Where the Divas Sing

@muriwai and I were chatting last night as he remembered hearing my Divas the first time. though gee time goes by and we weren't sure how long ago that was. Just checking below, Gee its amazing but the 10 year anniversary of my Lovely Divas sort of just slipped by back in may it would seem ! 

how unceremonious of me to let an anniversary like that just go by !  wonderfull things that they are, I guess I did make it past that 7 year itch :D 

heres looking forward to the next 10 with these beauties :wub:

belated though it is, best go celebrate with some music and a nice red :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

been celebrating rather auspicious occasion last couple of days....

the 9th anniversary of the very gorgeous rega p9 

yep been 9 years I've have had it ! 

file_zpsca99beec.JPG

11577520015_205f0f866f_b.jpg

and it still looks the same as it does in those pictures above. Not changed one thing !

such an amazing piece. got a couple of rega treats for it over the next year and take it upto its 10th birthday and hopefully many more :D 

• Like 1

the couple of things am considering to take this deck into its 10th year :)

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/rega-upgrade-white-drive-belt/

REGABELTW.jpg

some good reviews out there I've noticed on the net and a good step for a p9 and the belts come standard on p8/10 these days so maybe a look at. not an expensive thing either :)

the other the Rega wall stand...

http://www.rega.co.uk/turntable-wall-bracket-1.html

@evil c is one using a wall mount even though not with a rega found some great gains. and something been contemplating a while. again wont break the bank ! and i have a spot just where could go :)

and even better also comes in white which is what id likely go for...

wallbracket-gallery-white-with-adaptors.

anyways a couple of treats to mull over... no real rush ... been great for last 9 years :D so can take my time with doing these :) 

• Like 1

the couple of things am considering to take this deck into its 10th year [emoji4]

[mention=116153]evil c[/mention] is one using a wall mount even though not with a rega found some great gains. and something been contemplating a while. again wont break the bank ! and i have a spot just where could go [emoji4]

and even better also comes in white which is what id likely go for...

wallbracket-gallery-white-with-adaptors.jpg

anyways a couple of treats to mull over... no real rush ... been great for last 9 years [emoji3] so can take my time with doing these [emoji4] 

You're finally coming to your senses - al !
Well done - it made a massive improvement to my turntables performance and imagine it would offer a considerable lift to yours.
Salivating prospect as already sounds excellent - even with Michael Jackson! [emoji4]

8 minutes ago, evil c said:

Well done - it made a massive improvement to my turntables performance and imagine it would offer a considerable lift to yours.
Salivating prospect as already sounds excellent - even with Michael Jackson! emoji4.png

Yes the dynamics of that LP and the Bowie 1 were really something to behold on Sunday... and it's currently just sitting on an Ikea cabinet IIRC.

When I got home I put on  my new Killer vinyl and didn't get anywhere near the same result...:blush:, but my entire 2ch system is probably worth much less than just @:) al L&R speakers.

10 hours ago, evil c said:

Salivating prospect as already sounds excellent - even with Michael Jackson! emoji4.png

hehe, yes indeed am very intrigued as to what benefits the wall mount will bring. though ultimate isolation from the floors is I guess what achieves. thank you  indeed with michael jackson even :D 

10 hours ago, blybo said:

Yes the dynamics of that LP and the Bowie 1 were really something to behold on Sunday... and it's currently just sitting on an Ikea cabinet IIRC.

When I got home I put on  my new Killer vinyl and didn't get anywhere near the same result...:blush:, but my entire 2ch system is probably worth much less than just @:) al L&R speakers.

thanks yes loved that bowie LP.  and yes on a plain old ikea cabinet is all its laid on all these years, so will be interesting what a proper TT wall stand does for it :)

hehe with my mains clocking past over 10 year mark, probably not quite worth much as they originally did... but still no longer made and ireplaceable and hence price less in my eyes :D

wish picked up one of the marantz TTs knocking around the for sales blybo. @agelessgoodguy has one of the TT15's and a lovely thing no doubt :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

couldnt resist grabbing the just released Xbox One X to the system. And seems i was lucky in grabbing as supposedly sold out on launch day and one i grabbed just happened to come in the store ! 

38421478826_b4f0ed3858_b.jpg

anyways am interested to see how this will go, as some might have noticed i havent had the best luck with consoles over the years having owned the xbox 360, then the ps3 both the fat boy and the slim. and then the ps4 which like the previous also went... seem to have lost it gaming wise...

though while i still grabbed the forza 4k release anyways as was bundled in the deal. however this time around i have bought mostly for the streaming aspects of this console. tend to be more of a media player these days these things. 

so here it is installed in the system,

38441373996_5012575907_b.jpg

so far quite a dense solid heavy thing I noticed. and soon got setup with all the apps etc and had the harmony programmed so will work in seamlessly in the system. look forward to seeing how find in use. we get the nbn supposedly in a weeks time... so lets see how this goes with netflix and amazonprime etc streaming 4k :) 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, :) al said:

seem to have lost it gaming wise...

That's called old age, Al...

Yeah interesting to see how this will go with your HT set-up, you'll certainly get the most out of the console.  I'm still trying to work my way through my PS3 library - time is of the essence!  :lol:

9 hours ago, Kaynin said:

That's called old age, Al...

hehe am sure a factor in some ways, though to be honest ps4 i sold because they just didnt seem to have much in way of kids games my daughter wanted. ironically when I asked the guy in the store what games he had for kids... he said ... not much :D he was talking the brand new 4k enhanced titles though and there is one in "lucky's tale" which didnt have in stock, but noticed forza was G rated and she liked one of the racing games so lets see :)

good in a way that atleast the xbox one X  microsoft has finally made efforts in back compatibility so will be looking back catalog most likely. time indeed of essence and not sure how much time or patience i myself might have for gaming. but i think might be a bit of fun now and then.

9 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Yeah interesting to see how this will go with your HT set-up, you'll certainly get the most out of the console.

I checked out netflix on the xbox one x last night. and although with my current adsl2 feeble bandwidth I know for sure 4k uhd is going to be severely watered down in anycase I noted a lot of 4k options available. I selected the chefs table and in watching looked pretty decent. I noticed I had to engage HDR so atleast know its coming in HDR. some posterisation at times, also blurriness of details also fast forward or rewind makes a mess obviously of bitrate. but overall quite happy and it works as good as off the apple tv which was wondering about and giving the 4k options which the apple tv is still a little mess with as I understand. so thumbs up for streaming capability so far. ps at all times I used the harmony universal remote to navigate, so good its capable in this fashion and no need to use the gaming controller for this kind of thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, :) al said:

though to be honest ps4 i sold because they just didnt seem to have much in way of kids games my daughter wanted. ironically when I asked the guy in the store what games he had for kids... he said ... not much :D 

Seems very short sighted of Microsoft.

You would have thought they would want get kids into the Microsoft ecosystem as early as possible even if they mainly want to focus on the older teenage and adult gaming market ??

• Like 2

On 19/11/2017 at 10:05 AM, Martykt said:

Seems very short sighted of Microsoft.

You would have thought they would want get kids into the Microsoft ecosystem as early as possible even if they mainly want to focus on the older teenage and adult gaming market ??

yes seems very odd, it seems, you'd think they would be all over it like mcdonald's :D  anyways it seems luckys tale

f79f903e8c4a4c00ab1e179176a27c42_Medium.

is the mario substitute on the xbox line so will get that. not a very expensive title... and probably enough to get through the holiday break. 

On 19/11/2017 at 12:40 PM, AMCNAD said:

Used to be heaps of kids games on original Xbox, Disney skate, Shrek, ratatouille, ratchet and clank etc.

my 18 yo daughter asked me to set up the original Xbox just so she could relive childhood 

true, will have to explore more, perhaps have to go digging in the back catalog which thank goodness xbox is enabling capability for with the one X . but suspect the above and forza keep us occupied by now :) 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

• 9 months later...

Little addition to update here,

IMG_7459.JPG

IMG_7463.JPG

had to DIY a shelf to incorporate :) 

IMG_7473.JPG

and slipped in nicely I think :)

fullsizeoutput_1264b.jpeg

pretty swish looking unit :) have only given some limited time on it last night updating the harmony and checking on a few movies :)

091A7887.JPG

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Oh nice!!  :thumbsup:

I look forward to your opinion on this, especially how it goes against the Oppo.  :yes:

Thanks kazz, a very nice unit overall. Some early impressions just setting up and testing, have picked up some differences already mainly functionality usability.

oppo is literally benched for the moment :D I’m planning to relocate it to 2ch side to explore capabilities there but will run a hdmi across to the Marantz av processor ... that ways will still be able to utilise for multichannel HD audio and such.

2 hours ago, buddyev said:

Al, is that a commercial rack made or is it home made? Looks really good, a nice solid and simple design. Im looking for something similar for my study.

The rack appears to be made of 'Qubelock', Russ - the aluminium square-tube that I've used to make a couple of small racks from, on my equipment shelf (that you've seen).  Al's used some nice wood panel for the shelves inside the square-tube (which the gear rests on) - you could have various options for yours ... including 18mm slate shelves.

It would be feasible to go with 3 shelves, if that suited your setup better.  You wouldn't want to go wider then what Al has, though (which appears to be a metre, overall?) - or it will bend in the middle, if you had a couple of heavy items on one shelf.

I could make something up for you - actually, not much "making" ... merely assembling the pre-cut lengths of square-tube.  The trickiest thing is to cut the shelves to the necessary dimensions, cleanly.

Andy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, buddyev said:

Al, is that a commercial rack made or is it home made? Looks really good, a nice solid and simple design. Im looking for something similar for my study.

@betty boop

Completely home made @buddyev the black aluminium is qubelock from local aluminium centre they cut to size for you. The size is to match self dimensions. They also give you bits to push together. Shelf are pine from Bunnings they can cut to size if want, mine were standard size. I stained the pine jarrah. I think around $100 all up. Can change anytime :) and adjust to suit.

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

The rack appears to be made of 'Qubelock', Russ - the aluminium square-tube that I've used to make a couple of small racks from, on my equipment shelf (that you've seen).  Al's used some nice wood panel for the shelves inside the square-tube (which the gear rests on) - you could have various options for yours ... including 18mm slate shelves.

It would be feasible to go with 3 shelves, if that suited your setup better.  You wouldn't want to go wider then what Al has, though (which appears to be a metre, overall?) - or it will bend in the middle, if you had a couple of heavy items on one shelf.

I could make something up for you - actually, not much "making" ... merely assembling the pre-cut lengths of square-tube.  The trickiest thing is to cut the shelves to the necessary dimensions, cleanly.

Andy

You got it Andy. Can get standard size if want. As I did or Bunnings will cut to size :)

• Like 1

Thanks gentlemen @andyr @betty boop. So qubelock is heavy duty enough? I assumed I’d have to get steel tubing but you’ve got a fair amount of weight on yours with that centre speaker.

im plannng 3 levels - a bit like yours Al. Maybe 1200 mm wide.

• TT and pre amp on open top shelf
  •  dac, cdp, streamer on middle level
  • Elektra power amp, tuner, PSUs etc on bottom
Edited by buddyev

19 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Thanks gentlemen @andyr @betty boop. So qubelock is heavy duty enough? I assumed I’d have to get steel tubing but you’ve got a fair amount of weight on yours with that centre speaker.

im plannng 3 levels - a bit like yours Al. Maybe 1200 mm wide.

• TT and pre amp on open top shelf
  •  dac, cdp, streamer on middle level
  • Elektra power amp, tuner, PSUs etc on bottom

I’d keep heavy stuff down bottom buddy as thinking. As per Andy I’d wonder about span. my shelves were 900 wide

But if going 1200 I’d use the channels with a support edge on the long spans. Will give more stiffness to the channels and also more support on the long lengths for the shelves. Am prettt sure @Kazz went the 1200 wide so can comment :)

i posted a couple of photos of the rack before easing in place, see link below to earlier in the thread :)

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/59834-where-the-divas-sing/?do=findComment&comment=1020576

ps one tip when getting aluminium centre to cut up for you get them to shrink wrap the lengths before cutting. Stops them getting all scratched up when they run through the saw.

• Like 1