• 2 years later...

The new house has a dedicated Hi-Fi room... :love

The room has its own sub board on a single phase from the 3 phase power supply to the house.  6 individual dedicated power outlets, wired from the sub board with 6mm single core electrical wiring.

Side and back wall thick bumpf lined curtains.

4 seat recliner sofa.

In the future - acoustic panel room treatments to back wall and roof, projector and retractable cinema screen.  I'm interested to hear from anyone with positive (or negative) experiences with any particular brands or suppliers of these items.

In the meantime, I'm just enjoying music :party

IMG_0006.JPG

Edited by Stereophilus
  • Like 12

Stereophilus how the hell did you make those PMC's look small?

That must be some big arse room, well done and congrats on the new pad.

Have you noticed a significant difference in the sound with so much more space around them?

It is a nice wide room (6.3m) with a 3.5m high ceiling, although not quite as deep as what I originally wanted at 5.4m.  Despite appearacance the back of the speakers is 80cm from the back wall.  There was quite a few hours of tweaking speaker position to get things right.  Initially I had them much further out into the room, which sucked out the bass.  This pictured position seems to be the sweet spot, but I'm still experimenting with toe-in to improve the off angle imaging.  Mid-bass seems to be the hardest thing to get right, which, ime is affected most by the distance between the 2 speakers relative to the width of the back wall.

Its a very different room to my previous setup, but the overall tone hasn't altered.  The biggest difference is the soundstage and imaging, which is now sublime.  As I mentioned a while back in this thread, my previous living room setup was constrained by practical issues for good speaker placement.  With this dedicated room, I can tweak the speakers position as much as I want to get things just right.

• Like 2

I found that Stillpoint Apertures added or should I say enhanced some very nice detail at first side reflection point.

Shall try a few on the rear wall  as well soon.

i think they are worth a look if that helps at all

• 4 years later...

17 minutes ago, Steam said:

Wow!  

and I was hoping the PMC’s for surround duty

which PJ did you choose?

JVC DLA NX7 

Im sticking to 2-channel audio for simplicity... Unless Mola Mola bring out a 7 channel HT Dolby Atmos integrated amplifier. ?

• Like 1

I have not heard the Cygnus but all the other Rockport speakers I have heard are amazing.  Did you audition them first or take the plunge?   You certainly like to do it differently -  this must be the only mola mola/ Rockport combo on the continent.

50 minutes ago, Steam said:

I have not heard the Cygnus but all the other Rockport speakers I have heard are amazing.  Did you audition them first or take the plunge?   You certainly like to do it differently -  this must be the only mola mola/ Rockport combo on the continent.

I think we are allowed GTGs again? You should pay a visit.

Speakers are a very tricky choice because you often can’t audition them in your own room.  As such there is always going to be something of a leap into the unknown.  Having settled on the electronics side of my system I wanted to find the best match for these.  The good thing about the Mola Mola gear is that it is very portable, so I have been doing some travelling, listening and auditioning over the last 2 years.  I’ve also talked to a lot of owners and mates in the know.  Chris Connaker at AudiophileStyle was doing some similar auditions and I had a chat to him as well.

I had a shortlist that included Wilson (Alexia), Magico (S5 mk2), Vivid (Giya G2) and Gauder Akoustik (DARC 200).  The wife immediately said no to the Giya’s.  The Gauder’s were going through some changes in the line up and the distributor advised I listen to Rockport instead.  

So the final 3 were Magico S5 mk2, Wilson Alexia and Rockport Cygnus.  In the end it came down to synergy with the Mola Mola gear.  The Rockports love to bath in all that class D power.  The combination of fast, articulate amplifiers with the liquid smooth Rockport upper mids is just... Wow.

• Like 3

GTG is good for me.  Would love to.  Although probably bad for my bank account if I hear the setup.

I now have this picture in my head of you rolling up to a store demo with a suitcase full of amps ?  awesome!

• Haha 1