World Music: Currently Spinning

Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia - Friday Night in San Fancisco

71uJt0HiMtL._SX425_.jpg

I was a bit undecided whether to post this in the Jazz or World Music currently spinning threads, as I think it fits quite comfortably in either. But since I am viewing the World Music thread at the moment, it might as well go here.

This is a classic album that many here will be familiar with. Recorded live in 1980, and released in 1981, this is a 1997 20 bit remastered CD release.

It has been quite a long time since I last played this, and I'd almost forgotten how good this album is. Three superb musicians who gel together brilliantly in a wonderful performance, in front of a very enthusiast and appreciative audience. The interplay between the musicians is just superb, and there are some wonderful moments of good humour. The feedback from the audience just adds to the atmosphere, and I'm sure the musicians were feeding off that and giving back their best. Sound quality is very good too, the remaster appears to have been done very well.

I do wonder though if there is a bit more where this came from that we haven't heard yet. Adding up the timings for the tracks (omitting the last track, which was a 1981 studio recording in New York), I get an approximate total of around 37 minutes. That seems a bit short for a concert of this calibre, and makes me wonder what additional gems may be sitting on the original tapes and have never been released. I guess the playing time of the original album was probably dictated by what can comfortably sit on two sides of an LP, but it would be great to see a new full length release of this recording (but only if my assumptions are correct, of course).

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 1

@emesbee I was lucky enough to see these guys back in '83 at the Sydney Town Hall. An outstanding performance it was. One of the support acts was none other than Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs, Deep Purple) doing a solo acoustic set. He later came on stage with Mssrs McLaughlan, Di Meola and De Lucia to make up an acoustic quartet of virtuosos, the result was spectacular. A point of interest, the trio was originally meant to have included Larry Coryell rather than Di Meola, but a switch was made due to Coryell's other contractual obligations. Coryell can be seen as part of the trio in the dvd of a prior concert, "The Meeting of The Spirits."

Edited by t_mike
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, t_mike said:

@emesbee I was lucky enough to see these guys back in '83 at the Sydney Town Hall. An outstanding performance it was. One of the support acts was none other than Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs, Deep Purple) doing a solo acoustic set. He later came on stage with Mssrs McLaughlan, Di Meola and De Lucia to make up an acoustic quartet of virtuosos, the result was spectacular. A point of interest, the trio was originally meant to have included Larry Coryell rather than Di Meola, but a switch was made due to Coryell's other contractual obligations. Coryell can be seen as part of the trio in the dvd of a prior concert, "The Meeting of The Spirits."

Now that would have been something to see!

Joseph Tawadros - Betrayal Of A Sacred Sunflower

Tawadros1.jpg.b9f102b859d2f56e8d429e9994262286.jpg

• Like 1