post-110730-0-30532600-1388544168_thumb.

Lakshmi Shankar - Season & Time - 2001 - CD

Female vocalist accompanied by Tabla and Tampura. All selections in North Indian traditional form; Khyal, Tarana, Thumri and Bhajan.  

From the liner notes:

Khyal - Literally means imagination or fantasy, a succession of the dhrupad tradition, gaining popularity around the 17th Century.

Tarana - A fast and exciting composition, usually sung at the end of a Khyal.

Thumri - A 'light' classical form, gained popularity after the 18th Century. Mostly based on 'light' raga, it can be romantic, sensual or devotional.

Bhajans -  Are devotional songs, mostly written in the 15th Century, by the saint-poets of the time.

This album was an an excellent find.

Especially when you consider that I bought it for $5, thinking it was L Shankar from Shakti!  :hiccup   :sorry:

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So due to popular demand (or at least two "likes" to the idea), I'm starting a thread dedicated to the weird, wonderful world of erm, "World Music".  Here we can enjoy the folk/rock/fusion/gumbo that

The hour of separation is my fave. He can be a bit relentlessly virtuosic on his own and benefits from being reined in as part of a larger group of big talents. Joseph Tawadros (Oud) John Abercro

Here are some terrific collaborations/improvisations from musicians from Turkey through to India.   Persian Night Silence Desert - Mohammed Reza Shajrian & Kayhan Kalhor   Persian/Turkish.  

After last nights play it loud moments this morning much more chilled. So chilled I just realised is no longer morning. A few that I have played today that I think fit into this thread.

Posted Image

Anouar Brahem, The Astounding Eyes of Rita. This is a beautifully recorded album. Perfect start to the day.

Posted Image

Madredeus, Antologia, beautiful voice

Posted Image

Sultan Khan and Zukir Hussain, Sonorous Sound of Serangi. I actually owned this before living in India. It was living in Adelaide and Womad that planted the world seed.

Posted Image

Sona, Sona. Bought this one when living in Mumbai on the recommendation of my local cd shop.

Since this thread started my "world" section of the cd rack has been tapped into much more than usual. Thanks guys for sparking the interest. I must have 20-30 Songline cover disks from about 6-7 years ago. That could start something if I delve into them.

• Like 3

thats where I would disagree. I'm fine with electronica, samples, deep forest etc. bring it on what ever the form. call it cross cultural, fusion to me good music is good what ever the form, though am sure many will dissagree on what forms good music. as with anything one mans trash anothers treasure :)

There hasn't been any trash mentioned in this thread at all  :)

I like electronica, it's just on a different shelf to my world music. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

sometimes music comes to you from all kinds of sources,

I remember hearing a few riffs of some nice music from a couple of movies,

Bend it like beckham

MI0000381394.jpg

http://www.allmusic.com/album/bend-it-like-beckham-milan-mw0000022133

"Review by Heather Phares

Much like the soundtrack for The Guru, the music featured in Bend It Like Beckham features a mix of pop and Indian music. Unlike The Guru, however, this soundtrack is much more focused in both its scope and purpose: Bend It Like Beckham's director picked the music from her own personal music collection, focusing on artists of Indian descent likeGunjan and Bally Sagoo as well as strong, funky female artists including BlondieMelanie C, and, appropriately enough, Victoria Beckham. The album moves smoothly from songs like Texas' "Inner Smile" to Malkit Singh's "Jind Mahl" and Sagoo and Gunjan's "Noorie," both of which feature enough Westernized pop touches to blend well but still have distinctively Indian singing, melodies, and instruments. Melanie C's "Independence Day," B21's "Darshan,"Blondie's "Atomic," and Partners in Rhyme and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's "Tere Bin Nahin Lagda" are some of the other highlights from this diverse but surprisingly cohesive soundtrack."

and 

monsoon wedding

http://www.allmusic.com/album/monsoon-wedding-mw0000211380

MI0001054597.jpg

"Review by Evan Cater  [-]

Monsoon Wedding director Mira Nair has described her beautiful family drama as "a Bollywood film, made on my terms." It's a pretty apt description, though on the surface the subtly acted art house picture may seem to have very little in common with the elaborately choreographed musical productions for which the Indian film industry is famous. Whereas Bollywood products are generally characterized by broadly painted heroes and villains, Nair's characters are among the most three-dimensional and honestly realized in international cinema. They are not the sort of people who populate Bollywood entertainments, but they are the sort of people who pay to see them. They don't burst simultaneously into song, but they do dance to Indian pop music in their living rooms. They do belt out traditional celebratory songs at wedding parties. What Monsoon Wedding shares with Bollywood is its appreciation of India's deeply rooted cultural enthusiasm for song and dance. The soundtrack reflects the delightfully broad spectrum of the music that plays on middle-class stereos all over modern India. There is a thumping electronic Hindi disco tune, a soaring orchestral romantic ballad from the vinyl era, an infectiously melodious contemporary pop duet, and a festive traditional spiritual performed by the internationally revered Pakistani singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn. But most impressive of all is the film's original music. Sukhvinder Singh's rousing theme song, "Aaj Mera Jee Kardaa," expertly weaves traditional folk elements with sleek pop rhythms and strings. In a perfect alternate reality, it would probably be an Oscar winner. So would Mychael Danna's score. A recent Hindu groom himself and one of the most innovative composers in North American cinema, Danna elevates Nair's naturalistic hand-held camera narrative to a transcendent spiritual plane. The mystical "Fuse Box" almost single-handedly accomplishes the task of transforming the clownish wedding planner P.K. Dubey from a hilarious marigold-eating Indian version of Martin Short's Father of the Bride character to a thoroughly credible and even charming romantic lead. Unfortunately, that exquisite melody is hyped up to the point of tedium in two pounding techno remixes at the conclusion of the soundtrack album. They are a regrettable misstep in an otherwise brilliant compilation."

Some beautifull music on both these soundtrack albums I must say :)

This is a song based on a traditional folk song from Iran with poetry by 11th century Persian poet Baba Taher. The chorus melody is traditional and the verse melodies and instrumental sections were composed by Azam Ali and Loga Ramin Torkian.

Poetry translation:

I came into this world with no possessions
Awarded only a yearning heart
All those who came before me have returned to the dust
And it is from this dust which I have been created
O beloved, when will you arrive
I cannot bear one moment of this separation
Lucky are those who are on your path
Lucky are those who place their head at your feet
I am even willing to surrender my heart
To those whose hearts hold your love
Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust

-Baba Taher (11th century Persian poet)

Here are some terrific collaborations/improvisations from musicians from Turkey through to India.

Persian

Night Silence Desert - Mohammed Reza Shajrian & Kayhan Kalhor

Persian/Turkish.        

The Wind — Kayhal Kalhor (Persian) & Erdal Erzincan (Turkish)

post-111035-0-88176600-1388616709_thumb.

Persian /Indian.

Ghazal — Kayhal Kalhor (Persian) & Shujaat Husain Khan (India)

post-111035-0-88144200-1388616751_thumb.

As Night Falls on the Silk Road — Ghazal (band includes Kayhan Kalhor (Persian) & Shujaat Husain Khan (India)

Arabic/Indian

The Arab Path to India — Adel Salameh (oud)  & K Sridar (sarod)

post-111035-0-50223900-1388616770_thumb.

Saltanah — Simon Shaheen (oud) & VM Bhatt (mohan vina) 

post-111035-0-07478300-1388616740_thumb.

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 7

Estrella Morente - My Songs and a Poem.  Traditional Flamenco.  The guitarists in this are some of the most sensitive and co-operative accompanists you'll ever hear, imo.

3011277.jpg

I'm a bit obsessed with indian music at the moment.

Ravi Shankar - homage to mahatma Gandhi & baba Allaudin - on deutsche gramophone - absolutely spectacular.

Also just picked up the 3 albums Ravi Shankar and Yehudi Menuhin did together in the early 60s.

• Like 3

I'm a bit obsessed with indian music at the moment.

Ravi Shankar - homage to mahatma Gandhi & baba Allaudin - on deutsche gramophone - absolutely spectacular.

Also just picked up the 3 albums Ravi Shankar and Yehudi Menuhin did together in the early 60s.

Nice. I'm looking at buying a couple of Shankar platters from experimedia, thus:

http://experimedia.net/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=8214

&

http://experimedia.net/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=8162

• Like 1
That's weird - I was trying to remember today the first indian music album I bought when I was about 16. I tried really hard to like it but it was quite hard work at the time. this reminded me - it was shankars 3 ragas. Must get that.

Haven't bought from these guys before - they look good.

Edited by buddyev

That's weird - I was trying to remember today the first indian music album I bought when I was about 16. I tried really hard to like it but it was quite hard work at the time. this reminded me - it was shankars 3 ragas. Must get that.

Haven't bought from these guys before - they look good.

Even nicer :) That seals it, I'm gonna have to buy it.

Experimedia are the shiz, and dangerous for my cash flow....

I'm surprised that there is no mention of the Putumayo label.

Would you consider them as genuine world music or just a marketing exercise ?

Ralph

Sheila Chandra: Nada Brahma

Vinyl

Comprised of five songs, Nada Brahma spotlights a younger Chandra exploring numerous vocal techniques.

The 27-minute title track showcases her lush vocals in an intriguing  series of vocal maneuvers--ethereal streams of sound, appealing Indian melodies, and staccato-syllable dances. This is beguiling, organic ambient music with occasional accompaniment by keyboards, percussion, or other instruments.

Sheila+Chandra+-+Nada+Brahma+-+LP+RECORD

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 1

Vinyl

Comprised of five songs, Nada Brahma spotlights a younger Chandra exploring numerous vocal techniques.

The 27-minute title track showcases her lush vocals in an intriguing series of vocal maneuvers--ethereal streams of sound, appealing Indian melodies, and staccato-syllable dances. This is beguiling, organic ambient music with occasional accompaniment by keyboards, percussion, or other instruments.

I can't see the image.A few years ago when I was selling cds on ebay,I auctioned 2 copies of a Sheila Chandra ep.She was accompanied by the Ganges Orchestra.I never heard the disc.Supposedly more ambient/experimental.It was a limited edition disc and signed by Sheila.

R-105253-1111163369.jpg

This is one fabulous album. And having the great Chucho Valdés on piano just tops it off.

R-2615043-1361635788-7426.jpeg

cant see the pic on this Chris — what is it?

Marketing exercise. They basically repackage already released material under themes, all with consistent branding. Like all good marketing though, it helps novices to a genre find stuff that appeals. I like what they do.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

yep I dont mind compilations if they help introduce to music wouldnt normally come across by other means :) alternatively as mentioned sbs chill is also a good way to do this. without having to buy an album :)

yep I dont mind compilations if they help introduce to music wouldnt normally come across by other means :) alternatively as mentioned sbs chill is also a good way to do this. without having to buy an album :)

Prior to SBS Chill, SBS Weatherwatch turned me onto some great stuff. That's where I first heard Fela Kuti.
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

517UeEKRltL.jpg

watching this dvd transglobal underground and natacha atlas videos and live. quite an old video but a nice collections of their tunes :)

Peter Gabriel's real world label has a lot of good stuff.

The compilation album bliss in particular is a very good taster and I have about 4 nushrat fateh Ali khan albums.

http://www.realworldusa.com/albumpages/bliss/default.html

No discussion about World Music would be complete without at least some mention of Peter Gabriel, and his involvement in starting WOMAD.

I agree that compilation albums are a good way to gain an introduction to the different artists playing various styles of world music. I have quite a few in my collection.

There are some very good compilations on the 'World Music Network' label. Each one focuses on the music of a particular region, or of a particular type, and are usually titled 'The Rough Guide to the Music of........', or similar. A few of their compilations also include a full CD of one of the featured artists along with the compilation as a bonus. Their website is well worth checking out too.

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 3

AARGH!  This computer won't let me quote properly!  Re. Ravi Shankar:

I need to get more of his stuff.  I only have his (excellent) collaboration with Philip Glass: Passages. 

Edited by st3ph3nm

I need to get more of his stuff.  I only have his (excellent) collaboration with Philip Glass: Passages. 

That sounds like something I would like to hear.  :) Thanks for the suggestion  :thumb:

I love Glass but don't know this collaboration - must get it. Really recommend all of Shankar - he really is an amazing musician. Let's have a gtg on indian music sometime soon.
  • Like 1

world music fans, get over to Womadelaide 2014 www.womadelaide.com.au four days of absolute bliss!

same acts to check out:

Le Trio Joubran: superb dose of oudness

Babylon Circus: French ska, touring Oz now!

Another World is Possible: a fabulous compilation

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Another-World-Is-Possible/release/3838828

check the lineup! Most of those mentioned above have appeared at Womadelaide

Vinyl

The 27-minute title track showcases her lush vocals in an intriguing  series of vocal maneuvers--ethereal streams of sound, appealing Indian melodies, and staccato-syllable dances. This is beguiling, organic ambient music with occasional accompaniment by keyboards, percussion, or other instruments.

Sheila+Chandra+-+Nada+Brahma+-+LP+RECORD

Sounds interesting. I have some of her Real World albums, but none of her earlier recordings. Might have to check that one out.

world music fans, get over to Womadelaide 2014 www.womadelaide.com.au four days of absolute bliss!

same acts to check out:

Le Trio Joubran: superb dose of oudness

Babylon Circus: French ska, touring Oz now!

Another World is Possible: a fabulous compilation

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Another-World-Is-Possible/release/3838828

check the lineup! Most of those mentioned above have appeared at Womadelaide

I will be there, guaranteed!

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing for 10 days?  You guys are slack!

Moving a little north from the Indian stuff, I've recently been listening this again...

cd_home.jpg

Yunchen Lhamo.  A beautiful voice from Tibet.  This album was recorded in Australia, with some interesting modern instrumental arrangements.  It's quite relaxing, but manages not to veer into "New Age Meditation".

Nothing for 10 days?  You guys are slack!

Moving a little north from the Indian stuff, I've recently been listening this again...

cd_home.jpg

Yunchen Lhamo.  A beautiful voice from Tibet.  This album was recorded in Australia, with some interesting modern instrumental arrangements.  It's quite relaxing, but manages not to veer into "New Age Meditation".

I remember seeing her perform at an earlier Womadelaide, a long time ago now. She was the closing act on the final evening. Great voice.

late addiction to Womadelaide 2014 Rachid Taha, rai with a healthy dose of rock

remember his Rock El Casbah tribute to the Clash?

a must buy is his 2000 album Made in Medina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachid_Taha

superbly arranged by Steve Hillage, rock luminary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hillage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXXKnfvgn1Y

• Marc pinned and unpinned this topic