Anthem MCA30 and Anthem PVA7 and Parasound A31 Power Amplifiers

Hi everyone.  In need of some advice.  Set up of a new home theatre and two channel stereo. Looking at best of both.  Have been recommended Anthem.  Proposed amps are the three channel Anthem MCA30  for the fronts.  Anthem PVA7 for the rest. Alternative is the Parasound A31 three channel for the fronts. Any thoughts?  Also been recommended to run the Integra DTR60.5  Receiver but feel the receive is being wasted.  Has anyone had experience with Anthem or Parasound?  Running Focal 826v fronts and matching centre 800cv. Really stuck and confused.  Wanting enough power for these with room for new speakers in the future.  

I run a parasound a21. Very nice amp well detailed with a wounderful mid range which just shines on vocals. They are not overipe in the top end so should mate well with the focals

I looked at the Anthems as I have an MRX 300 running center and surrounds, didn't get to audition one as the circuit design if the parasound won me over

Edited by mpearce38

Hi,,, So what is the benefit of the Parasound over the Anthem....? I believe the power on either is sufficient to run the Focals. 250w(Para) vs 225w(Anthem - 180w actual power)....Tha Parasound is Double the price of the Anthem MCA30...So trying to figure out ifs worth the extra, or spend the extra $2000 on the Pre Amp...Any Preamp recommendations...Im kinda not satisfied with my Integra 60.5 DTR ( Which is a reciever ), but the Preamp Integra Only does not have the 4k Passthrough i was wanting.....Hence why ive had to settle for the 60.5 DTR from Integra.....  Will i notice a difference with the Parasound over the Anthem Amp?  Also does everyone agree, that its best to have the Front Three Speakers Running the Exact Same Amount of Amp power?  Hence why the Three channel amp is a good choice.......Any know of any second hand HALO amps,,,,,How about the Parasound Classic Range of Amplifiers,,,would anyone recommend them>? 

wow, thats alot of question, just had a good strong coffee?  :)

parasound and anthem are different company, so expect differences in sound. Parasound is famous because of John Curl, as for Anthem, they have been in business for a long time.

there's no way to tell the difference without testing it in your system. However, having separate Pre and Power usually leads to positive result.

what matters is that what does your speakers need? if it goes to low impedance (lower than the prescribed on the AV Pro / Amps, then it wont be happy to drive it).

i dont know much about processor, but the more expensive they are, the more features they have, so im not sure if it improves the sound. 

hope that helps :)

Hi Mpearce . That's my problem.  It's for movies but also for music. I'm gonna have to say 50-50. So trying to get my amps right.  Content on getting two or three amps or even a receiver for movies of need be.  But am truly stuck.  Do not have no where to trial these power amps.  What are your recommendations?  The a31 seems to be priced pretty high.  $4150. I'm not sure what the anthems are like either.  Would the Mca30 be great for music as well as movies?  Is a three channel amp a good way to go or not?  

In a past life...I used a Parasound C2 with a Parasound A51. I know the C2 is a bit long in the tooth now but that combo was superb and easily surpassed any receiver I've had the pleasure in owning or hearing.

I'd definitely look for a nice 5-7 channel amplifier pre and mate it with a newer processor that has the new codecs. The Marantz AV 7701 and Parasound A51 would be a lovely combination. You could always keep hold of your receiver and do a gradual upgrade as funds permit. Also, 2nd hand will get you a better quality sound for the same $

In a past life...I used a Parasound C2 with a Parasound A51. I know the C2 is a bit long in the tooth now but that combo was superb and easily surpassed any receiver I've had the pleasure in owning or hearing....

I owned a Halo C2, it was very good, they still are. They've been selling at sub $1k price point on eBay in the US, if you can find one here well worth consideration.

I owned a Halo C2, it was very good, they still are. They've been selling at sub $1k price point on eBay in the US, if you can find one here well worth consideration.

Well worth a try for that price. I still have found memories of that unit. Unfortunately I'm back to using a receiver these days, as my pursuit of 2 channel meant I ended up with a dedicated valve preamp. It's always about compromises but if my main priority was HT, my set up would be a lot different to what I have now....

OK not usually one to suggest something outside what your. Looking at but have you lookd at the arcam av600. Has a great rep for being a musical av receiver and comparable to a modest pre pro setup

Hi Pearce....Considering the Arcam....But the Integra DTR60.5 Seems to have heaps more features...>What are the Integras like for Music and Movies?  I hear great for Movies...But have had no

comments about Music?

not sure why wouldnt consider something like the excellent local product than the elektra theatre 7. can usually pick up cheap second hand if not even new you'll buy at a fraction of imported product. and the elektra is a top line product with excellent design and sound with both massive power reserve coupled with dynamics and detail with ht theatre. many use it to drive mains in 2ch systems as well given excellent musical and refined nature to its sound :)

Hi Perth Hifi if budget is tight I would recommend the following as this is what I'm doing

1) Purchase a 2 channel amp, I highly recommend the Parasound A21 off course I'm biased as I own one but it is very musical and has great charater in the mid range, The Anthem is also a great amp but parasound circuit design is very good and I've never seen a bad review or unhappy owner, They are seldom availbale on 2nd hand market which is a good sign, You can find them in USA for good prices but they are heavy to ship and voltage conversion will need to be performed which is not too difficult as only change in fuses and internal connectors. But there is a huge amount of choice for under 3K

2) Use your integra to run the centre and surronds these are not critical for music and you should be able to balance the sound for movies to get an acceptable result for the short term

3) By a nice preamp with HT Bypass, and run your stereo music sources via the preamp and use HT bypass mode when watching movies

4) Later on when you have more $$ by a 3 channel or even 5 channel amp (if you want 7.1) run the fronts off the two channel and centre and surrounds off the 2nd amp

This way when listening to 2 channel you have a nice clean path which removes the AVR out of the signal chain and you will be minimising your carbon foot print as only 2 channel amp, preamp and source need be on. And for movies you will have a very nice system with heaps of power.

Edited by mpearce38
  • Like 2

Mpearce. Thank you so much for that post. Makes heaps of sense what your saying. Best post I've read so far. Need to throw a idea in the idea based on your comments. How would running the A31 Parasound 3x250 work if I used that for the front three channels in home theatre and also for only two channel music? Is the A31 just as good as the A21? Any downsides? Also would the 125w version be enough power or is the 250w a better way to go? Ive been told that a quality amp that produce a true 100w is really all that one needs. My room is only 5.60m long x 4.50m wide x 3.00m high. Plus I'll be running duel sub woofers sealed for the low end. Either Svs Sb23 ultras or the jl audio E112's soon to be released.

The A31 is pretty much double the price of the Anthem MCA30?

Also how do the Parasound Classic Series compare? Can source the 250w x 2 Classic for about $1700-1800each.

I could run the integra dt60.5 receiver in built amp but thinking to just get all the amps I need now rather than later. Am I wasting money getting a receiver? Are the electronics inside a receiver the same quality as a separate pre amp model? Based on if I didn't run the internal amps?

Thou I'm even thinking to go away from integra and look at something else. I wanted the integra dhc80.3 but it does not have 4k pass through only upscale. So not sure if the pass through can be done any other way?

For the price differential between the A21 and A31, I would get the A31. For movie, the centre channel is important.

I would then use the Integra to run the surrounds.

If music is important, then as mpearce suggested, get a good preamp with bypass. I should know...I bought a gd preamp off him and running it off with Parasound now!

thanks,

I had an A52 which is the 120watt version a great amp but I definitely noticed the increased headroom stepping up to the A21. This was on fairly inefficient stand mounts (usher BE718) my room is small 3.6W X 4.5L X 2.5H. Your focals are fairly efficient but you will find greater control of bass and midrange with more power, at least i did. If you like to listen loud I'd just get the large one otherwise you will always be wondering. Parasound classic series is OK but use a different amp topology. Basically the Halo line is class A/AB the first 20watts or so is pure class A which is what gives it the warmth and musicalness. the AB is them used to produce the high current. There are other john curl design goodies in the Halo range as well which puts them a class above the Classics. check out You tube there is a good video on the A21 internals

A31 (and A52) is just as good as A21 as the amp modules are identical they just cram more into each chassis so less space for airflow and more heat they upgrade the transformer to deliver the extra current need to drive more channels I believe. The Parasound line don't have fans so get hot and need good ventilation for their massive heat sinks. 

With the A31 you will be running 3 channels even if only listing to two so would create more heat and use more energy hence would be better to run Centre and Surround off the 3 channel and leave the stereo amp for your fronts only, you could also use a A31 for starters then by an A21 down the track.

Now onto the AV processor. for some strange reason a processors only seems to cost more then a AVR. So a lot of people just use the AVR and bypass the amp functions. nothing really wrong with this but you will be powering the internal amps for no reason. This may not bother you? just depends how much you want to spend on your elec bill. 

Sorry I'm not big on the video side so not sure on the advantage of 4K passthrough.

Edited by mpearce38

For the price differential between the A21 and A31, I would get the A31. For movie, the centre channel is important.

I would then use the Integra to run the surrounds.

If music is important, then as mpearce suggested, get a good preamp with bypass. I should know...I bought a gd preamp off him and running it off with Parasound now!

Ahh i miss that preamp - PS sorry still have the receipt on my desk just been crazy lately with the 2nd one, BTW I think you have my Old A52 as well! did you buy it off juddy? If you do it's a good one The guy from TSE gave it the good once over he told me!

Yup, I got it off Juddy. So you were the previous owner! How interesting that I actually got both preamp and power amp off you, one way or another! Whats the chance of me getting the A21 off you? Haha. Did you get the one with a black face plate?

Yes, the amp is in great condition! If not for the box, it could have pass off as a new one.

PS : The invoice is fine. As I said, a scanned copy would be good enough for me.

Thanks again. Ok ive never had a pre amp. So please enlighten me. What do you mean? If I get the integra DTR60.5 Receiver? Can this work as a pre amp if I bypass the amp??? Or theres the Integra DHC60.5 which is a controller, is this a pre amp? Then there was the stereo preamp suggestion? These often have stereo amps built in, so in lost. If I get a preamp does that mean it not have any processors for surrounds sound for movies? Or can a pre amp be a receiver? So even if I don't run the amps inside the receiver it will still be pulling power?

I've been looking at Nuforce? Any comments on this brand of amps, and preamps?

Also another spanner in the mix. Is running a Thor Ps10 power conditioner a waste of money. I've been told that is needed by some but strongly told by others that it can really mess the sound up and to not use one.

Thanks in Advance