OPTICAL DILEMMA! SONY XA7ES MINT CONDITION-FAULTY LASER :( NO REPLACEMENTS????? SPEW!!!

1 hour ago, monaro8 said:

Hello Roman do you know how to fix it?

I think this is what you mean in your message?

I should for this is what I do in my semi-retirement.

After lifetime of fixing telemetry and telecommunications, I now fix audio in my garage.

Mainly CD players.

HERE is the link to my Solaris Technical channel with some 60+ videos of the more interesting (from technical view point) repairs.

But having said the above, I cannot really guarantee that I would be successful in fixing it.

I have never seen one before, the mechanism used in it was only ever deployed in 3 players and as such is very scarce/expensive and other parts are also unavailable.

I have just recently done XA5ESD where a spider became a resident under a servo board. Have a look HERE.

Caused a lot of damage but because servo board is no longer available, I had to do a lot of surgery on the board where surface mount technology was used.

All in all, I had to do it 4 times because board became brittle in the area of fault due to heat and it kept going open circuit on re-assembly.

If fault in yours would be anything like it, I would just reassemble it and send it back. ? 

All I can promise, is to have a good look at it, and give you estimate and only if you cannot find anyone locally.

Shipping things back and forth across the country (continent) is not good for vintage units. After many years of issue free shipping, I recently had 3 incidents in which things got damaged, despite best packing practises being used.

Sadly I have never had the opportunity to actually hear this one working due to the problem.

In a lot of cases people sell stuff that begins to fail and/or they received a repair quote exceeding the value of the player.

XA7ES is the best one piece Sony CD player.

It is probably very good but I doubt that it is the best they ever made and what does it even mean?

It might be the best there is for a particular person but others will certainly have a different opinion.

I myself would prefer something with KSS-190A mechanism.

Also, unlike what is  present in most Sony's mechanisms, XA5ES and I presume HA7ES also, have no adjustment pots that Sony's other players do and their design of it is not as mature as in players which use Philips mechanism, where it has always been a standard. 

So try someone local and if no one wants to touch it, then send me a pm.

Cheers

Roman

• Like 6