Turntable Basics Part 1 - The Turntable

Wow, I wrote this ages ago. I might try and find some reading on tonearms and see if I can come up with somehing. Bear in mind that if I do this I might throw some statements out there just to incite better informed people to either confirm my thoughts or correct me, I have no problem with this. I'll see if I can find some time.

I seemed to get most of it right when I wrote this so I should be fine :cool:

DS

I did not see the original David (probably becasue I did not want to get another excuse to get into another source/$sink) but I sure enjoyed the read tonite - your words form easy mental images

That reminds me I have to pick up from work next week my 'balance bench' (our lab/manufacturing facility is closing down ). Its a very thick and heavy slab of granite (prob 150-200kgs?) that will form part of a norpus vinyl setup one day - likely another rectangular hole through my floorboards onto a tall concrete pile cemented well into the ground. Excessive mass and true isolation from the 'surf' when the IB wind blows and rocks the timbers

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi David,

Post #1 says "Belt Drive: this is where the motor is separated from the platter and the platted (sic) is driven by a belt. The idea is really an obvious way of decoupling the motor from the platter ...". I think that the last sentence is confusing to the newcomer who this post is aimed at, because the function of the belt is to *couple* the motor to the platter/turntable.

My thoughts were something like “….The idea is that the belt can couple the motor's torque to the platter, but isolate some of the motor's vibration from the platter, and hence the LP too.â€

Hope this helps.

The belt decouples the motor and any vibration from the platter while spinning at 33.3 or 45rpm.

Direct drive couples the motor to the platter.

David is 100% correct and we are polluting this thread again thanks to ....

• Like 1

The belt decouples the motor and any vibration from the platter while spinning at 33.3 or 45rpm.

Direct drive couples the motor to the platter.

David is 100% correct and we are polluting this thread again thanks to ....

• "the motor", no, the belt actually *couples* the motor to the platter. Quite the opposite thing, really.

• "any vibration", exaggeration, would be better to say "some vibration, if the belt is a soft rubber type".

It's only a very small suggested improvement to the original article. I'm surprised at how it is being received.

• 1 month later...

Wikipedia has a lot of information about vinyl records and turntables:

You find there the history of vinyl recordings and a lot of to the point information about records and turntables (and beautiful images of the groove itself). So I suppose it is a bit spoiled effort to tell the story one more time.

People who want to buy their first turntable mostly don’t start reading a lot about vinyl recordings and phono equipment. They buy a (second hand) turntable, cartridge, pre-amp and records. Anyway, after some time they get a bit curious about their choice. Was it a good buy? Probably it is this group of vinyl owners who are really interested in information about phono equipment. Because they want to buy something better, but what is better? Just a more expensive turntable and phono cartridge?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...