World Music: Currently Spinning

A 2020 release from Leveret called Variations Live. Leveret are a UK trio comprising Andy Cutting on diatonic button accordion and melodeon, Sam Sweeney on fiddle and violin, and Rob Harbron on English concertina. While that combination may not excite everybody, I really like the way these guys interact and blend together seamlessly. When I'm in the right mood, I find their music tends to draw me in to 'the zone', so to speak.

This is a double live CD mainly recorded at two different venues in February 2020, with the final track recorded at a different venue in June 2020. Most of the tracks have previously been released on their earlier albums (which were all recorded live in the studio, I believe), with a few tracks previously unrecorded.

This release is limited to 1000 copies. I ordered mine through their website on 26th December 2020, and it arrived from the UK today, 13th January 2021. Not too bad, all things considered. My copy is numbered 811 / 1000, so there may still be a few left!

I think this is a very good release, easily up to the standard of their previous 4 albums (which I also have).

a0880793256_10.jpg

Full album sleeve notes for this and all their other albums can be found on their website here, in pdf format.

https://leveretband.com/music-shop

The following clips are of two previously unrecorded tracks (ie: not on any of their previous albums).

This is the last track on CD2, 'Snow on the Tracks'.

And 'Elegy for Jacques / Jacques Covemaeker'. I'm not sure if this is from the same concert as the album though. The story of Jacques Covemaeker is briefly described in the liner notes for this album.

• Like 1

I came across this clip just now by Louis Mhlanga on the playingforchange website while I was searching for some more of his albums (which I didn't find there). I played 'Musik Ye Afrika' last night, which is a terrific album (might post about it later). For those who may not know, Louis Mhlanga is a guitarist born in Zimbabwe but living in South Africa. He is self taught, and is very well regarded. I really like his lively style of rhythmic electric guitar playing, but have not heard him play acoustic guitar before. This shows a much softer side to his playing, which I like as well.

https://playingforchange.com/videos/zvinoshamisa-live-outside/

I also read that his guitars were stolen in 2019  when his house in Johannesburg was burgled and his children were traumatised after being held hostage by the robbers. Apparently he was devastated when he arrived home to find that. That really sucks.

https://www.sowetanlive.co.za/sundayworld/news/2019-05-14-louis-mhlanga-loses-prized-guitars/

I was in the Adelaide CBD yesterday, down the east end of Rundle St, so took the opportunity to pop in to Streetlight Music for a browse.  Tucked away down Vaughan Place,  they sell books, CDs, DVDs and vinyl. A good place for a browse, although I don't get to do that very often. Ended up buying a couple of titles, including this one.

Eric Bibb - Global Griot (2018)

Played this last night, and have to say I am very impressed. There are 24 tracks, spread across 2 CDs, labelled as ACT ONE and ACT TWO on the cover. Its a collaboration with a fairly diverse group of musicians, recorded in 12 different studios in France, Sweden,  UK, USA, Canada, Jamaica and Ghana. I know Eric Bibb is usually thought of as a blues musician, but this release is much more than just blues, and easily belongs in the 'World Music' category.

The music is quite varied, with blues, jazz, gospel, country, reggae and African influences all showing through on different tracks. A really great thing about this album is that each track seamlessly leads into the next one, even as the musical styles change. In fact, I think the changes in style are part of its strength.

I started off playing this a bit late in the evening, but it really drew me in, and I just had to listen to both discs from start to finish. Was well after midnight when I finished. I was not disappointed.

At the beginning, I started to think that Eric Bibb's vocals maybe seemed a bit low key and subdued, but I completely changed my opinion about that as I played through it. I think it is his vocal delivery along with his tasteful guitar playing that helps to give this album its continuity. He doesn't completely dominate the recordings, and allows the other musicians space to contribute their parts, which they do beautifully.

91IcQ0cTFWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It is rather hard to pick a couple of representative tracks, due to the diversity of styles, but I will try. It is fair to say there is not a dud track on this album.

We Don't Care

Needed Time. The last track on CD2. Some nice kora playing from Solo Cissokho (from Senegal, I believe).

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 1

Some time after I posted that clip of 'Needed Time'  by Eric Bibb, I couldn't help feeling the song was familiar, and knew I must have heard it before but just couldn't quite place it. The credits say it is traditional, arranged by E. Bibb and S. Cissokho, so that is entirely possible.

Well, it just came to me, this is it.

Kieran Kane, Kevin Welch, Fats Kaplin - I Can't Wait, from the album Lost John Dean (2006).

Different lyrics, but same tune. Credited to Kieran Kane, Sean Locke and Claudia Scott on this album.

Another excellent album by the way, well worth getting if you can find a copy at a sensible price!

• Like 1

Reviewed in latest Songlines

Rustem Quilyev: Azerbaijani Gitare

https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/rustem-quliyev-azerbaijani-gitara-interview

< blazing, psychedelic guitar music sprang from one of the most tumultuous and transformative periods in Azerbaijan’s history, capturing both the spirit and the contradictions of its time. In the years since, Quliyev has become the emblem of Azerbaijan’s gitara music—a unique subculture that developed around the electric guitar. And while his life was cut short by lung cancer in 2005, his legacy endures. “He was really special,” says Vasif Javadli, Quliyev’s nephew. “Many people try and follow Rüstəm’s way, but no one can replace him. And no one can play like him.” >

https://rustemquliyev.bandcamp.com/album/azerbaijani-gitara

• Like 1

Some atmospheric moments here , lots of diverse sounds , heaps of percussion and some very manicured recordings . Not too challenging but sounds great and provides a good ambience with some deft musicianship , sound effects  , & trippy passages here and there ..

https://janschulte-musicfordreams.bandcamp.com/album/tropical-drums-of-deutschland

a1408661986_10.jpg

• Like 1

A 2018 release from Anda Union, Heemor- Windhorse Reprise.

The track listing on this album is almost the same as for their debut 2011 release The Wind Horse, there are only 2 new tracks added. At first I wasn't sure if this was just a repackaging of their first album, or new recordings of those songs. I held off ordering it for a while, but in the end figured I might as well take a chance.

It arrived yesterday and I played it last night. The notes on the inside cover confirm that these are new recordings of those songs but with different arrangements, some new instruments and two new band members. It was recorded in Beijing with producer / sound engineer Richard King, and mastered in Montreal (as was their previous 2016 album Homeland).

It is a good album, well played, recorded and mixed, although I think I prefer the original versions of some of these songs (especially Galloping Horses). Their debut album just seems to have a bit more energy and enthusiasm to it, it appears they are playing some of these songs at a slower pace on this recording than on the original. I am probably a bit biased though, as I have had that album for a number of years, and have also seen them perform live at Womadelaide. Nothing wrong with this album though, well worth getting if you are curious about Mongolian music in any way. (Still readily available, prices of their previous two albums have gone a bit stupid though, unfortunately. Seems to be a common story these days on amazon.)

R-14994048-1585241346-5042.jpeg.jpg

A couple of tracks.

This is one of the new tracks.

• Like 2

Anda Union - Homeland

After recently playing Anda Union's Heemor CD, decided to give their previous release, Homeland, another spin last night.

A very enjoyable album, a completely different selection of songs/tunes to their first (and third) albums. Probably my favourite of the three they have done so far.

R-10101109-1529141247-2318.jpeg.jpg

A couple of songs from the album, with official videos.

Mother Song. The video was filmed in Inner Mongolia. The notes say this is composed from two 'long songs', and is about the tradition of young Mongolians moving away from their families when they marry, so I suppose you could call this a lament. (I think the term 'long song' really means that the syllables are extended in length, although the songs themselves can be quite long. This song is almost 8 minutes long.)

The Herdsman. Looks like they made this video while they were in the USA. Good to see them having fun!

Just thought I'd add one more video, Buriat Song. which features vocals by Tsetsegmaa. I really like this.

Edited by emesbee
added video for Buriat
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, emesbee said:

Anda Union - Homeland

After recently playing Anda Union's Heemor CD, decided to give their previous release, Homeland, another spin last night.

A very enjoyable album, a completely different selection of songs/tunes to their first (and third) albums. Probably my favourite of the three they have done so far.

R-10101109-1529141247-2318.jpeg.jpg

A couple of songs from the album, with official videos.

Mother Song. The video was filmed in Inner Mongolia. The notes say this is composed from two 'long songs', and is about the tradition of young Mongolians moving away from their families when they marry, so I suppose you could call this a lament. (I think the term 'long song' really means that the syllables are extended in length, although the songs themselves can be quite long. This song is almost 8 minutes long.)

The Herdsman. Looks like they made this video while they were in the USA. Good to see them having fun!

Just thought I'd add one more video, Buriat Song. which features vocals by Tsetsegmaa. I really like this.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Thanks for posting that clip by Batzorig Vaanchig, quite impressive, wasn't aware of him before. Just searching around and found these clips of him with his children. Seems like a great guy.

First with his daughter.

And with his son.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...