Sign in to follow this  
n.litzow

Speaker Pairing for Rotel RA-1520

Hello everyone,

I am new to Hi-Fi but am just assembling my first (entry-level) serious system. I just bought a Rotel RA-1520 integrated amplifier and now I am on the lookout for a set of bookshelf speakers that would be a good match. This is for a 10m x 3.6m x 3m quite dead (mostly carpeted) open-plan space. The lady of the house has dictated that floorstanders are not an option. Ultimately I would also be looking to add a subwoofer to the mix to adequately cover the bass. At the moment I am just using a Pro-ject DAC box for input which I will also upgrade down the track.

I was thinking to spend $AUD1000-1500 but could stretch to $2000 if there is a significant and justifiable increase in quality.

I know that the only way to pick speakers is by auditioning them which I plan to do shortly. However, it would be very helpful to have a list of vetted options on which to focus. There is an incredible number of different options out there. It would also be helpful to get an Australian perspective given the different pricing and availability here.

So far I've only listened to the Polk LSiM703 which I thought were excellent. A lot of people talk about B&W being a good match for Rotel (685, CM1, CM5). From other forums, KEF (Q300, R300, R100, LS50), Dynaudio (Excite X12, DM 2/6, DM 2/7), ATC (SCM11) and PMC (DB1i, twenty .21/.22) have also been recommended, though the latter are a little out of my league.

If anyone could share their experiences with the above or suggest any other options, it would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Nick

Edited by n.litzow

with 60w, looks for higher sens speakers with good impedance and phase plot.

ATC is out of question, they need 200w :)

anything above 90db. its rare :), to get a good bass with small cones need to be lower sensitivity.

u could DIY though :).

i would suggest to try usher s520, its a good entry level speakers.

sometimes u can find 2nd hand, which sells around 200-250$.

if u have sub, it could be a fun system :).

get 2 svs or rhytmik subs.

to get even bass, usually needs 3.

1 in the front corner, 1 on the farthest spot u can put from the main speaker, prob behind the seats another one is in between.

but thats the state of the art :), the sub doesnt need to be expensive, as long as can play 105db spl reasonably.

in regards to usher, in my opinion its prob one of the best bargain for budget speakers aside from the infamous pioneer bp s22 of course :)

Many thanks, Henry. I look forward to hunting down a set of s520s to audition. I think that carlton audio visual stock them.

http://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/?q=node/view/835

For the subwoofer(s), would something like the Rythmik F12 or SVS SB-1000 be reasonable options? I've heard it's better to go for sealed rather than ported subwoofers where music is the primary application. Is that correct?

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/SB-1000#.UtOBHxYnK-I

Cheers,

Nick

So far I've not been able to track down a set of usher s520s to audition. I found out today that Trevor Lees possibly stock them. My pain tolerance wasn't high enough to visit there today. However, out of everything I've listened to so far, I've found these to be the best (in order of preference, source as I remember it in parentheses). I vastly preferred the few monitor audio speakers I tried in comparison with anything else. I know I should have listened to them all though my amp but I was limited by what the stores were able/willing to provide.

1. Monitor Audio Silver 2 (?same as RX2) (Cambridge Audio Minx XI, streamed audio)

2. Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 (as above)

3. Electrocompaniet ESB1 (small rega amp/rega CD player)

4. Davis Dufy (as above)

5. B&W CM1 (as above)

6. Polk LSiM703 (Rotel RA-1520/Rotel CD player) - found to be a bit muddy

Any thoughts on any of the above matching with a Rotel RA-1520?

Cheers,

Nick

Hmmm good idea. But then do I bring in my DAC too and risk being THAT customer?

Some stores are happy to loan their display speakers for a short period of time. This might be a good option because hopefully they are a little more "broken in" and also I get to hear them in my listening space!

Some stores are happy to loan their display speakers for a short period of time. This might be a good option because hopefully they are a little more "broken in" and also I get to hear them in my listening space!

best way to do it. although i would look for a speakers with additional woofer or 3way.

I've not seen too many three-way bookshelf speakers. So far only the Polk LSiM703 which I wasn't terribly impressed with. Can you recommend any others?

Edited by n.litzow