My Interpretation of the Flexy Rack

Marc

• Administrator

As I've mentioned in a few places, we're hoping to get our plans approved and build a new listening room in early 2014.

In the meantime, my system has been demoted from the lounge room to a corner of my office. At first it sucked, but I realised that after a bit of playing around it's quite manageable.

Struggling to find any soft of hi-fi rack that was reasonably priced, or not glass proved a real challenge. So yesterday I put together my own version.

Off to Bunnings for some supplies, I could only find 12mm ply. I laminated a couple of those together for a 24mm shelf. I got three coats of Jarrah stain/lacquer on last night and left overnight to cure.

Then assembly this morning. 5/8" all-thread was used to tie it all together. I've ordered some chrome acorn nuts to finish off the top.

The legs are chrome table legs, that I cut each one down to 3 pieces + a small foot.
These sit over the all-thread and nut / washer on each shelf.

The whole thing has ended up quite rigid and solid. Problem solved :)

post-103433-0-80903700-1388319842_thumb.

post-103433-0-98345600-1388319834_thumb.

post-103433-0-14657700-1388319814_thumb.

post-103433-0-91260200-1388319796_thumb.

post-103433-0-28705000-1388319777_thumb.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

That looks fantastic Marc.

I am not particularly gifted when it comes to building or assembling things but from reading your post I reckon me and a mate of mine who is savvy with this stuff, could put one together next weekend, or soonish.

Like you I have been searching in vain for a decent and affordable rack sans glass shelves and this looks the biz :thumb::)

Cool,

Won't be long before you head back to Bunnings for some more ply and end up with open baffle speakers, isolation platforms and a tapped horn down to 10hz for the bass!

Ahh Bunnings, a DIY audiophiles best friend.

Edited by ENIGMA

• Administrator

Cool,

Won't be long before you head back to Bunnings for some more ply and end up with open baffle speakers, isolation platforms and a tapped horn down to 10hz for the bass!

Open Baffle - all speakers (and horns) are sitting in a cupboard waiting for a rainy day.

Isolation Platforms - next week, maybe :)

Tapped Horn - too many other DIY designs I have in the works that interest me more, for now :)

• 6 years later...
  • Administrator

This was given away for free on SNA some time back now. Recently replaced with another custom - but had to call on Dad's fabrication skills for this one.

IMG_0870.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1