• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So due to popular demand (or at least two "likes" to the idea), I'm starting a thread dedicated to the weird, wonderful world of erm, "World Music".  Here we can enjoy the folk/rock/fusion/gumbo that

Here are some terrific collaborations/improvisations from musicians from Turkey through to India.   Persian Night Silence Desert - Mohammed Reza Shajrian & Kayhan Kalhor   Persian/Turkish.  

The hour of separation is my fave. He can be a bit relentlessly virtuosic on his own and benefits from being reined in as part of a larger group of big talents. Joseph Tawadros (Oud) John Abercro

Posted Images

Rhiannon Giddens - Freedom Highway

rhiannon-giddens_cvr_sq-aca644d3e31e21d3

I was browsing in the Mr V store at Semaphore yesterday, and bought this CD. I saw Rhiannon Giddens with Francesco Turrisi at Womadelaide back in March, and was very impressed with her performance, she would probably be my choice for the highlight act of Womadelaide 2020. She has a very good voice, engages well with the audience, and shows quite an impressive ability to switch seamlessly between different musical styles. She also plays banjo and fiddle/viola to good effect.

At the time I purchased her 2019 release with Francesco Turrisi  'There Is No Other', which is a good album, but I think this earlier 2017 release surpasses it in some ways. As the title suggests, the theme of this album is Freedom. The songs cover a number of styles, and are all about the search or yearning for freedom, or the loss of it. She is ably supported by a number of musicians on all the songs. I think this is quite an impressive album.

This is the opening track of the album, inspired by an old slavery sale notice (the notice is not dated in the album credits, but I'm assuming early 19th century). It sets the tone for the album.

Update: The slavery sale notice is from the late 18th century. She mentions it in the clip I posted on 18th September.

'We Could Fly', a song about yearning for a better life.

Edited by emesbee
explanatory note

Angelique Kidjo - we' we'.  Atrocious PQ and SQ on this live "bootleg"?   But...don't let that put you off, the songs (and SQ) on her Logozo album are well worth checking out 😎

On 13/09/2020 at 7:54 PM, emesbee said:

Rhiannon Giddens - Freedom Highway

rhiannon-giddens_cvr_sq-aca644d3e31e21d3

I was browsing in the Mr V store at Semaphore yesterday, and bought this CD. I saw Rhiannon Giddens with Francesco Turrisi at Womadelaide back in March, and was very impressed with her performance, she would probably be my choice for the highlight act of Womadelaide 2020. She has a very good voice, engages well with the audience, and shows quite an impressive ability to switch seamlessly between different musical styles. She also plays banjo and fiddle/viola to good effect.

At the time I purchased her 2019 release with Francesco Turrisi  'There Is No Other', which is a good album, but I think this earlier 2017 release surpasses it in some ways. As the title suggests, the theme of this album is Freedom. The songs cover a number of styles, and are all about the search or yearning for freedom, or the loss of it. She is ably supported by a number of musicians on all the songs. I think this is quite an impressive album.

This is the opening track of the album, inspired by an old slavery sale notice (the notice is not dated in the album credits, but I'm assuming early 19th century). It sets the tone for the album.

'We Could Fly', a song about yearning for a better life.

Speaking of slavery, I was in a position to see places of slave auctions in the eastern USA. It was quite disturbing, but somehow felt necessary to experience a place with such a dark past, if for no other reason to offer respect to those who had such an awful life.

20190928_163550.jpg

20190928_165732.jpg

20190928_165751.jpg

Currently working my way through a five LP box set of Cuban jam sessions. This is the closest I've heard on a commercial release as to what it sounded like hearing live music being played in bars and restaurants in Cuba during my stay. Great pressing and SQ also.

16003434717556505180374980593346.jpg

Been doing a bit more searching for Rhiannon Giddens, and came across this. Haven't watched the whole of it yet, but the first song gave me goosebumps (and that doesn't often happen!). Simply superb. The more I see of this woman, the more impressed I am.

Have placed an order for some more albums, her solo album "Tomorrow Is My Turn", and with the Carolina Chocolate Drops "Genuine ***** Jig" and "Leaving Eden".

Note: A word in one of the titles got filtered out, probably deemed a racist term. In the context of the album though, I don't believe it is. Do a search for Carolina Chocolate Drops and you will see.

Edited by emesbee
explanatory note

Another Rhiannon Giddens album "Tomorrow Is My Turn" from 2015, this one arrived a couple of days ago.

RG_tomorrow.JPG.9e0e520ccbeee1f0f0f2fcf160dbab1a.JPG

This is quite a different style of album to the other two of hers I currently have ("There Is No Other" and "Freedom Highway"). This album appears to be her tribute to some of her favourite female singers. She doesn't play any instruments herself here, but she is ably supported by a fine group of musicians on a wide range of instruments.

This is perhaps a more conventional album than the other two, but it still shows a great deal of variety. I think it is a very fine album indeed, and easily stands its ground along with her other recordings. If anything, it serves to highlight the versatility of her voice, and her quite remarkable ability to easily switch between different musical styles, as shown by the two clips below.

Up Above My Head - An up tempo number written by Sister Rosetta Tharpe, blending gospel music with rock and roll.

And the title track, Tomorrow Is My Turn, written by Charles Aznavour. According to the liner notes Rhiannon watched a 1968 video of Nina Simone performing this song live in London and was enthralled by her performance, so it became the starting point for this album.

I have to say that I am quite impressed with Rhiannon Giddens performance of this.

On 13/09/2020 at 7:54 PM, emesbee said:

saw Rhiannon Giddens with Francesco Turrisi at Womadelaide back in March, and was very impressed with her performance, she would probably be my choice for the highlight act of Womadelaide 2020.

I would second that. She was amazing at Womad. I queued up for a signed CD I was that impressed :) 

geez, big outdoor music festivals seem like a different world. Womad was like the week before lockdown 1.0.  Feels like a lifetime ago

1 minute ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I would second that. She was amazing at Womad. I queued up for a signed CD I was that impressed :) 

geez, big outdoor music festivals seem like a different world. Womad was like the week before lockdown 1.0.  Feels like a lifetime ago

I bought a copy of "There Is No Other" at Womadelaide (not signed though). I think we were fortunate with the timing of Womadelaide 2020, it just snuck in before the lockdown.

Don't really know what they are going to do in 2021. I am on their mailing list, but information has been fairly sketchy so far. I had a brief chat with Vic at Mr V when I was at Semaphore recently. From what he was saying, it appears that if Womadelaide goes ahead next year it will probably focus mostly on local (meaning Australian) acts, but he is getting very little info too. A world music festival without the world? Well, all we can do is wait and see.