World Music: Currently Spinning

0012991163_100.png

The Source

by Ali Farka Touré

Record/Vinyl + Digital Album

Includes unlimited streaming of The Source via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more   ships out within 2 days  £19.99 GBP 

Goye Kur 06:20

Roucky 05:36

Dofana 07:31

Karaw 06:28

Hawa Dolo 05:46

I Go Ka 04:03

Yenna 05:17

Mahini Me 05:30

about

Ali's vision opens even further to include a full backing band and further forays into the electric guitar. Taj Mahal, Rory Mcleod and Nitin Sawhney (who contributes tabla on "Inchana Massina") weave into Ali's dense musical tapestry while his philosophical and spiritual perceptions are enhanced by his protégé Afel Bocoum's gentle narration.

credits

released June 25, 1993
  • Like 2

Talking Timbuktu

by Ali Farka Toure with Ry Cooder

Streaming + Download  £7 GBP  or more

Record/Vinyl + Digital Album

Includes unlimited streaming of Talking Timbuktu via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.
ships out within 2 days

£17.99 GBP or more

Bonde 05:28

Soukora 06:05

Gomni 07:00

Sega 03:10

Amandrai 09:23

Lasidan 06:06

Keito 05:42

Banga 02:32

Ai Du 07:09

Diaraby 07:26

about

“A triumph.” The Sunday Times

When Ali met Ry Cooder in 1992 they really bonded and Ali later presented him with the first instrument he made, a one-string lute called a djerkal. Recorded in just three days in LA in 1993 the resulting collaboration 'Talking Timbuktu' well deserved its Grammy Award. Relaxed and accessible, the music is complimented by Ry's subtle guitar work and sensitive production while retaining the integrity of Ali's performance.

Ali Farke Toure and Ry Cooder have long treasured each other’s recordings. They first met in London in 1992 while both were touring Europe. It was agreed that they should 'try something together'. This ‘something’ became ‘Talking Timbuktu’, a Grammy award-winning classic album.

In September '93 Toure was set to play a string of dates in the States and a week was set aside for recording his new album. Cooder was to play on a couple of tracks. A few hours’ rehearsal at Cooder's Santa Monica home hinted at inspiring possibilities. The Malian guitarist's next three Californian dates all featured Cooder as special guest. The recording followed a week later by which time Cooder had agreed to produce the entire album and play on every track.

credits

released March 28, 1994
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Nice to have some company here :)

Cheers mate.  There might be more company then obvious  with  over 60,000 views, thus my shameless promotion for vinyl and digital purchases via Bandcamp.

I believe Bandcamp support your musicians more generously and ethically then other mainstream businesses.

So you can have a warm generous feeling as you enjoy great music.

Bandcamp do free online streaming so you dont need  pottyfi  or tidole and can can try before you buy

• Like 4

On 12/01/2019 at 5:53 PM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

I still prefer to buy discs,that's why I don't use those download services.

Same here, generally. So far I have only purchased 2 download albums because they were not available on CD. (But will not purchase mp3 on principle.)

Some CD purchases I've made also include the album as a download, usually in a choice of formats (I have downloaded WAV and FLAC.)

And since this is a world music thread, those two downloads are.

SOLAS - All These Years (I believe there was a limited CD release, but I could only find it as a download)

Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh with Pádraig Rynne (as Aeons) - FIS (a somewhat experimental album featuring possibly my favourite Irish female singer). Might say a bit more about this one later.

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 1

Strut present an exclusive new reissue of a great (and now very rare) original album from the early career of Nigerian juju star Shina Peters, ‘Sewele’ from 1986.
”Sewele’ represented a time of transition in my music career,” explains Peters. “I had branched out to start as a solo artist after spells with Ebenezer Obey, Prince Adekunle and Segun Adewale and I was trying to find my own voice and to play juju in a more progressive direction. This was an important time for me. Three years later, I had honed that sound into Afro-Juju, and my ‘Ace: Afro Juju Series 1’ album broke me as an artist.

On ‘Sewele’, Peters explores different themes on four extended juju workouts, showcasing his incredible guitar work and his sense of fun as the odd 1970's riff pops up in the grooves.

This new reissue features all original artwork and a new sleeve note by Sir Shina Peters telling the story of the album and his wider career. The album audio has been restored by See Why Audio and remastered by The Carvery.

It's out now on vinyl, CD and all digital formats.

5c4ee508e9048c95be7156ac.jpg

• Like 2

On 31/01/2019 at 10:20 AM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Strut present an exclusive new reissue of a great (and now very rare) original album from the early career of Nigerian juju star Shina Peters, ‘Sewele’ from 1986.
”Sewele’ represented a time of transition in my music career,” explains Peters. “I had branched out to start as a solo artist after spells with Ebenezer Obey, Prince Adekunle and Segun Adewale and I was trying to find my own voice and to play juju in a more progressive direction. This was an important time for me. Three years later, I had honed that sound into Afro-Juju, and my ‘Ace: Afro Juju Series 1’ album broke me as an artist.

On ‘Sewele’, Peters explores different themes on four extended juju workouts, showcasing his incredible guitar work and his sense of fun as the odd 1970's riff pops up in the grooves.

This new reissue features all original artwork and a new sleeve note by Sir Shina Peters telling the story of the album and his wider career. The album audio has been restored by See Why Audio and remastered by The Carvery.

It's out now on vinyl, CD and all digital formats.

5c4ee508e9048c95be7156ac.jpg

still have my original releases of King Sunny Ade's Juju Music and Synchro System!

https://www.discogs.com/King-Sunny-Adé-And-His-African-Beats-Juju-Music/master/112985

https://www.discogs.com/King-Sunny-Adé-And-His-African-Beats-Synchro-System/master/112987

Edited by Ian McP
  • Like 1

Sort of 'currently spinning', if you include playing of YouTube clips.

I just discovered that Rodrigo y Gabriela are releasing a new album called Mettavolution on 26th April 2019 (US presumably).

Contains 6 new tracks, plus a full length cover of Pink Floyd's 'Echoes', which is also up on YouTube.

I just skipped through and played a few quick samples of it. Sounds quite good to me, but I need to have a proper listen.

http://www.rodgab.com/mettavolution/

• Like 1