Here is my system.

I have finally finished a lot of the tweaks I have been experimenting with.

The MB2se's sound much, much better than they did at the AV show (thankfully).

Assisi paid a visit today to try out a few things and have a listen.  He owns ML2 limited's and a PS Audio PWDac as well.  We both felt the PMC MB2se's have the same beautiful midrange and treble as the ML2's.  The PMC's effortlessly disappear and reproduce realistic soundstage width and depth.  In my space (quite large and open) the bass is perfectly proportioned and controlled.  The sound is very much "live".

post-142578-0-61029400-1386398506_thumb.

post-142578-0-01088500-1386398537_thumb.

post-142578-0-65066600-1386398572_thumb.

post-142578-0-20555400-1386398598_thumb.

post-142578-0-88483300-1386398633_thumb.

post-142578-0-04872700-1386398667_thumb.

post-142578-0-48339600-1386398699_thumb.

post-142578-0-87292000-1386398734_thumb.

• Like 11

the room looks fantastic, comfortable is what i see, but the speakers are a bit too near to each other, if can spread to 2.1-2.4m is even better :)

interesting tube amp, is that DIY?

Edited by henry218

Love the lounges, they look great.

Do they interfere with the sound stage though being so close to the speakers? The angled wall with the doorway must be a bonus for reflections and if you spread the speakers a tad, would that interfere with the door and your rack?

Audio Research...very very yum.

Lol please make me one.

Me too! I would like to order a couple of those in monoblocks please

Nice system by the way - congratulations 

Edited by oceangreen17

That looks fantastic. Congrats

When;s the gtg :)

Gtg in the new year. I'm in Ballarat. I will give you guys plenty of notice.

the room looks fantastic, comfortable is what i see, but the speakers are a bit too near to each other, if can spread to 2.1-2.4m is even better :)

The amp is my Audio Research ref 150. I agree though, it looks too well laid out for a commercial amp! Room practicalities dictate some of the speaker positioning - 2m apart. Further apart interferes with a doorway near the rear left speaker.... Doh.

Love the lounges, they look great.

Do they interfere with the sound stage though being so close to the speakers? The angled wall with the doorway must be a bonus for reflections and if you spread the speakers a tad, would that interfere with the door and your rack?

Audio Research...very very yum.

The lounges are really easy to move for serious listening, but the difference is minimal. As you can see the mids and tweets are elevated high enough to be above the headrests. The lounges actually probably help break up reflections, as does the irregular shape of the room.

Interestingly the ARC ref 150 sound very dry through the 4ohm tap - like a SS amp. Through the 16ohm tap the midrange has noticable bloom and lushness. I find the 8ohm tap is the best - a middle ground between these.

Interestingly the ARC ref 150 sound very dry through the 4ohm tap - like a SS amp. Through the 16ohm tap the midrange has noticable bloom and lushness. I find the 8ohm tap is the best - a middle ground between these.

Look if you find that the middle ground is just too much of a compromise ....  I could help you out and swap your crappy old DIY ARC reference amp for some ..... dedicated 8 ohm tap measly 7 watt tube amps  .... besides I just happen to have some 16 ohm speakers which might sound OK .... bloom and lushness ... probably just tube distortion  :)

Sorry Henry I have probably got enough mileage out of the DIY thingy 

I am just plain jealous of that fabulous powerful tube amp - I have one 4 watt and a couple of 7 watt tube amps ..

Sometimes you wish for a bit more grunt !

Look if you find that the middle ground is just too much of a compromise ....  I could help you out and swap your crappy old DIY ARC reference amp for some ..... dedicated 8 ohm tap measly 7 watt tube amps  .... besides I just happen to have some 16 ohm speakers which might sound OK .... bloom and lushness ... probably just tube distortion  :)

Yes, it is a tough life when this is the compromise you have to choose. ;) Thank you for your kind offer but I will dwell in my miserable state for a while longer. :))

• Like 1

Very lovely system. Love the ARC stuff and that series of PMC has always been of interest...

I'll be keen to have a listen next year.

Cheers

M

I made the "mistake" of taking the ARC home for a trial... Suffice to say it never went back to the store. The sound stage is limited only by the walls of my room.

For all those interested in the future GTG, remember that I have limited my system to computer audio - no voodoo black magic (aka vinyl)... At least not yet. ;)

I made the "mistake" of taking the ARC home for a trial... Suffice to say it never went back to the store. The sound stage is limited only by the walls of my room.

For all those interested in the future GTG, remember that I have limited my system to computer audio - no voodoo black magic (aka vinyl)... At least not yet. ;)

ah well left the door open a tad I see.... audio research do make beautiful phono pre's :D

Oh my, MB2s and ARC ...noice

Yes indeed, lovely system

And I have a friend who can get me a good deal on VPI gear.... I just don't own any vinyl! So hard to start afresh with a music collection.

Seriously?...........Why?..... The relevance is no longer pertinent!

Edited by groot

• 3 months later...