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I really liked the twist, all despots are blinded by their own vanity and millions pay.

Me too, but it wouldn't have hurt devoting another episode or two of her "going to the dark side".

• Like 1

16 hours ago, groovem said:

I see that 300,000 people have signed a petition to get the last episode remade with "Better Writers".

How about a petition demanding better picture quality than the bandwidth starved crap that Foxtel serve up.

• Like 1

Guest thathifiguy
16 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

Gets my vote.

....please, as if Daenerys would turn mad - she's all about free the slaves, let people live in harmony blah blah, there is NO way she would just go and burn a million odd people on a dragon....its garbage

Such a significant character arc would have been discussed and confirmed with George RR Martin himself.

It ties back to the below clip. I agree though that the shorter season made this seem to happen very quick, but it was always going to.

Season 2 Clip 

Guest Peter the Greek
3 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

confirmed with George

He's said a number of times that the narrative in the books will be very different to the TV show. Too much too soon imo if it was going to happen.

Edited by Peter the Greek

On 17/05/2019 at 6:21 PM, Peter the Greek said:

Gets my vote.

I don’t know , I picked it about 3 seasons ago. I said to the missus she is going to turn out worse than Cersei.

I sat there with my bottom lip on the floor in shock but definitely not surprised. 

I loved it , can’t wait to see how it ends. 

Edited by Pops110

On 17/05/2019 at 6:54 PM, groovem said:

I've been thinking all along with this series that the story is going to poo. I thought episode 3 and 5 became boring with monotonous scenes of battle and mass homicide going on far too long. That is not what this show has been about.

I suppose Arya now has a new name to add to her list.

1 hour ago, blybo said:

I've been thinking all along with this series that the story is going to poo. I thought episode 3 and 5 became boring with monotonous scenes of battle and mass homicide going on far too long. That is not what this show has been about.

But this is exactly what it's been building up to. Did you think everyone was going to shake hands and have a big piss up with Tyrion?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Satanica said:

But this is exactly what it's been building up to. Did you think everyone was going to shake hands and have a big piss up with Tyrion?

Spot on mate. Wasn’t going to be all Rainbows and Lollipops. ?

1 hour ago, Satanica said:

Of course not, but killing off so many people in 2 episodes alone in such obvious manners sort of leaves me feeling let down. I wanted a face to face with Cersei and Danny. Cersei just standing their looking smug until obviously beaten was an anti climax. 

Will Jon be forced to kill the (now clearly unstable/mad) women he loves or will Arya do it? Or more likely knowing GoT tradition, will Danny become all she hated in a Tyrant who kills off the Starks and Jon? Where's Tyrion btw?

I'm particularly disappointed in the story line of Bran, it's just fizzled out when it promised so much.

While I think the season was rushed in parts, I thoroughly enjoyed the last episode and some of the ironies. I read the books as they came out, and realised I've waited 23 years for an ending. Still like to see George have a crack at completing the books, but that's unlikely. D&D did an incredible job at putting what seemed like an unfilmable story on the screen. Technically, it has to be the greatest accomplishment ever for the medium.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2019 at 1:30 PM, warweary said:

A dwarf will sit on the iron throne!

It seemed the only sensible outcome......the "Hand" to the Throne, ultimately reasons policy .

I predicted such a ending several posts ago., .....Though, placed as a 'Hand" wasn't perceived.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Worst episode ever. Absolutely boring, predictable, did I mention boring?

Totally agree. A disappointing finale.

Still trying to understand the significance of the final scene myself (Snow/Wildlings).

I had very low expectations for the finale but I ended up enjoying it, mostly. I thought it was the most consistent episode, in the context of the inconsistent S8 plot progression. I think if they had executed the finale season better, better closures, more consistency, more build-up, they would have ended up more or less with the same finale but it would have been much more satisfying.

• Like 1

I haven’t seen this last series yet (waiting for the disc release) but my wish for the last episode was for of course a huge battle where everyone dies, including Tyrion killing his sister (I don’t know if she dies and by who) and Tyrion being the last man standing. Last scene, he walks into the iron throne room, stares at the iron throne, walks over, sits in the chair, pours himself a wine, takes a sip, exhales, smiles and the from behind the throne, a hand grabs him by his forehead, pulls his head back hard, and cuts his throat, and then fade to black………………

After watching this last episode, I have to say it makes this whole season very poor overall. Some of the character arcs played out as we expected, but in such a short amount of time?

Ultimately, even with the battles in this season, nothing felt grandiose, green screen work was very poor, particularly this last episode. One of the things this show did so well up until the current season was create a sense of scale, that the Seven Kingdoms was a huge world in itself. Nothing about this last season felt "big". I'm sure the writers/creators will say that was deliberate and it is all about the main characters? I say horse***t. The show peaked with the battle of the Bastards.

Lets hope George writes his own satisfactory conclusion to this world in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Totally agree. A disappointing finale.

Still trying to understand the significance of the final scene myself (Snow/Wildlings).

I think they pretty much nailed it with no major complaints from me.

My memory of the last scene was Arya sailing off in to the distance.

I was underwhelmed with the very limited level of plot twists in the final season - not what we had come to expect of GoT. IMO a simple change could have put a whole new complexion on things by having Bran's eyes flash blue when no-one was watching [highlight the gap to read - don't know how to do spoilers here].

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Goatboy said:

While I think the season was rushed in parts, I thoroughly enjoyed the last episode and some of the ironies. I read the books as they came out, and realised I've waited 23 years for an ending. Still like to see George have a crack at completing the books, but that's unlikely. D&D did an incredible job at putting what seemed like an unfilmable story on the screen. Technically, it has to be the greatest accomplishment ever for the medium.

When a show goes on so long as GOT did, the writers face a difficult job in trying to come to a proper conclusion.  Having seen all, I feel that the show ran out of puff and some of the rather weak plot lines in the last season is representative of the fact that it was just too hard to reach the heights of previous seasons.  I found the last episode to be very rushed with major plot holes and a very unconvincing ending.   Having the main characters sit in a semi-circle and glibly agree with Tyrion (with no real discussion of the idea or even debate) that Bran should be King was rather ludicrous. 

Guest thathifiguy
9 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Worst episode ever. Absolutely boring, predictable, did I mention boring?

Could have been worse, they could have all become lumberjacks!