Sign in to follow this  
Ralph

New source unit ?

This may seem old hat to most of you, but christmas saw santa bring us our very first digital flat screen TV. (40" special from Dick smith), and all because I wanted (needed) an Apple TV.

The rest of the HT system is :

(new) Apple TV with HDMI out

AV - Cambridge Audio Azur 540 (lovely sound but only 1 HDMI input which is set to a single HDMI output )

PVR - Humax PVR Smart (SD only)

DVD - Marantz 4200

The AV powers a Klipsch centre speaker, B&W DM330 fronts and Interaudio surround speakers

Previously the AV put all the video output through s-video cable into a Philips CRT.

All was easily controlled through the CA with a single remote.

All was wonderful.

Now we are waging war with an army of remotes, multiple independent sources, odd image sizing on the TV and  a page long list of what to switch where, to watch what we want.

The DVD and Humax come through the AV channel, (no s-video available) and apple TV through HDMI. The image is significantly framed through the AV input.

After some research I think these are my options forward:

1  Replace the Humax and Marantz with a single BDP / PVR (with twin HD tuners). This unit should also have HDMI in so the apple tv can be incorporated into the mix.

The unit then feeds into the CA AV's HDMI and through to the TV (HDMI input). Source selection is controlled via this unit not at the AV level.

2  replace the AV with an HDMI based AV unit which can then switch between any input - Humax, DVD, Apple TV and output it through HDMI (or whatever ) to the TV.

Either option also needs to incorporate upscaling (ie. to make the picture fill most of the screen). 

I'm leaning towards # 1 - it will give us pause TV on all stations / access to Bluray discs / record HD TV. But it does seem a waste of otherwise good working components

Gentlemen, et al.

Are there any other options ? / thoughts ? / considerations ?

:confused:  Ralph :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't think there is a pvr/bluray recorder that has HDMI input.  My suggestion is buy one of the recorder from Samsung or Panasonic and get a hdmi switch.  The switch is pretty cheap, you can get it from www.ezyhd.com.au for less than $20.

Doesn't the new TV have multiple HDMI inputs that you can connect all your HDMI sources to? Then just use the TV remote to select the required input.

ralph a few suggestions, wire everything direct into the TV, audio into the AVR.

or go the switch if not enough hdmi inputs either way.

re the remotes, have you considered a universal remote. one to replace them all, have been using a harmony last ten years, its easy as pie. "watch tv" all input selections are done for you. watch DVD, or Watch AppleTV, or listen to radio or what ever else activity you want programmed. even aldi sells universal remotes now and then.

additionally if money stretches maybe consider an upgrade to the newer 551r ?

http://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/?q=node/view/1599

am sure could pick up under $1k someplace :) will solve your hdmi problems and give you an upgrade all around with processing etc am sure.

all suggestions would be simpler, cheaper in my opinion than going for an all in box thing that likely if fails takes your system capability out ! 

re blu-ray player you can get brand name ones for under $100 these days :)

Doesn't the new TV have multiple HDMI inputs that you can connect all your HDMI sources to? Then just use the TV remote to select the required input.

The TV has only 2 HDMI inputs.

There is only 1 HDMI output in my system - the Apple TV.

The AV passes the Apple TV to the HDMI on the TV and passes the rest (PVR & DVD) to the AV input on the TV. ( There is no upscaling on the AV input so my picture remains significantly small.)

I do use the TV remote to switch inputs, and the universal remote to control the AV / DVD / PVR and the Apple TV remote to manage... hence a page of instructions.

ralph a few suggestions, wire everything direct into the TV, audio into the AVR.

or go the switch if not enough hdmi inputs either way.

re the remotes, have you considered a universal remote. one to replace them all, have been using a harmony last ten years, its easy as pie. "watch tv" all input selections are done for you. watch DVD, or Watch AppleTV, or listen to radio or what ever else activity you want programmed. even aldi sells universal remotes now and then.

additionally if money stretches maybe consider an upgrade to the newer 551r ?

http://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/?q=node/view/1599

am sure could pick up under $1k someplace :) will solve your hdmi problems and give you an upgrade all around with processing etc am sure.

all suggestions would be simpler, cheaper in my opinion than going for an all in box thing that likely if fails takes your system capability out ! 

re blu-ray player you can get brand name ones for under $100 these days :)

Al I like your thinking

I already use a harmony remote which made (media watching) life so easy. The remote will have to be reprogrammed (just in itself that may clear up a few issues).

The 551r link is effectively my option 2

But all food for thought ...

Ralph

Thanks for the replies.

Just spent the best part of Sunday arvo. reprogramming my harmony remote. After a firmware and big software update, it seems to be able to cover the basics (and more), making media life easier.

I'm still getting only a small picture via the AV input into the TV. I can live with that for a week - until my local friendly HiFi store reopens.

Cheers

Ralph

The switch I mentioned comes with a IR remote so it can be controlled using the remote control.  The 3in 1 out switch does not even require a power supply unit and ezyhd site even include info on how it works with Harmony remote.

Edited by Jliang70

Found the switch on the site. I think it works based on HDMI inputs.

As my system stands at the moment, I only have 1 HDMI device - the rest are analogue. It doesn't convert and upscale from analogue does it?

Perhaps you are suggesting this in conjunction with the replacement of the DVD & PVR with a BDP/PVR.

As my system stands at the moment, I only have 1 HDMI device - the rest are analogue. It doesn't convert and upscale from analogue does it?

Perhaps you are suggesting this in conjunction with the replacement of the DVD & PVR with a BDP/PVR.

your avr is what usually does that.

I would suggest not to get one of those combination DVD/PVR or BD/PVRs. get them as separate units, its cheaper that way, you also get a choice of either component, and when one gives up the ghost both dont got back to their maker ! 

That is what I suggested that you replace dvd/pvr with BDP/PVR.  Upscaling and deinterlacing can be done by your TV and AVR.  Al's advice on separate pvr and bluray player is good but I have the panasonic bdp/pvr for more than 2 years now and never have a problem.