Where the Divas Sing

11 minutes ago, betty boop said:

hi said, all been well here, oh yes the a5cd was a very lovely player. once of those things I did wonder if i should have sold ? but the luxman is very good that i got to replace it :) good to hear you ended up getting an a5cd and very much enjoying it :) 

nothing much changing here. pretty content all up. maybe change a few things around but not much else :)

Never heard any luxman gear, Would be interesting to have a listen but never really seen that brand in my audio shops in Sydney. But very pleased with the player and only paid $1100 for it. And one of the reasons I didn’t buy the M6 player is because no Tube stage. A5 will go lovely with my M6Pre-Prx. 

Always loved the organisation with your gear. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sacd87 said:

Never heard any luxman gear, Would be interesting to have a listen but never really seen that brand in my audio shops in Sydney. But very pleased with the player and only paid $1100 for it. And one of the reasons I didn’t buy the M6 player is because no Tube stage. A5 will go lovely with my M6Pre-Prx. 

Always loved the organisation with your gear. 

fantastic you picked up at a bargain like that, they are an awesome player indeed ! the only player MF has with tubes now days is the nuvista but thats stratospheric in pricing :D 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, betty boop said:

fantastic you picked up at a bargain like that, they are an awesome player indeed ! the only player MF has with tubes now days is the nuvista but thats stratospheric in pricing :D 

Tell me about it ? I Saw them at Len walls so that’s why I think the A5 is a Hidden gem with those NuVista tubes. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

its interesting years can go by with room and system and still just like that opportunities can just arise to improve ! 

visited @Quark 's place other week and noticed he was using some Screenaway block out blinds. my goodness how effective and simple a design, complete 100% block out and aussie made.

https://www.screenaway.com.au/window-blinds.html

one of their customer videos below probably shows just how effective in blockout. 

as some might know with projectors light controls is king especially for contrast any light leakage in the room can kill ! 

and as some would have visited my place would have seen while I have a room surrounded with windows, i have gone through some effort for full blockout curtains with pelmets and such taking care of all the windows. one area though that still lets a bit of light leak through during the day is an entrance door with a couple of windows either side... while i got some block out roller blinds for these narrow windows as can see in photo below they still let a lot of light through.

below is the door with blinds either side,

0I9A2759.jpeg

and this shows about what it looks like in reality in daylight showing kind of light leakage it allows.

0I9A2760.jpeg

a bit of a rough and ready setup too which have sorta lived with made possible viewing in day time . but sure can be improved by what ScreenAway offers and which should be much more effective and a much neater setup to boot.

so rang them up, had them around promptly to measure and quote. order placed, confirmed today going into production with a 3-4 week delivery. which all sounds very good. customer service wise so far I would say id give them 20 out of 10. how prompt courtesy and with the follow ups and keeping me aware whats going on.

anyways lets see what comes and how comes about. here's hoping goes in before christmas and takes day time viewing with the projector to another level....

• Like 2

On 04/11/2019 at 7:18 PM, betty boop said:

its interesting years can go by with room and system and still just like that opportunities can just arise to improve ! 

visited @Quark 's place other week and noticed he was using some Screenaway block out blinds. my goodness how effective and simple a design, complete 100% block out and aussie made.

https://www.screenaway.com.au/window-blinds.html

one of their customer videos below probably shows just how effective in blockout. 

as some might know with projectors light controls is king especially for contrast any light leakage in the room can kill ! 

and as some would have visited my place would have seen while I have a room surrounded with windows, i have gone through some effort for full blockout curtains with pelmets and such taking care of all the windows. one area though that still lets a bit of light leak through during the day is an entrance door with a couple of windows either side... while i got some block out roller blinds for these narrow windows as can see in photo below they still let a lot of light through.

below is the door with blinds either side,

0I9A2759.jpeg

and this shows about what it looks like in reality in daylight showing kind of light leakage it allows.

0I9A2760.jpeg

a bit of a rough and ready setup too which have sorta lived with made possible viewing in day time . but sure can be improved by what ScreenAway offers and which should be much more effective and a much neater setup to boot.

so rang them up, had them around promptly to measure and quote. order placed, confirmed today going into production with a 3-4 week delivery. which all sounds very good. customer service wise so far I would say id give them 20 out of 10. how prompt courtesy and with the follow ups and keeping me aware whats going on.

anyways lets see what comes and how comes about. here's hoping goes in before christmas and takes day time viewing with the projector to another level....

That will be a beautiful solution. Stop all light leakage. That will change the game. Well done mate. M

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, unclemack said:

That will be a beautiful solution. Stop all light leakage. That will change the game. Well done mate. M

thanks UM, indeed cant wait to get in. another month to go at earliest estimate... anyways should be just in time for summer and more daytime viewing over christmas break. how are you going UM, always get a mention whenever the gang gets together. Hopefully see you again some time in the future :) 

• 1 month later...

well screenaway have been and gone. was on time and done on time and boy am i impressed with the end result !!!!!

below is a photo with 40 deg C blasting sun on other side of the door. zero light leakage past the screen away blinds on either side of the door. compare that to photo above ! and how much neater does the end result now look.

ps I did think to switch off the lights in the room to take a shot ... but it was pitch black :D 

IMG_0421.jpeg

i will remount the privacy drop down screen in front of these so we can indeed leave the block out screen away blinds up when not needed and have some natural light in the room.

I will admit the screen away blinds do take some effort lifting up and down but its not excessive. ie they are not like old holland blinds that woudl fly up and down ! 

but gee if there are any folks considering dedicated rooms and blockout for projectors do 100% consider these blinds for your windows. I have multiple other windows in the room already with full heavy block out curtains and pelmets and such and can tell you the amount of block out is nothing like the screen away which results in zero light leakage ! :) 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Wow how is that even possible? Well done sir...

thanks TB, indeed am a bit blown away, amazing design ! ps local aussie company too made to order in adelaide SA. no imports or anything all made in the country.  good to support a local mob ! 

another shot just taken blinds up ! fortunately no longer blasting sun out side ! :D 

IMG_0422.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, swervyn said:

They look great, wonder if they would work on skylights?

they absolutely do :) ive seen pics on the net where use on skylights, believe you can also get them foil backed which might be necessary in those situations :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

they absolutely do :) ive seen pics on the net where use on skylights, believe you can also get them foil backed which might be necessary in those situations :) 

great, might contact them and see if they do supply only, thanks

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Ahh I see so there contained within two side runners. What a fantastic design. Blends in so well.

indeed the handle seems to run in the sides and the flexible material is kept within. i was a little distracted with a ton of work phone calls unfortunately when the guy was putting together so kicking myself couldn't see how it all actually works. but from what can see its a bit like the flexible roller doors in industry just in a blind version. if somehow you push the material out the sides you just push back in slightly and pull down and it pulls back in line. 

wife is going to be wrapt when sees it, she always hated my roller blind iwht the chopsticks to hold together :D 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Awesome, what a professional looking finish.  Great result, worth taking the punt.  No doubt block-out too, that's going to lift your PJ image.

thanks kaynin. checked out pj earlier. really happy ! just dropped screen away a note of thanks for their excellent product and service and to make sure everyone involved is commended for their efforts. I do hope my note makes it through to folks concerned. so many folks work their butts off out there, hope get some thanks when deserved. 

9 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Ha you too huh? I also use chopsticks for a lot of makeshift stuff. Very versatile units they are ?

hehe I have made sure to squirrel away the chopsticks for another day :D 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, betty boop said:

well screenaway have been and gone. was on time and done on time and boy am i impressed with the end result !!!!!

below is a photo with 40 deg C blasting sun on other side of the door. zero light leakage past the screen away blinds on either side of the door. compare that to photo above ! and how much neater does the end result now look.

ps I did think to switch off the lights in the room to take a shot ... but it was pitch black :D 

IMG_0421.jpeg

i will remount the privacy drop down screen in front of these so we can indeed leave the block out screen away blinds up when not needed and have some natural light in the room.

I will admit the screen away blinds do take some effort lifting up and down but its not excessive. ie they are not like old holland blinds that woudl fly up and down ! 

but gee if there are any folks considering dedicated rooms and blockout for projectors do 100% consider these blinds for your windows. I have multiple other windows in the room already with full heavy block out curtains and pelmets and such and can tell you the amount of block out is nothing like the screen away which results in zero light leakage ! :) 

Damn you al, (and @Quark) new line of expenditure coming up - might be expensive fitting my long lounge window too! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, evil c said:

Damn you al, (and @Quark) new line of expenditure coming up - might be expensive fitting my long lounge window too! ?

ha ! yeah i suspect your would end up similar to what you saw at Quark's :) hopefully not prohibitively expensive  ! 

• 3 months later...

very small little update...

yes this is how you upgrade... sell unit you have for half price bought it for ... instant loss... then replace it with something else ...that looks exactly same :D yep went node 2 to node 2i... @evil c 

still to stumble across ... *discover* what the difference is ... I understand can use apple airplay or access apple library or something ... will get to bottom of it when get a chance ...

anyways had to add something little extra to it so some semblance of upgrade ...

0I9A8526.jpeg

little something extra is bluesound remote.... neat little thing.... reminds me it seems to have a brightness button... which see what that does... see if i can dim the lights on the node2i a tad as VERY bright... especially if running the projector...

0I9A8524.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

very small little update...

yes this is how you upgrade... sell unit you have for half price bought it for ... instant loss... then replace it with something else ...that looks exactly same :D yep went node 2 to node 2i... @evil c 

still to stumble across ... *discover* what the difference is ... I understand can use apple airplay or access apple library or something ... will get to bottom of it when get a chance ...

anyways had to add something little extra to it so some semblance of upgrade ...

0I9A8526.jpeg

little something extra is bluesound remote.... neat little thing.... reminds me it seems to have a brightness button... which see what that does... see if i can dim the lights on the node2i a tad as VERY bright... especially if running the projector...

0I9A8524.jpeg

WD al, I bought a spare Node 2 to play outside music and tried out in my main system. 

Still sounds excellent to me, but general consensus is the 2i is better again overall - including sonically. 

Hmm remote you say, unsure if I want another remote around evil springs!,?

Gotta have something to spend our $$ on, it's getting harder as only so much food and grog you can stomach!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

oh - oh ! watching last night hear some pops and a rushing noise from one of the Velodyne DD15s.... a sign of old age sadly... fortunately it is a known aspect as these subs get older...good things like this should never die ! and very fortunately they are supported out the US, with a set cost $240 turnaround. with usually just a recap of the subs plate amp needed. Hopefully nothing else but I guess 14 years out of a classD plate amp on these is good going.... logged a service ticket last night and promptly got a work order and notice to ship. so will get off to the post in the morning. 

so this morning pulled sub out...

0I9A8725.jpeg

not too much work to get the amp off.... carefully labelled and tagged and photo graphed each connection so can put back together again ! 

0I9A8736.jpeg

while at it too a peak at the beast within... I have never ever read of one of these drivers ever going down... so leave well alone :D 

0I9A8737.jpeg

packed the sub amp away for the post ... "SMEG" indeed as they would say on red dwarf :D 

0I9A8738.jpeg

The Diva's look on forlornly....  wth this one gone down will just mean my Diva's loose their partner to take things down low 40hz-15hz... oh well... the Diva's do pump some air down to 20hz so will just have to manage in mean time, hopefully its not too long. 

0I9A8726.jpeg

I fortunately do have a couple of DD15s. And the 2nd DD15 is more than enough for the room for AV theatre side so certainly won't miss out that side of things ! 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, betty boop said:

oh - oh ! watching last night hear some pops and a rushing noise from one of the Velodyne DD15s.... a sign of old age sadly... fortunately it is a known aspect as these subs get older...good things like this should never die ! and very fortunately they are supported out the US, with a set cost $240 turnaround. with usually just a recap of the subs plate amp needed. Hopefully nothing else but I guess 14 years out of a classD plate amp on these is good going.... logged a service ticket last night and promptly got a work order and notice to ship. so will get off to the post in the morning. 

so this morning pulled sub out...

0I9A8725.jpeg

not too much work to get the amp off.... carefully labelled and tagged and photo graphed each connection so can put back together again ! 

0I9A8736.jpeg

while at it too a peak at the beast within... I have never ever read of one of these drivers ever going down... so leave well alone :D 

0I9A8737.jpeg

packed the sub amp away for the post ... "SMEG" indeed as they would say on red dwarf :D 

0I9A8738.jpeg

The Diva's look on forlornly....  wth this one gone down will just mean my Diva's loose their partner to take things down low 40hz-15hz... oh well... the Diva's do pump some air down to 20hz so will just have to manage in mean time, hopefully its not too long. 

0I9A8726.jpeg

I fortunately do have a couple of DD15s. And the 2nd DD15 is more than enough for the room for AV theatre side so certainly won't miss out that side of things ! 

Good luck with the resto Al. and hope it's pummelling away again soon!!!!

3 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Good luck with the resto Al. and hope it's pummelling away again soon!!!!

thank you TB. everything crossed, folks who have had this done say its all as good as new after ! so heres hoping :) 

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

0I9A8737.jpeg

That looks like a weird design, it looks like it has no magnet or voice coil ?? :unsure:

• Like 1