World Music: Currently Spinning

So due to popular demand (or at least two "likes" to the idea), I'm starting a thread dedicated to the weird, wonderful world of erm, "World Music".  Here we can enjoy the folk/rock/fusion/gumbo that we go and see at Womad and the like.

Currently, I've been getting back into a group I saw a Womad a few years back, from the Ukraine:  DakhaBrakha.  It's been hard to get their stuff here, but fortunately, they're now on bandcamp:

http://dakhabrakha.bandcamp.com/album/yahudky

Lots of tribal rythms, ambient cello and amazing vocal work.  The title track from Yahudky is especially good.

My other favourite at the moment is Niyaz's album, "Nine Heavens".  Azam Ali has a beautiful voice.  I like to think of these guys as the Persian answer to Loreena Mckennit - a solid folk background with sensitive use of modern gear.

niyaz-nine-heavens-300x300.jpg

Edited by st3ph3nm
  • Like 7

Well done st3ph3nm.I'll join in the fun a bit later Dakha Brakha were my favourite act at Womad 3 years ago.A most enjoyable gig at the Zoo stage.That's one of the great things about Womad.Quite often its these little known artists that blow you away.

There's a lot of us here who love world music so I think this discussion will be well patronised

Cheers.

• Like 2

Ah, 'world' music, why didn't I think of starting this thread?

Some discs I've spun recently:-

B000BHPBG0.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Terrific Anglo-Irish band, made an appearance at an earlier Womadelaide quite a few years ago. This was their last album, released in 2005. They disbanded for a while while flute player Sarah Allen had a baby, but I believe they are still doing performances in the UK and Europe. Hope they get back into the recording studio before too long.

511GhVmYRRL.jpg

Released in 2006. I picked up a promotional copy of this album at a CD sale. At the time I wasn't familiar with this South African singer/songwriter, but was blown away when I played this. He has a soft, rather melodic voice, but carries a lot of power. I've since managed to get hold of copies of most of his albums, but this is still my favourite of his. If you are looking for a good introduction to Vusi Mahlesela, then this is the album to get. It has an excellent mix of material covering a good range of styles, and is well produced and recorded. There are a host of musicians on this album (unfortunately my copy doesn't have full liner notes), with contributions from Xavier Rudd, Derek Trucks and Dave Matthews. I guess their names are mentioned on the cover for promotional reasons, but their contributions are nicely done, and blend well into the recording.

07+anda.jpg

Saw these guys at Womadelaide in 2011 (I think). They hail from Inner Mongolia, do throat singing and play traditional instruments. Really enjoyed their performances at Womadelaide, and also like their CD a lot. This might not be to everyone's taste, but I really like them.

okl_okl_24018.jpg

And I just had to mention these guys. Hanggai, from China. They also do throat singing and play some traditional instruments, but they also mix it up with electric guitars so are not a traditional band as such. I was a bit sceptical about them at first, but their performances at Womadelaide were a hoot! They were a lot of fun. I see they are returning to Womadelaide in 2014, so will be looking out for them.

• Like 5

Woohoo! (coincidentally, another great Melbourne gypsy band - Woohoo Revue - but I digress) this thread is looking great already.  My first time at Womad was the year DakhaBrakha and Hanggai played.  Probably my two favourite acts from that year. 

DakhaBrakha was especially surprising.  I loved how it was supposed to be a "sit down" event, but nobody could sit down by the end of their show!

I have an Anda Union track on a Songlines CD, and it's lovely, too. 

Thirddrawerdown, I came across Niyaz after hearing them on an episode of True Blood, then discovered Azam Ali's solo stuff.  So kind of backwards to your discovery!  Portals of Grace is superb, but falls somewhere between "classical" and "world" being mainly medieval songs, I suppose.  Damn these pigeon holes, they keep overflowing!

Edited by st3ph3nm

Yes, Hanggai are not exactly traditional, but they are a lot of fun. I'm not familiar with Yatkha.

Yatkha are a hard/pub rock band with trad elements. They have some free stuff on bandcamp. Kind of an offshoot of Huun Huur Tu, a fully trad band. HHT are highly recommended. Quite powerful haunting music.

Oh great thread ! love it , my favourite genre :)

I have a few discs from Natacha Atlas on order, when they land will post some feedback :)

I have a few discs with indian, arabic, african influence really look forward to expanding my collection in this area. Keenly will read posts in this thread 

• Like 2

Yatkha are a hard/pub rock band with trad elements. They have some free stuff on bandcamp. Kind of an offshoot of Huun Huur Tu, a fully trad band. HHT are highly recommended. Quite powerful haunting music.

Speaking of Huun Huur Tu, I also saw them at Womadelaide a few years ago. They certainly are a traditional band, although they have done a number of collaborations with other artists, including the Kronos Quartet.

They were the closing act on the final night. It was an excellent performance, and the perfect way to close off the weekend. Here a couple of snippets which appear to be from that performance, which somebdy has posted on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muc9_ABV6gM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrICvapiWBY

• Like 1

A couple on silver disks as my world stuff is mostly on cd.

Posted Image

Los de abajo. LDA v the lunatics spinning as I type. Love their version of The Lunatics Have Taken Over the Asylum. And there was a mention of Natasha Atlas in a previous post. She features on a track also.

And played earlier today

Posted Image

Cesaria Evora greatest hits. What a voice.

• Like 1

I must admit I struggle sometimes in what is World Music and what is good cynical World Marketing.

What do you guys classify Ry Cooder and Manuel Galban or his work with Galban's band, Buena Vista Social Club?

BVSC was aimed at audiophiles/phools by being pressed and marketed by Classic Records.

PS, nice album this and BVSC :D

post-105087-0-10241000-1388294021_thumb.

Edited by turntable
  • Like 2

Thanks Viognier for the heads up on Cesaria Evora.

I have sampled some of her music, and agree.. what a great voice she has.

I'm playing this album on Spotify, and have just purchased it on ebay.

Mar Azul

51bysqPovsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 2

I must admit I struggle sometimes in what is World Music and what is good cynical World Marketing.

What do you guys classify Ry Cooder and Manuel Galban or his work with Galban's band, Buena Vista Social Club?

BVSC was aimed at audiophiles/phools by being pressed and marketed by Classic Records.

PS, nice album this and BVSC :D

One could easily get cynical about the marketing of 'World' music. Its far too broad a term to try and cover many different types of music. And, yes, there are some cynical marketing exercises. The sort of thing I can't stand is where somebody goes out and samples some indigenous tribal music from somewhere in the world, then goes into the studio and mixes it with electronic keyboards into some sort of dance oriented collage (Deep Forest, anybody?)

That aside, there is a lot of great music around, loosely lumped under the 'World' Music tag, and some good, genuine, collaborations too. I say, ignore the marketing and the labelling. Just listen to the various styles of music, and see what you like.

• Like 3

got a copy of transglobal underground Run devils and demons compilation in the mail today,

d9jw.jpg

good review of this here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/d9jw

can listen to excerpts here,

http://www.allmusic.com/album/run-devils-and-demons-the-best-of-transglobal-underground-mw0001739502

its a such a fusion of music, have been following them last 20 years or so have seen them live and they are pretty amazing too, not sure how to describe them but hopefully the excerpts will give a taste :)

• Like 1