Where the Divas Sing

Welcome to my Lounge room :)

This is the front stage - where the Divas sing :D

imageproxy.php-6.jpeg

Incorporating *Focal CC1000be centre* *Focal Utopia Divas main speakers* *Twin Velodyne DD15 subwoofers* *Musical Fidelity A5cr 2ch Pwr amplifier* *Cambridge 751BD* *Sony 5400ES SACD player* *Denon AVP-A1HD3D* *Elektra TheatreHD* *Pioneer KRP-50M 9th gen Kuro Plasma* *TivoHD* *AppleTV 160GB* *DuneHD*

Close up of one of the lovely Focal Utopia Divas
imageproxy.php-7.jpeg

and of the AV equipment rack

imageproxy.php-8.jpeg

For 2ch this is where it begins !
imageproxy.php-9.jpeg

Comprising *Rega p9 Turn Table with Ortofon Jubilee MC stylus* *Audio Research PH5 Tube phono pre* *Luxman D-06 SACD player* *Musical Fidelity A5CD player* *Musical Fidelity A5cr Pre* Cambridge 650T FM/AM/DAB+ tuner*

Close up of the Rega p9. This is my 9th life, there is nothing that can replace it ...

file_zpsca99beec.JPG.d863166476e19620ec5f937dde4328a6.JPG
My Rega p9 Turn Table with Ortofon Jubilee MC stylus ....THE REGA TOTAL ANALOG GROOVE "THANG" as it says inside the p9 psu box... THERE WILL BE NO JITTER OR UP-SAMPLING HERE **** WITH THE REGA TOTAL ANALOG GROOVE THANG...

Close up of the lovely Ortofon Jubilee moving coil stylus, truly a celebration of vinyl ! also shows a hint of the Thorens cork/natural rubber split platter mat that I am using.
imageproxy.php-10.jpeg

At the cosy end is where you want to kick back :) ------------------- Projector *JVC DLA-X35 using peerless PRG UNV-A mount* The 4 Surrounds... *Focal SR1000be bi-pole side surrounds* *Subsonic XR1 rears*
imageproxy.php-12.jpeg

Close up of the JVC DLA-X35 projector for feeding the 2D and 3D visual experience
file_zpsd2531ea0.JPG

This is from the sweet spot, with screen down ready for some movie action :)
imageproxy.php-13.jpeg

Using a Screen Technics electricinema premium motorised 92" 16:9 screen, placed at viewing distance to fully resolve 1080p HDTV and to THX spec for full immersion !

And then theres Headfi

imageproxy.php-14.jpeg

Including the Earmax Pro OTL valve amp* *Musical Fidelity X-CanV8 & PSU* *Grado RS1 headphones* Out of shot, *Sennheiser HD580* *Sennheiser HD700* *B&W P5 & P7*

Close up of the lovely little Earmax pro
imageproxy.php-15.jpeg

and its match made in heaven in the Grado reference RS1's
imageproxy.php-16.jpeg

The most recent editions have been the lovely Luxman D-06 CD/SACD player which have been quite impressed with, and the Headfi which seem to have gone a bit nuts with, but very much enjoying again :)

So there you have it, my wife I have much to thank for being most patient to let me play in this space. And it is a family room/lounge room after all, so serves multi purpose. And seems to work pretty well in this form. with one of the daughters watching play school or home movies, to some TV on the plasma in the day time or the projector screen down and curtains drawn for the big screen movie experience. Or often just myself with wife kids sometimes joining in, kicking back to enjoy some tunes...definitely a space we very much enjoy :)

imageproxy.php-11.jpeg

• Like 37
  • Love 3

A plasma with a projector that drops in front of it - now I've seen it all! 

Those twin Velodyne's would shake the room, no doubt!  Very impressive, good work Al.

Is the centre channel up to the task?

thanks Kaynin, its a system thats been slowly morphing into its current form over the last 10 years or so :)

yeah one of the velodynes is blended in to extend my mains so they are full range for 2ch duties, the other velodyne is purely LFE for ht, but way I have them configured both come in play for movies. yep no prob shaking the room hehe

yes the centre is a 3 way running similar drivers to my Divas and seems to be a pretty good match for movies :)

Edited by :) al
  • Like 1

Well, the work has paid off, it looks sensational. 

I've heard you mention running 2 subs in another thread.  There's only 2 problems.  One, you're giving me ideas.  The other problem is that I have the room for 2 subbies.....

I'm a big fan of Focals, they not only make speakers that sound full and lush to me, but they are beautiful to look at as well.

Your balance between 2 channel and HT has clearly given you the best of both worlds.

Well, the work has paid off, it looks sensational.

I've heard you mention running 2 subs in another thread. There's only 2 problems. One, you're giving me ideas. The other problem is that I have the room for 2 subbies.....

I'm a big fan of Focals, they not only make speakers that sound full and lush to me, but they are beautiful to look at as well.

Your balance between 2 channel and HT has clearly given you the best of both worlds.

hehe thanks, with the subs you could do what I did, get one, and then sneak another one in down the track without any reasonable explanation and ask for forgiveness... :D

yes a big fan of focals, their warmth of vocals, delicate top end, their fruity bass :love

Pretty pleased with the balance between my two loves of 2ch and ht. Prior to this place I always had two separate 2ch and ht setups, so to combine them initially had some big concerns but really glad how things have worked out. Its definitely possible a system to enjoy both :thumb:

• Like 1

"yeah one of the velodynes is blended in to extend my mains so they are full range for 2ch duties, the other velodyne is purely LFE for ht, but way I have them configured both come in play for movies"

Can u please elaborate on how u achieve this? BTW u have a lovely setup. Those Focals must sound terrific.

Thanks Mr G, the velodyne on the right feeds off the pre out on my 2ch power amp, and I utilise the SMS-1 system built in the velodyne to to integrate and blend in with my mains to give a smooth and flat eq'd response 200-15hz back at the main listening position for 2ch duties. The velodyne on the left is hooked upto the Denon av processor and configured for HT LFE duties only. Audyssey xt32 on the Denon, sees my Divas and the integrated velodyne as a full range mains and utilised that way for movies. Audyssey xt32 configures and eqs the other velodyne purely for ht duties. A combination been running a few years now and very happy with for both 2ch and ht duties :)

Great setup you've got there Al :thumb:

Some awesome components you've collected over the years!

I especially love your P9 running the Jubilee! ...

I've just treated myself to a Cadenza Black to replace my SPU sometime in the new year.

But I'm a bit concerned about your statement "This is my 9th life, after this there are no more turntables" ... what exactly does that mean ... you can't be foresaking vinyl?

• Like 1

Great setup you've got there Al :thumb:

Some awesome components you've collected over the years!

I especially love your P9 running the Jubilee! ...

I've just treated myself to a Cadenza Black to replace my SPU sometime in the new year.

But I'm a bit concerned about your statement "This is my 9th life, after this there are no more turntables" ... what exactly does that mean ... you can't be foresaking vinyl?

thankyou sierra, the cadenza would be a beauty. look forward to reading how you find it.

Love my p9.  Will never give up vinyl, but used up my 9th life buying the rega, its my turntable for life....there will be nothing to replace it :)

• Like 1

Lovely setup Al.  Thanks for sharing. 

great job!

very nicely balanced/ packaged room.

thank you guys :)

Nice setup and great photos.

If it were mine, there's no way I could resist NOT using both subs for music with the crossover set as high as possible.

thanks, hehe when I got the 2nd DD15, I did try in various configurations, and settled in the config I have as best suits my needs and hits the spot for depth and output. If I had a larger room I would certainly consider utilising both DD15s for music :)

ps I reckon Focal make some of the most interesting drivers on the planet ! and secret behind their lovely rendition of vocals is their massive "power flower" mid range driver that lurks within each Diva...check it out here, courtesy of photo from "hifi shock" focal definitely don't do things by halves  :o

imageproxy.php-17.jpeg

Never thought of running my sub's like that al. My sub's don't have any fancy options apart from phase, gain xover.

I think I would miss the 2 sub's working in unison for HT. In my case the one sub is not powerful enough for my HT needs so the 2 together work much better.

Never thought of running my sub's like that al. My sub's don't have any fancy options apart from phase, gain xover.

I think I would miss the 2 sub's working in unison for HT. In my case the one sub is not powerful enough for my HT needs so the 2 together work much better.

hi Mr G, velodyne do sell the sms-1 system separately for those wanting  to use with other brand subs, about $350 usually second hand and show up now and then, even if not for sub integration and eq, find it really is a handy thing for measurement using its inbuilt RTA which helps a bit in positioning, checking response of sub, speakers and combined system back to main listening position.

yes in my case even when had the one DD15, its sufficient enough to shake the couch, room, whole house ! :D even move the front door on its hinges :lol: but yeah as I mentioned the 2nd DD15 does infact come in play for HT, as it works in unison with my mains extending them which is handy for concerts and the like and there is a bit of stuff in movies too where there plenty of sub bass sent through to the fronts. For me its best arrangement have found that works for me for 2ch and ht, but agree there'll be other better setups to suit other equipment, settings and needs :)

Lookin very nice Al, have you moved or is this the same space that you had from when I visited many years ago?

thanks Joz, same place...same space from when you and joe visited all those years ago when I first got the Divas :) ... just morphed a bit since those times... :D

thankyou sierra, the cadenza would be a beauty. look forward to reading how you find it.

Love my p9.  Will never give up vinyl, but used up my 9th life buying the rega, its my turntable for life....there will be nothing to replace it :)

Ah ... glad you clarified that al ... had me worried for a moment   :P

That's really cool that the P9 is your turntable for life ... very few can say things like that about their components  :)

• Like 1