• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So due to popular demand (or at least two "likes" to the idea), I'm starting a thread dedicated to the weird, wonderful world of erm, "World Music".  Here we can enjoy the folk/rock/fusion/gumbo that

The hour of separation is my fave. He can be a bit relentlessly virtuosic on his own and benefits from being reined in as part of a larger group of big talents. Joseph Tawadros (Oud) John Abercro

Here are some terrific collaborations/improvisations from musicians from Turkey through to India.   Persian Night Silence Desert - Mohammed Reza Shajrian & Kayhan Kalhor   Persian/Turkish.  

On 06/07/2020 at 7:35 AM, herehear! said:

thankyou @mrbuzzardstubble, can anyone remember the 'earthcore' series from Triple J? I think they were amongst my earliest introduction to world music. R-4946846-1417082462-4259.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Triple-J-Earthcore/release/4946846

many excellent world, global, call it what you will, musics featured on Melbourne's PBS and RRR FM stations, it's just good music, many and varied. In fact listening to one of my faves now The Good, The Dub and The Global, RRR Tues 2 - 4pm, archived as well,

https://www.rrr.org.au/explore/programs/the-good-the-dub-the-global

regards Ian

D = for [Dunkelbunt].

a2821877445_2.jpg

Love their eclectic style. Can't remember when I first contacted them, based in Austria I think, and, just for a lark, emailed them to invite them to Australia. Didn't think any more off it. And then, then, then one evening I get a txt from family member saying [Dunkelbunt] is about to perform in 'The Loft' in Warrnambool at 9pm. And the time is 8.50pm. Aaarrggh.

I was alternately astounded, then spewing. Spewing that I was about to miss out on a live performance from this amazing outfit, astounded that they bothered to get to Australia and were about to perform sortof 'down the road'. I suppose they must have 'bundled' the trip with Womadelaide, or even the Pt. Fairy folkie.

Have a listen to their stuff. Good fun and stylishly encompassing.

Edited by herehear!
fixed hyperlink
  • Like 2
On 05/07/2020 at 11:13 PM, herehear! said:

First entry [please be kind], not having read every page in this thread, but surely someone has mentioned Angelique Kidjo, absolutely love that 'Oremi' album.

61sx0hj6gdL._SX355_.jpg

Ever seen her live? Dynamo on stage!

3 hours ago, Ian McP said:

Ever seen her live? Dynamo on stage!

Sadly, no. When she's next in M'bourne I def. want to. Where did you see her?

19 hours ago, herehear! said:

Sadly, no. When she's next in M'bourne I def. want to. Where did you see her?

Saw her at Womadelaide 2019 where she performed her version of Talking Heads' Remain In Light.

https://www.womadelaide.com.au/artists/2019/angelique-kidjo

< Performing Talking Heads' "Remain In Light"

One of the great divas of our age, Angélique Kidjo takes on one of the iconic albums of the ‘80s and returns it to Africa. Talking Heads’ ground-breaking Remain In Light album was heavily influenced by the music of West Africa, and Kidjo reimagines the original with her own euphoric vocals, electrifying rhythms and explosive percussion. “We all know that rock music came from the blues and thus from Africa. Now is the time to bring rock back to Africa, connect our minds, and bring all our sounds to a new level of sharing and understanding,” says Kidjo.

“Transformative … raises the ante on every parameter of the original” - The New York Times >

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Ian McP said:

Saw her at Womadelaide 2019 where she performed her version of Talking Heads' Remain In Light.

https://www.womadelaide.com.au/artists/2019/angelique-kidjo

< Performing Talking Heads' "Remain In Light"

One of the great divas of our age, Angélique Kidjo takes on one of the iconic albums of the ‘80s and returns it to Africa. Talking Heads’ ground-breaking Remain In Light album was heavily influenced by the music of West Africa, and Kidjo reimagines the original with her own euphoric vocals, electrifying rhythms and explosive percussion. “We all know that rock music came from the blues and thus from Africa. Now is the time to bring rock back to Africa, connect our minds, and bring all our sounds to a new level of sharing and understanding,” says Kidjo.

“Transformative … raises the ante on every parameter of the original” - The New York Times >

And she, and her amazing band, would be one of the select view to inject new life and a new perspective into any song.  Just remembered 'voodoo chile' which demos. the point.

What I really enjoy is anytime they turn up the funk. It's like there's some magic mix of french and african funk that just hits the spot.

Released on the Nonesuch Explorer Series, this album of traditional Balinese music, as played on the Gamelan, is absolutely beautiful music. For those unknowing of what the Gamelan is, I suggest you look it up, there just isn't enough space here to give a faithful description. The Gamelan used on this album is really quite old, and had just undergone it's second restoration prior to this recording in '69. One can only hope it's future preservation is in some way assured. 

1595942373508429227519683211314.jpg

• Like 1
  • Marc pinned and unpinned this topic