World Music: Currently Spinning

One I picked up at the latest 'palooza' for the princely sum of $2.

Wouter-Kellerman-Two-Voices-CD-cover.jpg

Had never heard of this guy before, but thought it looked interesting, and for $2 figured I couldn't miss.

Played it last night, and its actually quite good. Wouter Kellerman is a South African flautist (classically trained, I believe). This is quite a varied collection of songs and tunes recorded with a number of African singers and musicians (don't recognise any of the names). Quite well recorded, SQ is quite good.

There is a bit of synth programming on some tracks, but it doesn't detract too much (I'm not a fan of synths and 'programming'). Here are a couple of clips from the album.

'Fire Drill' has a jazz feel to it. I quite like the bass line in this (and I can even forgive the rap vocals).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVUpujml5n8

'Samami', with Senegalese singer and percussionist Lamine Sonko.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa1V5cNMru8

@@mrbuzzardstubble That sounds interesting. I've only heard Tony's playing with Fela Kuti. His duet with Ginger Baker on Fela Kuti and The Africa 70 Live With Ginger Baker is one of the most listenable drum freak outs I've ever heard. :thumb::)

Hi ferchersan.This is a double disc of Tony's solo releases in the 70's.Good value and I got it autographed by the great man at Womadelaide about 5 years ago.

I've also got one he did with Jimi Tenor on the Strut label:the same label that paired up the Heliocentrics with Mulatu Astatke.I must give it a listen one day.

• Like 1

more Tony Allen, saw his album with the versatile Jimi Tenor at Title Gertrude St yesterday for a measly $10.

Bought this a while back, great album.

A few years back now..... caught Jimi live in Melbourne, he's fantastic!! New Cool Collective have Tony as guest on a double album,

it's called Trippin'  http://www.newcoolcollective.com

• Like 1

Just got this cd - Endless Visions by Djivan Gasparyan & Hossein Alizâdeh

Its a mixture of improvisations on traditional Armenian and Persian songs and poetry.

The main instruments are the Armenian duduk (wooden flute) and shurangiz (iranian six-string lute).

It's some of the most haunting and achingly beautiful music I have heard

.post-111035-0-61965700-1406852946_thumb.

• Like 2

Hi buddeyev.

That sounds interesting.I must see if there's a copy when I next visit Title in Sydney.Very good reviews it got and the sound quality is supposed to be excellent.I love the duduk (I have a couple of Djivan's releases) and I read that Alizedah invented the shurangiz to get the fuller sound he wanted.Cheers :)

It's a really terrific live performance - worth having. I also ordered another of Alizadeh albums, Birds.

Apart from Kayhan Kalhor I hardly ever see Iranian or music from that region around - Title in Melbourne don't seem to carry the same kind of range as the Sydney store.

The dudek is an extraordinary instrument and I love all the variations on stringed instruments, like the shurangiz, all of which seem quite basic yet capable of an amazing range.

• Like 1

It's a really terrific live performance - worth having. I also ordered another of Alizadeh albums, Birds.

Apart from Kayhan Kalhor I hardly ever see Iranian or music from that region around - Title in Melbourne don't seem to carry the same kind of range as the Sydney store.

The dudek is an extraordinary instrument and I love all the variations on stringed instruments, like the shurangiz, all of which seem quite basic yet capable of an amazing range.

The Iranians also make great movies ;)

• Like 2

Yes, I've never managed to get to womadelaide. I used to go to Adelaide Writers Festival pretty regularly for work and womad was always just too late for me.

I first saw Subramaniam maybe 20 years ago in a small hall in Warburton organised by a Steiner group. Before he came in there were heaps of kids running around doing what kids do and I thought that it was going to be a terrible waste of time. but it was very odd, when the drone started up they all relaxed and listened spellbound for the hour.

• Like 1

Just got this cd - Endless Visions by Djivan Gasparyan & Hossein Alizâdeh

Its a mixture of improvisations on traditional Armenian and Persian songs and poetry.

The main instruments are the Armenian duduk (wooden flute) and shurangiz (iranian six-string lute).

It's some of the most haunting and achingly beautiful music I have heard

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I have one CD by Djivan Gaparyan, but haven't come across this one.

Have seen him at Womadelaide, quite a long time ago (I forget which year).

Also L. Subramaniam. (I remember he jokingly referred to himself as Subramaniac!)

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 2

Hi buddeyev.

That sounds interesting.I must see if there's a copy when I next visit Title in Sydney.Very good reviews it got and the sound quality is supposed to be excellent.I love the duduk (I have a couple of Djivan's releases) and I read that Alizedah invented the shurangiz to get the fuller sound he wanted.Cheers :)

Very strange thing with this cd. I ripped it to ALAC as a back up as I always do and that file is fine, but my CD player says 'empty disc' - very annoying.

Anouar Brahem - Le Voyage de Sahar

Tonights kiddy bedtime sounds. The accordion playing on this, especially the soloing, is just exquisite. Martin, I can't thank you enough for introducing us to this mans music.

• Like 2

Anouar Brahem - Le Voyage de Sahar

Tonights kiddy bedtime sounds. The accordion playing on this, especially the soloing, is just exquisite. Martin, I can't thank you enough for introducing us to this mans music.

A pleasure,Dave.I'll get around to sending some more soon.I have to go away for work in a few days,so I'll get busy when I get back. ;)

• Like 1

A pleasure,Dave.I'll get around to sending some more soon.I have to go away for work in a few days,so I'll get busy when I get back. ;)

Capital idea. I'll make some up for you in the meantime. I just need to remember what I sent last time ;)