Planning to get a used Yamaha RX-V3900 - is it worth while?

As of late, I can no longer rely on my UMC-1 to be as reliable, so am looking for a alternative.

Rather than spend so much for a new one from the shops, I am contemplating on getting a used Yamaha RX-V3900 off Ebay. If i can get for under $500 and considering how old it is, would that be a good option. If I recall correctly years ago this particular amp retailed for almost 3k back when it was released.

• 2 weeks later...

As of late, I can no longer rely on my UMC-1 to be as reliable, so am looking for a alternative.

Rather than spend so much for a new one from the shops, I am contemplating on getting a used Yamaha RX-V3900 off Ebay. If i can get for under $500 and considering how old it is, would that be a good option. If I recall correctly years ago this particular amp retailed for almost 3k back when it was released.

TL what umc-1 issues do you have? I seem to be facing channels not being recognised when calibrating and all speaker connections seem fine...anything similar?

Have an RXV-1800 which , touch wood , has performed flawlessly since we got it.

I believe the 3800 and 3900 were sonically better again if used as an all in one AVR.

Apparetnly the 1800 and 1900 have the same front end and so sound just as good as the more expensive models if external power amps are used.

Edited by Ozcall

I have the 1900 and it is excellent. Swapped it out for the Z7 a few months ago and although more detailed with more functions the 1900 had a warmer touch which I loved so tossing up whether to go back?

I use the Yamaha as a Pre amp though with the Elektra HD as my power amp.

I know Chopsus over at the DTV forums has a 3800 for sale. This is in his SIG-

Yamaha RXV3800 Receiver (used as a pre/pro for above for 18 months) - considering offers around $500

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those models just dont go the previous version of 1700? as the black levels did not pass pludge (my brother has one so I tested to confirm)

Have one, very happy with it. More power than I need, does just about everything.  I paid $1500 4 years ago, so the price is right if nothing wrong with it.  

Have mine hooked up to 7.1, find that the amp often does a better job than original sound tracks for movies etc.