World Music: Currently Spinning

I have both their albums, first one cost me a fortune in postage from France. Second one has a good tale to tell. I was in Amsterdam a few years back, walked into this very cool record store, in uber cool Utrechtsestraat

Concerto Audio and Records

http://www.platomania.eu

inquired not expecting them to have it ,sure no problem.  Cost me 16 euro, back when the exchange rate was 85 cents to the euro.

Nearby in the same street, Utrechtsestraat I spied this establishment! Wow!!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.151275764897593.24136.108539225837914

not only does the owner sell a fine selection of wine, restored classic era Dieter Rams Braun stereo, he also has a fine range of bootleg live recordings of major jazz artists who have performed at the Bimhuis http://bimhuis.nl/home some recorded by himself

You'll have to visit to see what he has in stock, no web presence as they're bootlegs, can send you a list

Wow.  I go away for a few months (not really away, just away from here), and then this afternoon, I'm cooking with my wife and decide that some inspirational music would be nice.  So I just wander through this thread for the last 3 or 4 pages, picking vids here and there.  What a sensational afternoon of discovery, everyone.  Thankyou very much for keeping this thread so alive and eclectic!  Highlights were Danu, Songhoy Blues and Ballati Tutti Quanti.  If you can't cook a good meal listening to this stuff, with a glass of wine in your hand, there's something seriously wrong!

• Like 3

@@mrbuzzardstubble @@Ian McP and others. Guys, I'm just starting out to explore World Music and acquire a collection and while I've heard some on FM radio over the years, I really only have one CD....Midnight in Mali (above). Is there a good site where I can audition and then buy my selections? 

I just don't know where to begin....Cheers.

Don't forget your local library!  Most libraries have a good CD section now, and there's usually a half decent collection of world music to be found there.  I can't tell you how many CD's I own because I discovered them at my local library.  Oh, and if you can't get to Womad, the website is great for links to the artists who'll be there.  Really good jumping off point, (and doesn't hurt to go through the old Womad previous years site lists, too.)

• Like 2

Wow. I go away for a few months (not really away, just away from here), and then this afternoon, I'm cooking with my wife and decide that some inspirational music would be nice. So I just wander through this thread for the last 3 or 4 pages, picking vids here and there. What a sensational afternoon of discovery, everyone. Thankyou very much for keeping this thread so alive and eclectic! Highlights were Danu, Songhoy Blues and Ballati Tutti Quanti. If you can't cook a good meal listening to this stuff, with a glass of wine in your hand, there's something seriously wrong!

This discussion will get a boost later this week as SNA members report in on the goings on at Womadelaide.I'm looking forward to the posts. :)

• Like 2

Martin, any way of identifying you at womad? I've penciled in so far

Fri
7pm Bombino
8pm Buena Vista Sessions
9pm Fanfare Ciocarlia
11pm Soil & "Pimp" Sessions

Sat
3pm Robert Forster (?)
4pm Ramsi Aburedwan & Ensemble Dal'Ouna
5pm Abdullah Ibrahim
6pm Balkan Beat Box
9pm Toumani & Sidiki Diabate
10pm Orquesta Buena Vista
11pm Theo Parrish DJ

Sun
2pm Ramzi Aburedwan workshop
3pm Mista Savona with Prince Alla
5pm Fanfare Ciocarlia
6pm Neneh Cherry
9.30pm Youssou N'Dour
10.30pm DJ Spooky

Mon
1pm Emma Donavan and the Putbacks
2pm Canziniere Grecanico Salentino
4pm Nick Waterhouse
6pm Abdullah Ibrahim
7pm Criolo
8pm Neneh Cherry

9pm Jambinai
10pm Invisible Cities DJ's (yep, last drinks, usual last stand for us stalwarts)

• Like 1

Going to avoid this forum for a few days, in order to minimise Womadelaide jealousy disorder...

At least I caught Toumani and Sidiki the other night. Transcendent, transporting stuff. Looking forward to seeing Bombino down the road next week too.

Have a blinder, all of you jammy bastards in Adelaide! Looking forward to hearing some reviews :)

• Like 1

Damn.I should have checked in earlier.I'm quite a bit preoccupied until stumps @ Ian McP,with friends and the ex who's up from Tassie.I'm sure you're all having a great time.Excellent weather,music, food,atmosphere and eye candy ;).Back later with a short roundup.

• Like 1

Hi all :) Personal favourites at Womadelaide this year.

Youssou N'Dour

Fanfare Ciocarlia

Orquesta Buena Vista Social Club

Abdullah Ibrahim Quartet

Soil and 'Pimp' Sessions

Toumani & Sidiki Diabate

Luzmila Carpio. Probably the surprise package for me.She sang in the ancient Quechuan language.I had the pleasure of a short chat while I got my cd signed.

Kudos to Rufus Wainright.Not my cup of tea but the guy is a very good singer.

I missed Margaret Leng Tan playing her toy pianos.Did anyone see her perform?

• Like 6

I saw Margaret Leng Tan, but didn't stay for the whole performance. I'm afraid I just didn't 'get' what it was all about, tinkering about with toy pianos and children's toys.

My personal favourites were as follows.

Gordie McKeeman and his Rhythm Boys. For me, these guys were the highlight of the whole Womadelaide weekend. A great bunch of guys, having a lot of fun on stage. Canadian bluegrass with a touch of rock 'n roll. Gordie's foot stompin' antics and spirited playing was just wonderful. Top marks to them for the way they dealt with the 'equipment failure' in their second performance. The bridge on the double bass broke loose at a key moment, so two of the guys quickly dragged the instrument off stage to make some hurried repairs, while Gordie and the other guy ad libbed with a tune. After a couple of minutes the repair was done, the bass was dragged back on stage, and they picked up where they left off. All part of the show! (And I was lucky enough to take a photo at the key moment, see below.)

Toumani and Sidiki Diabate. Caught both of their performances. I love the sound of the kora, and they did not disappoint. Sidiki's playing strays away from the traditional a bit, but he produced some beautiful sounds. I did think that the introduction of the foot pedal effects was a bit misplaced, but it was only for a very brief part in one tune, and didn't detract from an excellent performance overall.

Buffy Sainte-Marie. I wasn't quite sure what to expect here. I knew, of course, that she was part of the folk scene back in the '60s, but I hadn't heard anything much about her for a long while. Didn't even know if she was still around. Well, she is very much around, and gave an excellent performance. And it wasn't just a 60's retrospective either. Sure, she played an acoustic version of her song 'Universal Soldier', but she mixed it up with some more recent high energy electric stuff. She had a good band with her, and at 74 this lady can still rock. I was quite impressed!

The Gloaming. I'm a big fan of Irish music, and was very keen to see these guys. They gave a fine performance, despite some feedback problems with the sound system (couldn't the sound guys fix this? seemed to happen quite a lot on stage 3). I do think though that their sort of music would have been better suited to an evening performance than 4pm.

Charlie Musselwhite. Blues harmonica playing at its finest. A great performance from Charlie and his band.

The Malawi Mouse Boys. A very spirited performance from a bunch of young guys. What they may have lacked in finesse, they more than made up for with their energy and enthusiasm.

CW Stoneking. Performed with Vika and Linda Bull. Quite an enjoyable performance.

Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino. A very spirited performance from this outfit from southern Italy.

Gruff Rhys. A rather curious solo performance, with Gruff telling the story of John Evan's 17th century quest to find the lost Welsh tribe of North America! Delivered in a deadpan way and interspersed with songs. Quite amusing.

An honourable mention must go to Live, Live Cinema. Their late night Friday performance involved the screening of the 1962 movie 'Carnival Of Souls', but with all the dialogue, music and sound effects performed live on stage. There was a group of musicians situated to the left of the stage, a sound effects man in a booth to the right, and the dialogue speakers took their turns stepping up to a series of microphones to speak their parts. It was very well done indeed, the timing was impeccable. Despite the lateness of the hour, I just had to sit through to the end.

I must admit that these days, I tend to find rather less appeal in the big 'stadium' drawcard acts. The production often seems to be heavily overdone. Such was the case, I felt, with Youssou N'Dour. I have seen both his previous Womadelaide performances, at the beginning in 1992, and later in 2004. I did enjoy this latest performance, but it seemed to me that the band was a bit too big, and the production was rather heavy handed, so much so that it tended to swamp his vocals (a real pity). The duet of '7 Seconds' with Neneh Cherry was not unexpected of course, but was marred at the start by sound problems (you couldn't hear her voice, either her microphone was switched off or they had the mixing desk settings wrong). It was an ok performance in the end, but not the big moment everyone was expecting. (My opinions only, I expect others will disagree.)

I am not much of a fan of Sinead O'Connor, but had to check out her performance of course. I did enjoy it rather more than I expected, but once again the production seemed a bit overblown. I'm not quite sure what relevance her mention of cucumbers and sex toys had though.(I guess that's just Sinead.)

And, here, as promised, is the equipment failure moment during the Rhythm boys performance

post-106677-0-54450400-1425975983_thumb.

checking the repairs

post-106677-0-82235000-1425976431_thumb.

and on with the show

post-106677-0-24693400-1425976462_thumb.

• Like 5

ah, another Womadelaide sadly over, perfect weather this time around!

In general I avoid most of the big names and go for something a little left of centre

caught a song or two by Rufus yes he can sing but not my cup of tea

some highlights:

Fanfare Ciocarlia were blisteringly fast, I was up front and massed brass straight off the horns sounded simply incredible!

Soil & Pimp delivered in droves, there was no let up from start to finish

Buena Vista, sublime

Neneh Cherry: she's still got it!

Toumani and Sidiki Diabate: perfect

Balkan Beat Box: talk about high energy electro gypsy

Che Sudaka: politico cumbia meets ska

Nick Waterhouse: tasty vintage r'n'b/60's rock

Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino: Italian taranta, bring on the dancing girl

Youssour N'dour: yeah he's very good but at the intro one band member giving him more hype than James Brown however his duet with Neneh 7 Seconds although expected was fantastic

Jambinai: hmmm, interesting.... Korean folk meets head bangin' noise, yes, really.

and then there was Flavia Coelho, knew next to nothing about her, I was expecting some light Brazilian pop but phwoah! She was hot and so were her band, just a guy on keys and a drummer, jeezus, they were tight, then they drifted into some dub, wow!

local acts that delivered: CW Stoneking (Vicka and Linda Bull supplying superb backing vocals), Hi Tops Brass Band, Four Play, Marrugeku's Cut the Sky and Myele Manzanza (well nearly local, NZ)

Invisible Cities DJ's finished off closing night spinning some fine disco and Caribbean rarities

unexpected highlight: Balkan Beat Box doing the taste the world segment, I reckon the lead singer was channeling Jerry Lewis, subverting the whole cooking demo, they were loads of fun

• Like 3

Some great photos there. Must be an official photographer, judging by some of the 'on stage' shots. (Bit of a pity he missed Gordie McKeeman and his Rhythm Boys though.)

My photos are not in the same league, of course (being taken with a Lumix pocket camera mostly at high zoom, and set to only 5mp).

I'm quite pleased with this pic of the Malawi Mouse Boys though.

post-106677-0-06037800-1426115261_thumb.

But something very strange happened here (a window into a parallel universe perhaps?).

post-106677-0-31271300-1426115476_thumb.

• Like 5

I picked up this CD from the $10 rack in the Mr V tent while at Womadelaide last weekend.

post-106677-0-14071100-1426289454_thumb.

Frigg are a Norwegian/Finnish band. They were at Womadelaide in 2012, and I quite enjoyed their performances. I already have a couple of their studio albums, but I reckon they come across better on this live album (from 2007). The playing is top notch, and it is quite well recorded. Sound quality is very good.

The music is distinctly Nordic in style, but there are hints of Irish and bluegrass in their material. They are joined by a choir on a couple of tracks.

• Like 1

I saw that album in the rack,emesbee.I've got a couple of tracks of theirs on my Songlines compilations.They're an excellent band.

Nice photos there by the way,fellas.

Sinead O'Connor loved Womadelaide.She left a message on the Womad facebook page saying it was her best ever festival experience and she wants to come back. :)

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble
  • Like 1

Ani Choying Drolma. I didn't sleep well last night so I put RN on the headphones and heard some perfect music for a rough night. Anyone familiar with her music and can recommend particular albums?  Inner Peace seems like a good start or her first one Cho.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rhythmdivine/the-singing-buddhist-nun/6276350

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN267v2lZZg

• Like 1

.... I didn't sleep well last night so I put RN on the headphones and heard some perfect music for a rough night. ..

Our ABC on-line has a couple of pages world music for streaming or download.

The Rhythm Sessions

"Take a musical journey through the realm of spirituality, exploring the world’s devotional music"

. The Rhythm Divine is a soundtrack to the spirit.

Edited by Nada
  • Like 1

Great photos thanks. How does he control that thing? Id be peeking up his coat to see if his legs are free to spin.

Looking closely at the photos, it looks like the bowl shaped base only goes a short way up. In the second photo you can see that there is some kind of frame under his coat about half way up.

He had a lot of control over his movements. He lay on the ground face down for quite a while, but he was able to swing fully upright at will. At one point he was spinning very close to people, but was easily able to avoid any collisions. Another thing I noticed is that his back was always straight, no matter what position he was in.

My guess is that he is strapped into some sort of frame, and is able to move some weights with his feet in order to control his centre of gravity. There is probably some sort of mechanism mounted in the base to enable him to do that. (All supposition, of course.)

As I know I've mentioned before, I'm fairly partial to the singing voice of Muireann Nic Amhloibh. I've just been spinning some of her recordings.

I really like this.

Its from her 2012 solo album 'Ar Uair Bhig an Lae (The Small Hours).

(and I'm pretty sure that's not her in the photo!)

• Like 2