AVR Recommendation

G'day all,

I'm planning to buy a set of Whatmough bookshelves in March (milestone birthday present type thing).

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/whatmough-signature-p15-standmount-speakers-bubinga/

Frequency Response 45Hz to 40kHz ± 3dB

Sensitivity 89dB input level of 2.83V. (1 watt into 8 Ω)

Amplifier Power Recommended 25 – 100 Watts RMS

Power Handling Transient levels in excess of 150w. Average levels of 60w

Nominal Impedance 8 ohm

Driver/s 1 x 170mm hybrid fibre cone long elbow mid/bass driver and a 35mm dual concentric tweeter with wave guide centre plug.

elbow mid/bass driver and a 35mm dual concentric tweeter with wave guide centre plug

Enclosure 3-way Bass Reflex

They'll be primarily used for music, but I'll also be using them as the fronts for home theatre.

Not sure how to approach the amplification.

One possible config could be:

Oppo as CD & BR source

AVR for Surround Duties/Airplay functionality/input switching etc...and to drive sub-woofer & surround speakers

Power amp to drive the Whatmoughs

Also could consider getting a good integrated amp with HT bypass to drive the fronts and matching it up with a surround power amp? Would that work? Source would still be the Oppo.

Interested to hear your thoughts..

The one problem with using a separate integrated with ht bypass is that it can cause problems if you have other family members that use the system. They don't understand why they have to turn on all these different bits of kit and then you have to have the correct inputs selected etc. keep it simple for the non fanatics.

For this reason I use a denon receiver as std and when I have time to listen for myself I plug in my stereo setup to the main left n right - I have 2sets of speaker cable so its just pull the denon out and put the pwr amp link in. Of course you need to remember to have it all switched off when you change the speaker cables over. You could do this with your oppo - connect the digital out to a receiver and the analog out to your integrated. Still kind of messy but....

Also I would if possible use the same type of power amp for all your channels with surround. Although if your speakers don't match maybe that won't matter so much.

Dr nick using a ht bypass on an integrated doesn't have to complicate anything. we just use a universal remote (a harmony in our case but there are many affordable options) and it really is as simple as "watch tv" "listen to CD" or "listen to radio" or "watch DVD"  or "apple TV" that you hit on the harmony and all is selected in a flash. easy peasy. it couldn't get any simpler. wife uses it, inlays and family when come over, even the baby sitter we get once a month no probs. Had the system setup this way for coming upto last 10 years or so now.

by all means use a standalone avr if want. but theres nothing stopping in using an integrated with ht bypass if want to take step up 2ch wise and have an integrated system without plugging and unplugging or any particular setup required to go between 2ch and ht side of things :)

Hi al

Yes true I could simplify the process with a better remote but I never bothered. Probably partly because at one point I had an audio research ref 110 (should have kept it) and I didn't see the point in putting hours on the valves for the benefit of the wiggles!

N

• Like 1