Where the Divas Sing

2 minutes ago, maximus said:

Matty, you've got a nice expensive system there. I would suggest something a little better than an FIIO and Eversolo,  Scour through the classifieds and look at some of the incredible deals on streamer/dacs

glad you said this as thinking this in back of my mind :D someone has to tell you sometimes for it to sink in hehe

3 minutes ago, maximus said:

Anything from Lumins, Geiselier, Auralic's and Gustards would be an upgrade  to what you've mentioned.

I just don’t think any of these seem to do native Apple Music though for lossless ? Perhaps the android world is too cutting edge still who knows ?

The R9 also doesn't seem a visual match with your fine rack assortment (I wonder whether the visual "business" of the Eversolo is a reason for the high turnover rate - SQ stuff notwithstanding).

I know nothing of the HiFi Rose SQ and software support but the box design is pretty neat: https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/hifi-rose - IMO definitely get something that has a toggle to switch off display during playback and ongoing software support (Lumin seems very dedicated in this regard).

The Klimax is the best box design I've seen...will lead you just a  smidgeon out of your budget zone though 😅

https://www.linn.co.uk/network-music-players/klimax-dsm

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, Steff said:

The R9 also doesn't seem a visual match with your fine rack assortment (I wonder whether the visual "business" of the Eversolo is a reason for the high turnover rate - SQ stuff notwithstanding).

Yeah neither would fit in that well :D yeah not sure the reasons on high turn over. Goes against my grain where I tend to hang onto stuff years ! 

11 minutes ago, Steff said:

I know nothing of the HiFi Rose SQ and software support but the box design is pretty neat: https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/hifi-rose - IMO definitely get something that has a toggle to switch off display during playback and ongoing software support (Lumin seems very dedicated in this regard).

The Klimax is the best box design I've seen...will lead you just a  smidgeon out of your budget zone though 😅

https://www.linn.co.uk/network-music-players/klimax-dsm

All these look very nice gear and probably more in keeping with what trying to do. The linn I heard some demoes from linn guys themselves but all a bit tidal connected at the time which every time I look at is very lacking in music range … still gave it a go for a while on my dap …

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

but all a bit tidal connected at the time

No Roon to organise playback of local laptop/NAS data functionality yet? That seems the way forward. Tidal's range is just too limited in spite of its vast catalogue. Every time I try it out one track, album or another is not available - hang on to your discs people.

I suspect Hifi gear companies find development for Apple's closed-off "eco system" quite onerous and costly. Are you heavily invested in Apple airplay?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Steff said:

No Roon to organise playback of local laptop/NAS data functionality yet? That seems the way forward

yeah nah gave up on the nas when it went kaput.. and not intending to go back there.....now days just have it all on a hard drive thats plugged directly into bluesound and it plays the lossless stuff on it straight off.. it removes all the vagaries of network streaming 🙂 and its still all backed up on the iCloud. not needed roon so far to organise as am happy with the basics...able ot find by artist, album, genre. plus playback options blue sound have ... seems good enough as with apple...

6 hours ago, Steff said:

Tidal's range is just too limited in spite of its vast catalogue. Every time I try it out one track, album or another is not available - hang on to your discs people.

indeed ... have found it quite frustrating .. if lucky will find an album then look and oh gee theres only one song or two :D often just plain not even there... far too restricted and gosh the cost.... apple music is far better and lossless...in some cases hi-res as well.. 

6 hours ago, Steff said:

I suspect Hifi gear companies find development for Apple's closed-off "eco system" quite onerous and costly. Are you heavily invested in Apple airplay?

yeah i dont think many have got their heads around.. at best majority have only worked out airplay.. but airplay is not lossless and probably lowest form of playback..ok in the car and back ground music whcih is all bluesound can managed ...it doesnt compare well with the stuff fed off the hard drive and lossless. 

i think only so far fiio and eversolo have worked out how to do applecar play natively and lossless ...

other one is Astell and Kern.  my DAB shows lossless with apple music  and sounds sensational with my focal headphones 025A4581.thumb.JPG.fa63b1e4852472c0ec25b34b52177ce7.JPG

it apparently can act as transport.. could use to feed a focal Arche usb dac i have ... to see how goes into my system 🙂 

could be way to feed apple lossless and hires into the system.. worth a shot ..nothing to loose...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steff said:

I suspect Hifi gear companies find development for Apple's closed-off "eco system" quite onerous and costly. 

That's one of the reasons why I don't like Apple products..🤮

21 hours ago, betty boop said:

glad you said this as thinking this in back of my mind :D someone has to tell you sometimes for it to sink in hehe

The Dark side "Streaming" is making it too convenient, drawing most & eventually all into it....slowly but surely., there will be no escape.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 14/01/2024 at 8:42 AM, Bass13 said:

The Dark side "Streaming" is making it too convenient, drawing most & eventually all into it....slowly but surely., there will be no escape.

I guess the question is why would you want to escape it?  There's never been a better time to be a music lover IMO.  We have the most incredible array of music available to us at excellent quality for a very reasonable cost.  Streaming and internet radio has been a total game changer for me in terms of discovering new music and new artists and you can always still buy discs, vinyl, or digital files of music that you love and want to own.  Truly the best of both worlds.

• Like 4

On 14/1/2024 at 9:12 AM, Bass13 said:

On 14/1/2024 at 9:12 AM, Bass13 said:

i havent escaped :D been streaming in various forms ..on go, in car and in home for about 20 years !  but yeah while convenient i am also conscious that to do well still does cost.. some of the streaming rigs can put vinyl to shame... though not sure am quite ready to invest in those sort of league... 

but something  a step up from where at would be worth looking at for me .. so will keep exploring .. if the hifi rose did apple music natively with lossless id be in I think :D not sure the latest but their note below says not fully ? right now but working on it ...  ? think does aac 256k by the looks ? 

https://community.roseaudio.kr/t/information-about-apple-music-service/2892

• Like 1

19 hours ago, POV said:

I guess the question is why would you want to escape it?  There's never been a better time to be a music lover IMO.  We have the most incredible array of music available to us at excellent quality for a very reasonable cost.  Streaming and internet radio has been a total game changer for me in terms of discovering new music and new artists and you can always still buy discs, vinyl, or digital files of music that you love and want to own.  Truly the best of both worlds.

I agree, the reason I used the term "escape" are more for people that don't want to stream, either because they prefer playing their Vinyl or CD players only.

11 hours ago, betty boop said:

i havent escaped :D been streaming in various forms ..on go, in car and in home for about 20 years !  but yeah while convenient i am also conscious that to do well still does cost.. some of the streaming rigs can put vinyl to shame... though not sure am quite ready to invest in those sort of league... 

but something  a step up from where at would be worth looking at for me .. so will keep exploring .. if the hifi rose did apple music natively with lossless id be in I think :D not sure the latest but their note below says not fully ? right now but working on it ...  ? think does aac 256k by the looks ? 

https://community.roseaudio.kr/t/information-about-apple-music-service/2892

For sure some streaming rigs can put some Vinyl & CD players to shame,  you will eventually find something you like, which meets your Apple requirements too.

🎼

• Like 1
  • Love 1

As it stands the only devices able to integrate Apple Music into their OS properly is (ironically) those that are Android driven.  Of these, the Eversolo DMP-A8 is cleary the best available currently.