New set up needed. Looking for ideas/advice

I use a synology NAS to stream over my home network to both a Denon AVR 3313 and to an Apple Airport Express which is connected to a 2-channel amp. The NAS is also connected via USB to my headphone amp via a HRT microstreamer DAC. Interface is via iPhone/iPad DS Audio app which controls the Synology Audio Station software installed on the NAS.

This setup works flawlessly for me and doesn't require an additional streamer. Obviously you don't want to use anything Apple but the DS Audio app is also available for Android devices so your setup could be:

Synology NAS -> DAC -> Amp plus an Android phone or tablet for control

• Like 1

This setup works flawlessly for me and doesn't require an additional streamer. Obviously you don't want to use anything Apple but the DS Audio app is also available for Android devices so your setup could be:

Synology NAS -> DAC -> Amp plus an Android phone or tablet for control

This idea i had from the beginning.

Nas/dac/amp.

But some suggested a media player was needed to use with the nas.

In that case is just to many devices cluttering along... so I was thinking laptop could be good.

Laptop/dac/amp

Both are a 3 device set-up, but considering both me and gf have a decent size of storage a nas makes a lot of sense.

As you get more storage room on a nas.

May i ask wich Synology model you have?

And how much storage you are using?

My NAS is a DS212j with 2 x one terabyte hard drives. I chose Western Digital Red drives as they are made specifically for NAS use. The two hard rives are set up in Raid 1 which means they are exact copies of each other which gives you a backup if a drive fails. The NAS is very quiet.

Yes.

Am thinking of 2x4tb, so i don't have to upgrade soon, we already have 1.5tb storage...

Was thinking either the red at 250 each

Or the green at 200 each.

Making it a 600 or 700 total.

Thank you henry218 and holliswhy for your suggestions.

Haven't had the time yet to look.

But i definitely will.

Edited by Damhooligan

Hey Johan, you ruled out Apple products for what reason? Have you owned one? I know it's cool to hate them ATM but that's just the normal Oz tall poppy syndrome. Soon it will be Google's turn.

Our iMac workstations in the office are about to outlast our PC server :cool:, despite them doing far more than just accessing the 1 database the server is needed for. After having 7 or 8 desktop or laptop PC's over the years I swapped to Mac 4 years ago when there were hardware tax inducements and I'm never going back, I don't think I've ever had a PC last that long without serious modification and fresh OS installs. In all that time we have never needed our IT company to do anything with the Mac's, only our server or the 1 remaining Windoze PC.

Mac computers tend to be great for people who don't want to fiddle or do maintenance to keep up performance.

Unless you are after Hi-Res files a sonos connect is also a great hide away media player, as long as it is used through a good DAC, it's inbuilt DAC leaves a bit to be desired. It is just so easy to use via smartphone apps that they don't even sell their own controller any more. Also has internet radio, spotify, pandora etc.... and probably cheaper than the laptop :P

Edited by blybo

Update.

I'm getting a lappie for xmas.

:-)

In happy with that.

Cool, what software do you use to play audio/video?

EDIT: It seems that some people need to get over the fact that Apple products don't appeal to everyone; perhaps Apple aren't marketing their products properly?

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 1

Hey Johan, you ruled out Apple products for what reason? Have you owned one? I know it's cool to hate them ATM but that's just the normal Oz tall poppy syndrome. Soon it will be Google's

I didn't know it was fashionable to hate them...

I believe the products are marketed better then they preform.

A bit like 'bose' and 'beats by dr dre'.

I'm sure many people disagree, but hey...

I don't like i tunes either, it has to many limits imho.

So my choice of not using apple is not based on what others think, cause for the same amount of haters you can find the same amount of lovers, is probably 50/50.

Their designs and products are just not for me as it doesn't offer what i want in a product, it goes for most of their products.

• Like 1

Cool, what software do you use to play audio/video?

EDIT: It seems that some people need to get over the fact that Apple products don't appeal to everyone; perhaps Apple aren't marketing their products properly?

It seems some people need get over the fact that all Apple products must be evil just because they are made by Apple. I recommended a Sonos music player for the same reason that I like some Apple products, bloody simple to use and damned reliable. I only asked why Johan seems to have a blanket no Apple policy, which he has since answered.

Edited by blybo

It seems some people need get over the fact that all Apple products must be evil just because they are made by Apple. I recommended a Sonos music player for the same reason that I like some Apple products, bloody simple to use and damned reliable. I only asked why Johan seems to have a blanket no Apple policy, which he has since answered.

Hi neil..

Satanica made a good point..

Why do i have to explain why i don't like apple?

Isn't simply saying i don't like their products enough..?

Why do i have to justify this..?

• Like 1

It seems some people need get over the fact that all Apple products must be evil just because they are made by Apple.

Well I get the feel there are far more Microsoft "haters" in the world than "Apple" haters so I can't really relate to what you're talking about.

Hi neil..

Satanica made a good point..

Why do i have to explain why i don't like apple?

Isn't simply saying i don't like their products enough..?

Why do i have to justify this..?

You don't need to justify anything to anybody. I just personally think it isn't wise to rule out ANY product based on brand when you haven't actually tried/demo'ed it. As an example, I drive a Ford even though I'm not keen on the brand as such, based on previous experienc, but after much research the Ford product suited my needs better than any other so I bought it.

I've heard that Mac Mini's are probably the best small form factor computers for streaming but I didn't go recommending one because I've never used one.

Well I get the feel there are far more Microsoft "haters" in the world than "Apple" haters so I can't really relate to what you're talking about.

I would say there was 3 years ago, but since the term walled garden was linked to Apple and Bill Gates got all goody 2 shoes on us that has certainly turned around from my perspective. Oh yeah, the only time I've used my laptop (Macbook Air) for direct music streaming when demo'ing a CD/DAC/Pre I didn't use iTunes either, I used Audirvana, but my music is still stored in the iTunes folder.

Edited by blybo

I just personally think it isn't wise to rule out ANY product based on brand when you haven't actually tried/demo'ed it.

As an example, I drive a Ford even though I'm not keen on the brand as such, based on previous experienc, but after much research the Ford product suited my needs better than any other so I bought it.

For goodness sake, you can't try and demo every single product every single time you make a purchase so why should he?

So did you try/demo every Make and Model of car before making your purchase? I mean to really know what's best you'd have to?

• Like 1

For goodness sake, you can't try and demo every single product every single time you make a purchase so why should he?

So did you try/demo every Make and Model of car before making your purchase? I mean to really know what's best you'd have to?

No, but I didn't rule any out because of a badge either which is actually my point!

I had specific needs and if a stationwagon or SUV didn't met those, it was off the list. I did test drive or sit in almost every one (within reason) that meet the criteria. I didn't end up with the vehicle I wanted, I got the vehicle that was best for my needs.

Anyway, good luck with your PC Johan, Merry Christmas. For my present I got Focal 806v's for my rear surrounds in the HT room :love . They sound so nice in stereo in my family room currently I'm in a bit of a dilemma about whether I should keep them there.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1

In the back of my mind i keep open minded to apple products in case they make something i can use.

But i doubt that percentage is higher then 1%..lol...

I always had a no vw policy while living in the Netherlands.

But things change and am now a proud owner of a passat.

:-)

So I'm always open to new things.