World Music: Currently Spinning

Zap Mama - 7

World music? Dunno, damn enjoyable tho'.  And somewhat oddly...not in keeping with the rest of the album...finishes with a decent cover of "Damn Your Eyes" ?

IMG_4502.jpg

• Like 3

On 06/07/2020 at 7:35 AM, herehear! said:

thankyou @mrbuzzardstubble, can anyone remember the 'earthcore' series from Triple J? I think they were amongst my earliest introduction to world music. R-4946846-1417082462-4259.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Triple-J-Earthcore/release/4946846

many excellent world, global, call it what you will, musics featured on Melbourne's PBS and RRR FM stations, it's just good music, many and varied. In fact listening to one of my faves now The Good, The Dub and The Global, RRR Tues 2 - 4pm, archived as well,

https://www.rrr.org.au/explore/programs/the-good-the-dub-the-global

regards Ian

D = for [Dunkelbunt].

a2821877445_2.jpg

Love their eclectic style. Can't remember when I first contacted them, based in Austria I think, and, just for a lark, emailed them to invite them to Australia. Didn't think any more off it. And then, then, then one evening I get a txt from family member saying [Dunkelbunt] is about to perform in 'The Loft' in Warrnambool at 9pm. And the time is 8.50pm. Aaarrggh.

I was alternately astounded, then spewing. Spewing that I was about to miss out on a live performance from this amazing outfit, astounded that they bothered to get to Australia and were about to perform sortof 'down the road'. I suppose they must have 'bundled' the trip with Womadelaide, or even the Pt. Fairy folkie.

Have a listen to their stuff. Good fun and stylishly encompassing.

Edited by herehear!
fixed hyperlink
  • Like 2

On 05/07/2020 at 11:13 PM, herehear! said:

First entry [please be kind], not having read every page in this thread, but surely someone has mentioned Angelique Kidjo, absolutely love that 'Oremi' album.

61sx0hj6gdL._SX355_.jpg

Ever seen her live? Dynamo on stage!

19 hours ago, herehear! said:

Sadly, no. When she's next in M'bourne I def. want to. Where did you see her?

Saw her at Womadelaide 2019 where she performed her version of Talking Heads' Remain In Light.

https://www.womadelaide.com.au/artists/2019/angelique-kidjo

< Performing Talking Heads' "Remain In Light"

One of the great divas of our age, Angélique Kidjo takes on one of the iconic albums of the ‘80s and returns it to Africa. Talking Heads’ ground-breaking Remain In Light album was heavily influenced by the music of West Africa, and Kidjo reimagines the original with her own euphoric vocals, electrifying rhythms and explosive percussion. “We all know that rock music came from the blues and thus from Africa. Now is the time to bring rock back to Africa, connect our minds, and bring all our sounds to a new level of sharing and understanding,” says Kidjo.

“Transformative … raises the ante on every parameter of the original” - The New York Times >

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ian McP said:

Saw her at Womadelaide 2019 where she performed her version of Talking Heads' Remain In Light.

https://www.womadelaide.com.au/artists/2019/angelique-kidjo

< Performing Talking Heads' "Remain In Light"

One of the great divas of our age, Angélique Kidjo takes on one of the iconic albums of the ‘80s and returns it to Africa. Talking Heads’ ground-breaking Remain In Light album was heavily influenced by the music of West Africa, and Kidjo reimagines the original with her own euphoric vocals, electrifying rhythms and explosive percussion. “We all know that rock music came from the blues and thus from Africa. Now is the time to bring rock back to Africa, connect our minds, and bring all our sounds to a new level of sharing and understanding,” says Kidjo.

“Transformative … raises the ante on every parameter of the original” - The New York Times >

And she, and her amazing band, would be one of the select view to inject new life and a new perspective into any song.  Just remembered 'voodoo chile' which demos. the point.

What I really enjoy is anytime they turn up the funk. It's like there's some magic mix of french and african funk that just hits the spot.