Here is my system.

I have finally finished a lot of the tweaks I have been experimenting with.

The MB2se's sound much, much better than they did at the AV show (thankfully).

Assisi paid a visit today to try out a few things and have a listen.  He owns ML2 limited's and a PS Audio PWDac as well.  We both felt the PMC MB2se's have the same beautiful midrange and treble as the ML2's.  The PMC's effortlessly disappear and reproduce realistic soundstage width and depth.  In my space (quite large and open) the bass is perfectly proportioned and controlled.  The sound is very much "live".

post-142578-0-61029400-1386398506_thumb.

post-142578-0-01088500-1386398537_thumb.

post-142578-0-65066600-1386398572_thumb.

post-142578-0-20555400-1386398598_thumb.

post-142578-0-88483300-1386398633_thumb.

post-142578-0-04872700-1386398667_thumb.

post-142578-0-48339600-1386398699_thumb.

post-142578-0-87292000-1386398734_thumb.

• Like 11
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The new house has a dedicated Hi-Fi room...    The room has its own sub board on a single phase from the 3 phase power supply to the house.  6 individual dedicated power outlets, wired from t

Here is my system.   I have finally finished a lot of the tweaks I have been experimenting with.   The MB2se's sound much, much better than they did at the AV show (thankfully).   Assisi paid a

The new setup!

the room looks fantastic, comfortable is what i see, but the speakers are a bit too near to each other, if can spread to 2.1-2.4m is even better :)

interesting tube amp, is that DIY?

Edited by henry218

Love the lounges, they look great.

Do they interfere with the sound stage though being so close to the speakers? The angled wall with the doorway must be a bonus for reflections and if you spread the speakers a tad, would that interfere with the door and your rack?

Audio Research...very very yum.

Lol please make me one.

Me too! I would like to order a couple of those in monoblocks please

Nice system by the way - congratulations 

Edited by oceangreen17

That looks fantastic. Congrats

When;s the gtg :)

Gtg in the new year. I'm in Ballarat. I will give you guys plenty of notice.

the room looks fantastic, comfortable is what i see, but the speakers are a bit too near to each other, if can spread to 2.1-2.4m is even better :)

The amp is my Audio Research ref 150. I agree though, it looks too well laid out for a commercial amp! Room practicalities dictate some of the speaker positioning - 2m apart. Further apart interferes with a doorway near the rear left speaker.... Doh.

Love the lounges, they look great.

Do they interfere with the sound stage though being so close to the speakers? The angled wall with the doorway must be a bonus for reflections and if you spread the speakers a tad, would that interfere with the door and your rack?

Audio Research...very very yum.

The lounges are really easy to move for serious listening, but the difference is minimal. As you can see the mids and tweets are elevated high enough to be above the headrests. The lounges actually probably help break up reflections, as does the irregular shape of the room.

Interestingly the ARC ref 150 sound very dry through the 4ohm tap - like a SS amp. Through the 16ohm tap the midrange has noticable bloom and lushness. I find the 8ohm tap is the best - a middle ground between these.

Interestingly the ARC ref 150 sound very dry through the 4ohm tap - like a SS amp. Through the 16ohm tap the midrange has noticable bloom and lushness. I find the 8ohm tap is the best - a middle ground between these.

Look if you find that the middle ground is just too much of a compromise ....  I could help you out and swap your crappy old DIY ARC reference amp for some ..... dedicated 8 ohm tap measly 7 watt tube amps  .... besides I just happen to have some 16 ohm speakers which might sound OK .... bloom and lushness ... probably just tube distortion  :)

well  :P , when i saw the innards, it looked like DIY or have been modified :), i didnt see the previous photo though  :lol:  otherwise its quite clear enough.

• Like 1

Sorry Henry I have probably got enough mileage out of the DIY thingy 

I am just plain jealous of that fabulous powerful tube amp - I have one 4 watt and a couple of 7 watt tube amps ..

Sometimes you wish for a bit more grunt !

Look if you find that the middle ground is just too much of a compromise ....  I could help you out and swap your crappy old DIY ARC reference amp for some ..... dedicated 8 ohm tap measly 7 watt tube amps  .... besides I just happen to have some 16 ohm speakers which might sound OK .... bloom and lushness ... probably just tube distortion  :)

Yes, it is a tough life when this is the compromise you have to choose. ;) Thank you for your kind offer but I will dwell in my miserable state for a while longer. :))

• Like 1

Very lovely system. Love the ARC stuff and that series of PMC has always been of interest...

I'll be keen to have a listen next year.

Cheers

M

I made the "mistake" of taking the ARC home for a trial... Suffice to say it never went back to the store. The sound stage is limited only by the walls of my room.

For all those interested in the future GTG, remember that I have limited my system to computer audio - no voodoo black magic (aka vinyl)... At least not yet. ;)

• Moderators

I made the "mistake" of taking the ARC home for a trial... Suffice to say it never went back to the store. The sound stage is limited only by the walls of my room.

For all those interested in the future GTG, remember that I have limited my system to computer audio - no voodoo black magic (aka vinyl)... At least not yet. ;)

ah well left the door open a tad I see.... audio research do make beautiful phono pre's :D

ah well left the door open a tad I see.... audio research do make beautiful phono pre's :D

And I have a friend who can get me a good deal on VPI gear.... I just don't own any vinyl! So hard to start afresh with a music collection.

• Like 1

Oh my, MB2s and ARC ...noice

Yes indeed, lovely system

And I have a friend who can get me a good deal on VPI gear.... I just don't own any vinyl! So hard to start afresh with a music collection.

Seriously?...........Why?..... The relevance is no longer pertinent!

Edited by bzr
  • 3 months later...

A system update:

Coincident Statement Linestage now in place (has been for 2 months now actually).  ARC ref 150 relegated to a new position, on it's own rack in front.

post-142578-0-35153000-1396768365_thumb.

post-142578-0-45939100-1396768409_thumb.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

The new house has a dedicated Hi-Fi room... :love

The room has its own sub board on a single phase from the 3 phase power supply to the house.  6 individual dedicated power outlets, wired from the sub board with 6mm single core electrical wiring.

Side and back wall thick bumpf lined curtains.

4 seat recliner sofa.

In the future - acoustic panel room treatments to back wall and roof, projector and retractable cinema screen.  I'm interested to hear from anyone with positive (or negative) experiences with any particular brands or suppliers of these items.

In the meantime, I'm just enjoying music :party

IMG_0006.JPG

Edited by Stereophilus
  • Like 12

Stereophilus how the hell did you make those PMC's look small?

That must be some big arse room, well done and congrats on the new pad.

Have you noticed a significant difference in the sound with so much more space around them?

It is a nice wide room (6.3m) with a 3.5m high ceiling, although not quite as deep as what I originally wanted at 5.4m.  Despite appearacance the back of the speakers is 80cm from the back wall.  There was quite a few hours of tweaking speaker position to get things right.  Initially I had them much further out into the room, which sucked out the bass.  This pictured position seems to be the sweet spot, but I'm still experimenting with toe-in to improve the off angle imaging.  Mid-bass seems to be the hardest thing to get right, which, ime is affected most by the distance between the 2 speakers relative to the width of the back wall.

Its a very different room to my previous setup, but the overall tone hasn't altered.  The biggest difference is the soundstage and imaging, which is now sublime.  As I mentioned a while back in this thread, my previous living room setup was constrained by practical issues for good speaker placement.  With this dedicated room, I can tweak the speakers position as much as I want to get things just right.

• Like 2

I found that Stillpoint Apertures added or should I say enhanced some very nice detail at first side reflection point.

Shall try a few on the rear wall  as well soon.

i think they are worth a look if that helps at all

• 4 years later...
21 minutes ago, Darryl said:

Watching keenly.

Couldn't find the popcorn emoji.

Here you go.

:popcorn:

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Well constructed shipping crate.

Anybody know how magico and tad are shipped 😀

You’re on the right track...