Rega Turntables Owners & Discussion Thread

A question for you experts

The sub chassis upgrade seems/is an essential early upgrade.

Where does this occur automatically as a rega standard?

Which model comes from the factory with a steel sub chassis?

I think it might be the RP8 that has the full metal subplatter. The RP6 has a metal cap that sits over the plastic subplatter.

Did a quick google search. You are correct. Initial appearances can be deceiving. The RP6 sub-platter:

post-109298-0-31594300-1391201860_thumb.

post-109298-0-00853700-1391201872_thumb.

Edited by Telecine

Something unsurprising totally surprising happens when you task two star designers to curate a catalog of their favourite objects: when Sotheby’s tapped Jony Ive and Marc Newson to pull together a list of goods to be auctioned off at the (RED) Auction.

18 of the Best Designs of All Time, Picked by Jony Ive and Marc Newson

One of them is a Rega TT. LOT SOLD. 40,000 USD !

Edited by Y B

I'm running a stock standard P7 with the Apheta cart, into a Perreaux SXV2 phono stage. I also pop a Thorens stabiliser on the record and the whole thing sits on a piece of rubber footed marble.

I am very please with where I'm at with the sound, having journeyed up from a basic ProJect, adding different carts, amps and phono stages along the way.

Some would say the p7 was the table 'not to buy' as it' sits just far enough below the P9 to be inferior but at a price point that's not worth the saving. I haven't had the opportunity to compare but I am interested in knowing whether there are mods for the P7 which are worthwhile investing in, or whether perhaps the RP8 might be the way to go.

Obviously the salesman tells me the RP8 will seriously outperform the P7 but whether or not that's true, I suppose only a side by side trial will reveal.

Any advice or comments would be gratefully received.

post-141167-0-13383900-1391218569_thumb.

post-141167-0-16251200-1391218693_thumb.

post-141167-0-21739000-1391218741_thumb.

post-141167-0-44353500-1391218780_thumb.

• Like 6

My poor Rega P5 has been without its partnering NAD amp for almost a month and the temptation to shuffle things around became too strong. Next weekend its moving to the main system,  

i needed a phono stage and had the choice of getting something that fitted the turntable now or one that suited the Conrad Johnson system it was going into.  Knowing me and my propensity to upgrade I decided to skip the baby steps and today I ordered a phono worthy of the system.

I knew I definitely wanted tubes and so began a week of trawling forums and reviews knowing an audition of most gear locally was unlikely.  I eliminated the obvious CJ preamp options because it was not flexible enough to grow with.  In the end the Zesto Andros looked the part in terms of something of appropriate quality that I could grow into ........and because its black, silver and curvy like my speakers.   So, in anticipation of the new setup my rega system photos will look more like this.

post-107315-0-68202700-1391337826.jpgpost-107315-0-43183700-1391337928.jpgpost-107315-0-68424200-1391337970.jpgpost-107315-0-01083600-1391337991_thumb.

I guess the table might be a little out of its league in a system it was not originally planned for but the Zesto is supposed to be amazing with MM and MC so I think it will provide an enjoyable upgrade path over the coming years and won't be too brutal with any table shortcomings.  The Rega was already fun and musical in the other system, i am quietly confident that aspect will only be enhanced in its new home.  I will report on the outcome in my District 9 thread.

• Like 3

Keep the p7 ,depending what is the sub platter made of, you might like to try one of the various alloy sub platters. ???

If I did feel the irresistible urge to upgrade to say a second hand P9 or even the new 10, any idea what a pre loved P7 might be worth? I've looked in the usual places but haven't seen any for sale to give me even a ballpark figure.

• Like 1

No antidote. Like my old grandad used to say: marriages based on lust don't last - there'll always be a tastier option. Better to take it steady, get to know each other, let deep and lasting love develop, grow old together.

Talked a lot of crap, he did. Buy one!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A quick update to my appreciation of my rega. Few mods recently, platter, cart and c'weight. All by our very own lovetube! Thanks Duc

zynyde4u.jpg

I'll get the actual as opposed to droid camera out soon and attempt to do Duc's work justice!

• Like 1

Just asking around to see if anyone have experience with a Achroplat or Achromat on a RP6? My understanding is that the glass platter on the RP6 is considered quite gd and should be left alone.

Edited by coeuslee
  • Like 1

A quick update to my appreciation of my rega. Few mods recently, platter, cart and c'weight. All by our very own lovetube! Thanks Duc

I'll get the actual as opposed to droid camera out soon and attempt to do Duc's work justice!

Looks like a nice Delrin platter there along with a Denon Cartridge blackangus ...

Yes some more pictures and more details of Duc's work would be great :)

Hey Dan,

That looks like a serious platter. And a new cart.

How does it sound?

It is sounding better than ever. Duc is the man, does terrific work. The cartridge made a huge difference of course but then the addition of the platter has helped greatly too - better stability, more body, and I think even slightly lower surface noise.

The platter is huge, weighs a few kilos and looks awesome. I love it

Just asking around to see if anyone have experience with a Achroplat or Achromat on a RP6? My understanding is that the glass platter on the RP6 is considered quite gd and should be left alone.

I have the achroplat, better than glass, not as good as the delrin. Are you in Melbourne? You could try mine, I'll most likely move it on soon