Sign in to follow this  
stealth

NAD T757 vs Marrantz SR7007 with VAF DC-X

I've got a pair of VAF DC-X on the way so it's time to replace my old Yamaha RXV. I've never been happy with it's thin, overly bright sound and have been using a Redgum SG-5500 to run my current Firesprite setup.

I jumped on a deal on an ex demo Marrantz SR7007 ($1800) but have been second guessing the decision a bit after reading about the sound quality of the NAD T757. I'm a bit wary of the stories of reliability issues and bugginess with the NAD.

I'm away from home for a couple of months so can't compare them myself. I may add a power amp for the mains later and listen to 80% music 20% movies.

Any thoughts on whether the Marrantz will do the job or should I take a chance on the NAD?

without shadow of a doubt in the power amp side of things the and will romp over the marantz. the marantz though based on denon processing and basically a denon avr will be a pretty decent performer and  bug free thing.

I notice both items are now superseded. the nad 758 is the replacement and I would rather buy that than the older model. as nad seem to progressively sort their avrs out with each subsequent model.

if concerned of bugginess of the nad. get a lemon clause on it with the retailer and express your concerns. let them know keen to buy the and but if the thing is a buggy pos you will be expecting it to be swapped out with something like the marantz. they should come to the party :)

Thanks for your input- that's definitely the impression I was getting too but because I work away a lot warranty isn't really the whole answer for reliability issues- I want to make sure I won't be getting calls from home because of some glitch...

Do you think there's a lot of difference in the per/pro side? ie, do you think there'd be much difference if the Marrantz was playing music via a power amp (I'm leaning toward NAD or Vincent)?

It's a bit frustrating that it'll always be a compromise- I'd be happy juggling the Redgum and my old Yamaha but I think it's too much of a hassle for my wife and various house guests- I need a simple and reliable setup...

I use a NAD receiver. The display occasionally "takes a break", but otherwise it's been flawless. Simple to set up and easy enough for visitors, baby sitters and so on to use.

Al

I've got a NAD T748 and it's been bulletproof since day 1. The menus take some getting used to, but once set up as desired it's pretty much hands-off. Seems like it has a reasonably gutsy amp stage as well which is nice.

I've had the NAD T787 for 12 months now, no bugginess at all, been hassel free (touchwood)...of the odd occasion I've wanted to suss out the best set-up NAD online customer service have been fast to reply.  This unit is definately easy to use.

good to hear. am only too happy to see they have got over their initial buggyness with early models :)

Thanks for all the input. I decided to compromise since I think I'd be too wary of the NAD being buggy to really enjoy any SQ benefit. I bought the Marantz SR7007 (at a good price) and might add a Vincent power amp down the track...