12th April : Whats spinning???

Quality Records is definitely a place to get into trouble with your credit card. But, if you feel like your credit card has had an easy day at Quality Records you can always try Vicious Sloth not far away down High St, plenty of tasty items there.

DS

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just returned from Quality records and have snagged a couple of nice discs. New Vinyl of Bjork's Homogenic (spinning now and sounding sublime I might add) and S&M by Metallica. 2nd hand I got Stop by Sam Brown, Waiting for Columbus by Little Feat and Showdown feat Albert Collins, Robert Cray and Johnny Copeland.

Nice trip and spent under a ton.

Lovely

Cheers

M

Just picked up the vinyl re-issue of the following 2004 album.

180gm and also comes with a bonus 7" with some extra tracks.

2024391.jpg

I remember looking up this album on metacritic in 2004 when I was scanning through some of the mostly highly rated albums of that year but never got around to buying it.

Pretty awesome, if you are even remotely interested in folk music (sort of a ying to say Nick Drake's yang).

Hey Veefy,

Just had that in my hot little hands at QR today. I was tempted but I don't know much of this dudes work so moved to other purchases.

Nice packaging and artwork too...

Cheers

M

2024391.jpg

I remember looking up this album on metacritic in 2004 when I was scanning through some of the mostly highly rated albums of that year but never got around to buying it.

Pretty awesome, if you are even remotely interested in folk music (sort of a ying to say Nick Drake's yang).

He still is fairly "indie" if that word means anything thesedays (in the sense that I would never had heard of him if I didn't trawl through the "best albums of calendar year list" on metacritic). Which I find to be generally a very good guide because if 30 seperate music reviewers think something its awesome its probably worth a listen.

His main instrument is actually the banjo (he plays acoustic guitar as well). Anyone there's a real delicacy in his playing and its very stripped back and uncomplex.

That's the page that got me interested in the first place.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/stevenssufjan/sevenswans

Sounds interesting. How's the production? Some of this stuff can be pretty lo-fi but then again some sounds wonderful.

Cheers

M

He still is fairly "indie" if that word means anything thesedays (in the sense that I would never had heard of him if I didn't trawl through the "best albums of calendar year list" on metacritic). Which I find to be generally a very good guide because if 30 seperate music reviewers think something its awesome its probably worth a listen.

His main instrument is actually the banjo (he plays acoustic guitar as well). Anyone there's a real delicacy in his playing and its very stripped back and uncomplex.

That's the page that got me interested in the first place.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/stevenssufjan/sevenswans

Just returned from Quality records and have snagged a couple of nice discs. New Vinyl of Bjork's Homogenic (spinning now and sounding sublime I might add) and S&M by Metallica. 2nd hand I got Stop by Sam Brown, Waiting for Columbus by Little Feat and Showdown feat Albert Collins, Robert Cray and Johnny Copeland.

Lovely

Cheers

M

Hi Unclemack, i picked up Eric Clapton'c new boxed set and boy does that Stan Ricker do a good job re-mastering these old gems.The funny thing is i bought it at Quality records today and i was wondering if any sna-ers where amongst the customers. Maybe a good place to wear our sna t-shirts!

regards Diesel

Hi Unclemack, i picked up Eric Clapton'c new boxed set and boy does that Stan Ricker do a good job re-mastering these old gems.The funny thing is i bought it at Quality records today and i was wondering if any sna-ers where amongst the customers. Maybe a good place to wear our sna t-shirts!

regards Diesel

maybe we should have a secret signal...

I was there about 12-ish. Looked at the Hendrix at Woodstock set...tempted but too poor for that today.

Cheers

M

Lovely

Cheers

M

maybe we should have a secret signal...

I was there about 12-ish. Looked at the Hendrix at Woodstock set...tempted but too poor for that today.

Cheers

M

I was there just after 1.pm i dont know about a secret signal uncle we might get thrown out for collusion to shoplift!

I like the youngish bit Daniel are you including me in that? I always thought you were a nice bloke.

Depends on how old you are :P

Q. Do you immediately gravitate to the Buddy Holly and Elvis sections of records fairs?

A......

Depends on how old you are :P

Q. Do you immediately gravitate to the Buddy Holly and Elvis sections of records fairs?

A......

A...... No but i don't gravitate to Kanye West or Jayz or whatever their names are and i did see Buddy the stage show and i own Elvis top 30 hits!

PJ Harvey's - White Chalk

My collection of her work is pretty limited so far as I'm a recent convert. Anyway her voice is amazing on this, though it's a deliberately restrained performance (almost whispering) on some tracks like "Dear Darkness".

Great cover artwork as well.

PJ-Harvey.jpg

Nice start to this thread Daniel.....Soultrane what an excellent album. I have that here on vinyl & is certainly an all time fav.

Well, I've been thinking about an older thread & looking into cd tracks (not entire albums), I think are of high quality. I haven't really checked into anything jazz, 'world' or classical etc , but looking more into rock based. Of course John Zorn & Anouar Brahem are exceptions here!

What I've come up with in the past few days are:

Faith No More: Evidence (King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime album)

Jeff Buckley: Everybody Here Wants You (Sketches For My Sweetheart the Drunk)

The Jayhawks: All the Right Reasons (Rainy Day Music)

Anouar Brahem: Most of the album (Le Pas Du Chat Noir ECM Records)

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: As I Sat By Her Side, The Sorrowful Wife & We Came Along This Road (No More Shall We Part)

Can: One More Night & Spoon (Ege Bamyasi Remastered)

Mathew Sweet: Looking at the Sun, Evangeline (Girlfriend Legacy 'Edition' Remastered)

John Zorn: Various albums & incarnations e.g. Masada, Filmworks etc.

Patti Smith: Birdland, Free Money & Break it Up (Horses 30th Anniversary Legacy Edition Remastered)

Praxis: Animal Behaviour (Transmutation mutatis mutandis)

Joseph Arthur: Honey & the Moon (Redemption's Son)

Spain: Every Time I Try (She Haunts My Dream)

Isaac Hayes: Walk on By (Hot Buttered Soul 24 Bit Remastered)

I know I've played a fair few more cd's in recent days, but can't think of them off hand. Some of these I have on vinyl, but cannot comment on the various merits of either source as no comparison has been made, plus I loathe my Pro-ject TT.

However, I do recall playing Neil Finn Try Whistling This cd album in particular the track Twisty Bass (a fav of mine) & being quite disappointed by the all round murky & rather muddled sound.

BTW Veefy if you ever get the chance to see PJ live - do. She is an absolute pocket dynamo & puts on an awesome show.

2024391.jpg

Ive just listened to this record for 2 days, and its a classic IMO. I bought the CD only, havent seen it on vinyl in my recent travels, but want to thank you Veefy for suggesting this album.

Its beautifully recorded, sparse where it needs to be, and dynamic.

For those who havent heard it....kind of a cross between Wilco (composition at times and vocals), Jose Gonzalez (sparseness), and Im not sure what else. This probably demands its own genre. Just buy it, and listen

:P

Cheers,

Jake

2024391.jpg

evening veefy,

thanks for the recommendation,picked it up on cd at jb today for $15 and just had a listen.i think it could be a collection of songs that are worth listening to a couple of times more.again,thanks for the heads up.

regards,guru.

Ive just listened to this record for 2 days, and its a classic IMO. I bought the CD only, havent seen it on vinyl in my recent travels, but want to thank you Veefy for suggesting this album.

Its beautifully recorded, sparse where it needs to be, and dynamic.

For those who havent heard it....kind of a cross between Wilco (composition at times and vocals), Jose Gonzalez (sparseness), and Im not sure what else. This probably demands its own genre. Just buy it, and listen

:cool:

Cheers,

Jake

One of the secretaries at work last Friday was after a recommendation for some new music (she like acoustic guitar etc like John Butler Trio etc).

Anyway I recommended she this album. So on Monday morning she came into the office and was telling me how she bought it on the weekend and how she thought it was awesome.

I'm buying a few copies for family gifts.