Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Where the Divas Sing

Looking great

thanks blybo :)

Looking really good Al, it certainly is a job and a half when you're in an established house.  :P:D

I've just painted the wall where I had to patch the holes from the speaker wires for the now lowered rears.

thanks kazz, yes not kidding on being quite a job in an established place ! been pretty fortunate been able to work around a few things. I have to say too in my setup this is probably the largest thing DIY have taken on. getting my projector setup happening, or putting up my side or rear surrounds years ago was a walk in the park by comparison ! 5 in ceiling speakers in an existing setup is not to be underestimated in whats involved. am sure pros who do this day in day out would just fly through this sort of stuff. but nothing beats the sense of satisfaction in doing this kind of stuff yourself., and say that not having finished with this as yet hehe

great to hear have lowered your rears and its finished wiht patching and paint :) how does it all sound now with the relocated rears ?

I picked up mockingjay latest release and it has atmos ! ... will it be the first 3D audio movie I give a spin once this is all a goer ?

Nice to see you busy Betty , so is that 5 speakers all for atmos?

thanks joz, busy indeed !

the 5th speaker - Voice Of God (VOG) directly overhead the main listening position is for Auro3D :) the other 4 speakers around this will be used for Atmos, DTS-X and Auro3D

VOG....love that.

Well dome mate...should sound amazing.

M

hehe thanks, with a name like that for a speaker how could I not include in my setup !  :D

great to hear have lowered your rears and its finished wiht patching and paint :) how does it all sound now with the relocated rears ?

I picked up mockingjay latest release and it has atmos ! ... will it be the first 3D audio movie I give a spin once this is all a goer ?

I'd have to say it's better with the rears lower down.

I picked up Mockingjay Pt 2 this week as well in Atmos but decided to watch Terminator Judgement Day in Atmos tonight, quite a good atmos track.

I've found that the cats notice the overhead speakers a lot, they certainly jump at some of the overhead sounds, where they used to sleep trough movies before.  :P

I'd have to say it's better with the rears lower down.

I picked up Mockingjay Pt 2 this week as well in Atmos but decided to watch Terminator Judgement Day in Atmos tonight, quite a good atmos track.

I've found that the cats notice the overhead speakers a lot, they certainly jump at some of the overhead sounds, where they used to sleep trough movies before.  :P

good to hear kazz, ah terminator judgement day...one to put on the list to check out with atmos :)

good that the rears lower is working well. we watched mr holmes last night and there is a train scene where a train comes right through the screen and goes past you. I feel the pan of sound front to back is most convincing I have ever heard with my rear speakers lower. and this is before have calibrated or set them up with audyssey.

anyways taking a day off from any works today, easter afterall. I thought might do a tad in the morning, but a sleep in with easter frivolities plus family coming later for late lunch means wont get any further wiht any of this till tomorrow....never mind ...will get there eventually :)

its lovely autumn out there,

25453012664_e4445b380f_b.jpg

good to stop and appreciate :)

Nice work Al, looks like you've been having lots of fun !!! :D

The Lifx globes I'm yet to install in my HT room are a standard screw in style so could go in your existing lights or any pendant. In my case, I'll be sourcing some recessed fittings so they are out of the way.

What sort of recessed fittings are you looking at for your Lifx globes?

The have discontinued the GU10 downlight versions so they only come in bayonet or Edison screw now.  :(

As always Al ... lovely work with meticulous attention to detail  :)

A high degree of difficulty for sure given the very limited access with no ceiling cavity.

Those Dyna boxes are super cool how you can scrunch them up to squeeze them through the speaker hole, very clever thinking there.

With the hardest part done now it should be all smooth sailing to the finish line pretty soon :P

What sort of recessed fittings are you looking at for your Lifx globes?

The have discontinued the GU10 downlight versions so they only come in bayonet or Edison screw now. :(

As always Al ... lovely work with meticulous attention to detail :)

A high degree of difficulty for sure given the very limited access with no ceiling cavity.

Those Dyna boxes are super cool how you can scrunch them up to squeeze them through the speaker hole, very clever thinking there.

With the hardest part done now it should be all smooth sailing to the finish line pretty soon :P

Non metallic works better apparently. Just a basic cylinder style to fit a screw n globe, can't get bayonet fittings anymore.

I picked my globes up from Richmond and spoke with the US marketing manager who was out here and he told me they will be doing a new GU10 globe soon

Edited by blybo

Non metallic works better apparently. Just a basic cylinder style to fit a screw n globe, can't get bayonet fittings anymore.

I picked my globes up from Richmond and spoke with the US marketing manager who was out here and he told me they will be doing a new GU10 globe soon

Are you planning on using the cylinder style as a downlight?

Great to hear they are planning on doing a new GU10 version soon ... did they give a time frame?

Are you planning on using the cylinder style as a downlight?

Great to hear they are planning on doing a new GU10 version soon ... did they give a time frame?

Yeah as downlight. Wish I had of known about the gu10s as well. They are still not developed so no idea on time. Will make @@Marc pleased though if any of his fail

Yeah as downlight. Wish I had of known about the gu10s as well. They are still not developed so no idea on time. Will make @@Marc pleased though if any of his fail

They should never have stopped making the GU10's that Marc has ...

Be keen to see how you adapt the normal ones to a down light.

I've just got one in a pedestal lamp at the moment but will be looking to get some more ... love the effects you can have :)

Nice work Al, looks like you've been having lots of fun !!! :D

thanks martykt, been a bit of fun indeed ! :D

~

As always Al ... lovely work with meticulous attention to detail  :)

A high degree of difficulty for sure given the very limited access with no ceiling cavity.

thanks sierra...at one stage i so wished I could crawl into the ceiling space...and then had visions of myself hanging from the ceiling rafters after i had come crashing through the plaster :D

yes amazing design those dynaboxes indeed, so good and yet so simple. essentially a 3 piece design, wiht a flexible back box and then a removable inner back lining and a removable inner side wall lining. the illustration below probably give some idea how they get installed incase someone is wondering.

DynaBox-Install-Illustration-1024x266.jp

Yeah I was wondering how on earth you got the box into the cavity through the hole you cut out ... till I had a close look at the picture of the Dyna box and noticed the installation pics on the side ... :P

There will be no shortage of takers for a "movie night" once you get it all finished  :)

oh god, shudder, not another one of those d@mn LEDs with transformers ! :D i tell you with gymnastics have had with these things where cant even change a light bulb, with none of these damn things compatible with anything else I'd be happy to never see one again ! 

but that aside, thanks for the heads up, these look good though...what are they, are they common garden variety... available at stores around the country. i.e. a standard hole diameter voltages, amps, or some exotic rarity that when it or it power supply goes poop I cant replace with anything compatible from any other maker ?

hehe I do remember...and we all thought he was nuts... and here am I following  hehe 5 holes down .... only 9995 to go to catch up to lucky dog hehe

yes they blend in fine, to not bother us too much, high ceilings too so not something really that noticeable. but yeah will look out. one thing these lights give is decent 360 luminance - all around luminance....thats something LED with flat emitters their relatively narrow cones struggle with in my experience.  but yeah if replacing would likely go something flat discrete. with making any more holes ....hate to think what else is behind :D

Hi Al

Those LED's have been good, out of the few hundred I guess over 5 years none have had any problems, yes I can get drivers as a spare part, at my L&H Electrical Wholesaler. No one has ever complained. That series has been around a while and been sold as a common light, also cheap. You should not need to go into the roof for service one of these if it is installed correctly.

Hi Al

Those LED's have been good, out of the few hundred I guess over 5 years none have had any problems, yes I can get drivers as a spare part, at my L&H Electrical Wholesaler. No one has ever complained. That series has been around a while and been sold as a common light, also cheap. You should not need to go into the roof for service one of these if it is installed correctly.

thats good to hear matt, very encouraging especially the bit that its local L&H available stuff :) whether replacing in the lounge or in some other rooms i'll definitely keep in mind :)

Guest JohnA

great stuff Al, this is what i call dedicartion

need to try get around one day to get reacquainted with your setup and all the changes

great stuff Al, this is what i call dedicartion

need to try get around one day to get reacquainted with your setup and all the changes

thankyou John, you are most welcome anytime :) few changes indeed since you last visited and be great to catch up as well. 

another big day today...wasnt meant to be :D 

thought id just sort out the cables under house poke them up into the lounge through a wall plate and run across to the elektra.

well..... hit a big snag ! 

for some reason while put in the wall plate and got cables upto where needed to come back up the house, just couldnt get the cable snake down from the wall plate to under the house to pull the cables up. the wall cavity in this section of the house is closed off to bottom of the house no idea why. wasted a bit of time up and down under the house trying to figure out what the go was thinking maybe running the snake in a different place to where I was looking or something and then realised no go.

so plan B...fortunately have already another wall plate further across the wall where the cables from my wall mounted surrounds come in to lounge. fortunately I had a larger bull nose wall plate. - swapped that for the existing one there so could get another 5 speaker cables through the wall plate there. my 8 year old daughter at this stage decided to come to my rescue helping me with the cable pulling to get the 5 speakers cables back up through the wall plate. she had a bit of fun doing ... pretty amused with the whole business of these extra speakers and has had a bit of a hand so far in helping and pretty chuffed about it :)

had to pull all my gear off the main rack to swap out the wall plate....so while at it along with the 5 speaker cables also ran the 5 new XLRS across to the 2nd elektra that will feed the 3D audio speakers,  great to finally have these speaker cables and XLRS run...

25486941353_466c764107_b.jpg

hooked upto the elektra at the other end...and terminated all the speaker cables with bananas... while at it also colour coded the XLRs and used some name tags to save in any confusion if ever have to disconnect. also left a tad amount of slack in the speaker cable incase the elektra ever needs to go up a shelf on the amp rack there. realised then as well I would need a 12V trigger for the elektra...fortunately I had a spare 3m one which I ran back from the 2nd elektra to the 12V trigger out from the 1st elektra.

Elektra is all hooked up ! 

26063570336_944b30faf4_b.jpg

or is it ? hehe I forgot the power cable ! anyways enough for the day. Can run the power cable tomorrow.

And apart from that all that leaves is for me to run a audyssey pro measurement and calibration on the whole setup. need the house in total silence and to my self to do that though ... which might be a while with the kids on school holidays .... oh well... will need some time to do that too.. 13 speakers and each one will have to be measured 8-12 times ! so hopefully get a couple of hours to my self to get all this going in the near future... cant wait !   

well I did get a chance to run audyssey pro today !

26041034251_1babc3998b_b.jpg

25504816443_d180477a86_b.jpg

did a 8 position measurement and calibration for all 14 speakers .... 

all went to plan... but gee it took a while ! about hour and quarter to measure and process and then another hour and quarter to crunch the numbers and upload into the marantz plus with setup and packup ended up a 3 hour exercise :)

so glad its done !

only watched some tv with the kids and an mkr episode

its come up a treat ! ...seamless...nothing calling attention to itself...and this isn't even with native 3D audio just the dolby up mixer doing its thing utilising the 3D audio channels for the 2ch pcm digital tv signal for quite an enveloping mix,

cant wait to checkout with some native 3D audio material to see what this can do :D

You are a constant source of wonder coupled with admiration for your enthusiasm @@betty boop  :thumb:

Only a matter of a week or two till @@illusion and I have the pleasure of invading movie night at this rate !  ;)

You are a constant source of wonder coupled with admiration for your enthusiasm @@betty boop  :thumb:

Only a matter of a week or two till @@illusion and I have the pleasure of invading movie night at this rate !  ;)

thankyou evil....definitely :)

first up a bit of music this evening, 

Magnificat in auro3D and the choir of kings college in atmos. very smooth and enveloping. think the ceiling speakers pick up well the ambience of music such as this.

25839530490_a5e284c1da_b.jpg

I did also check out the atmos demo disc I have ....the one with enrique iglesias .... goodness .... I have heard this in a few demo rooms so far and this is the best have heard this very impressed :D

intriguing actually how atmos uses these hight speakers, the leaf demo on this disc really shows off how enveloping the surround steering can be utilising 3D audio.

Might have some Immortal Nystedt and Nordic Sound on 2L with Gregorian Chants to fill your "audiovisual fun Palace" when I come !  ;)

If only I hadn't taken a 2 meter spill off a ladder. Lucky for me the concrete and bricks broke my fall or I would of hurt myself on the lawn. :oops:

If only I hadn't taken a 2 meter spill off a ladder. Lucky for me the concrete and bricks broke my fall or I would of hurt myself on the lawn. :oops:

What - you broke the concrete? [emoji53]

Seriously are you ok ?