Sign in to follow this  
Topman_Chief

Oppo 105 or $1,500 AVR for audio quality?

I have an old Rotel RSX-1056 which is doing the DAC duty with incoming digital signals from Apple TV, Telstra T-Box and a cheap Blu-Ray player. The Rotel started struggling to identify the digital input (coax or optical) some time ago and now is failing less often than not. 

So, I'd like to upgrade to something that can handle the DAC duties for both 2.0 and 5.1 duties. I'm currently thinking of either:

A. Oppo 105 into the analogue section of the Rotel RSX-1056, or

B. New AVR for approximately the same price as the Oppo ($1200-$1500, e.g. Rotel RSX-1550)

My main priority is two-channel sound quality. I'm currently running old Mission 734 floorstanders, looking to upgrade to something in the $3K range such as PSB Imagine T2. Some of the features of the Oppo 105 appeal, but really I can do everything I want at the moment via Apple TV and the crappy Blu-Ray player (I don't even own any Blu-Ray disks). I like the sound of the Rotel RSX-1056, and would hate to retire it just because of the digital section failing. I have been reading quite a bit on DACs lately and appreciate the difference they can make in a system so don't want to skimp there. Obviously I could add a stand-alone DAC later but this makes for a complicated living room arrangement. Music is generally ALAC files played (currently) via the Apple TV. 

I guess the main question is: Would the Oppo 105 DAC section thoroughly outshine a $1500 AVR DAC section, or would a one-box solution sound just as good? 

Any advice appreciated. 

Thanks

or get the Rotel fixed - should only cost a few hundred at most - money saved can do to those speakers.

Your unlikely to better  2ch sound of the Rotel for $1500 and the Oppo brings some ups and downs

the 105 seems a bit out of kilter with the rest of the system. I would try get the rotel fixed if dont have a lot of cash....or move on. 

you could pick up a brand new 1550 for under $1500 so would just grab that instead.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rotel-RSX-1550-7-1-Home-Theater-Receiver-New-/290924489728?pt=AU_Electronics_Home_Audio_Tuners_Receivers&hash=item43bc736c00&_uhb=1

DACs are probably the most popular stuff sold in the SNA classified, there are plenty of good DAC around for less than $1500.  Eg there is a good Audio-GD Ref 5 for $650. I would buy that and with the rest going towards better speakers.

EXPERT advice above makes good sense

A comment though on oppo SQ

Keith /Cheekyboy bought 1 and immediately sold his Droplet!

Some great input - highly appreciated. I had planned to get the RSX-1056 looked at, but don't hold out great hopes of getting the digital input section fixed (and wouldn't mind a step-up in DAC and video capability anyway).

or get the Rotel fixed - should only cost a few hundred at most - money saved can do to those speakers.

Your unlikely to better  2ch sound of the Rotel for $1500 and the Oppo brings some ups and downs

I know there are plenty of comments on the Oppo floating around, but if you had to choose a few "ups and downs" versus using AVR features, what would they be?

An AVR gives you the convenience of switching input sources and some of the extra features that come with even cheap ones today.  Things like basic automated correction/channel balance and sometimes DAB+ included. If you do not have a high quality disk player and or streamer then you might be better off wit the Oppo. Volume control can be a problem with just the Oppo for lower gain power amps. The Oppo DACs are about as good as you will get without spending more than the $1500 for a dedicated DAC.

With the Oppo you can always go to an AVReceiver/Preprocessor later, if you need more flexibility.

Thanks Peta. I'm pretty much laughing out loud now as this morning I had convinced myself that if the repair on the Rotel AVR wasn't successful then I would buy a newer AVR. Now I'm back on the fence, seeing the merits of the Oppo going into the analogue section of my old Rotel AVR, which would then take on pre and pro duties. That would overcome the issue of gain since it isn't just a power amp. Not a neat solution, but arguably more capable and better sound than a new AVR.

I have an Audio-gd 11.32 which I use at work with headphones. It is a lower level Audio-gd unit (but does have Sabre DACs) so gave it a run doing DAC duty into the Rotel analogue section and even that was a noticeable step up from the Rotel DAC.

Oh well, lets hope the repair is successful and I can put the money towards speakers.

peta makes some very good points there, I too do think there is a place for an av pre or avr in these cases :)

EXPERT advice above makes good sense

A comment though on oppo SQ

Keith /Cheekyboy bought 1 and immediately sold his Droplet!

Smart man

Im a fan of the Oppo 105, but in your case it makes sense to fix or replace the amp.

Later on if you start collecting BD's or Hi Def files, then the Oppo might come into the picture.