Marc

Spotify StereoNET Collaborative Playlist

I recently got an automated list from spotify called tastebreakers, supposedly different to what it perceives as my taste. Well i was shocked to find I didnt know most of it and I really liked most of it. The level of fidelity is irrelevant as I can play those newly discovered albums on Tidal or go and buy them. Awesome job spotify!!

I use Spotify Premium for "critical listening".

It's better than vinyl. :fear:

Useful perspectives from the net

The psychology behind why people do what they do varies person-to-person. It is interesting to try to understand why people become highly judgmental of or belittle other people so often.
1.    I believe that people who enjoy judging people suffer from a crucial lack of self-love and self-esteem. They tend to be their worst critic. And maybe simply judging others would somehow blunt the trauma they inflict upon themselves by constantly pitting themselves against other people.
2.    Then there are those who are merely protecting themselves from the world by criticizing others first before being criticized. They suffer from extremely low self-esteem issues and find it extremely difficult to not play defense and offence against the world because they believe the world is out to get them. They are the victims of their life story, not the hero/heroine.
3.    The third kind of judgmental people I witness are those who are not consciously aware of the way society has hegemonized them to believe what is normal and accepted, and what is “vulgar” and/or taboo. They follow the set norms and criticize and belittle anyone who doesn’t conform to the society. For example, I have been told to “not live in the society” just because I supported a certain LGBT personality’s choice to not shave, and wear makeup the way they choose to. These people will eventually judge you if you follow normalized regressive norms, and judge you if you don’t. Personally, I suggest doing the latter! ;)
4.    And last but not the least, there are some who genuinely believe they are, as they would describe themselves, *flawless*. They supposedly own a high horse and refuse to get down of its back. Such people are famously referred to as narcissistic, Judge Judy and some curse words I’ll refrain from mentioning! My personal favourite word for them is ‘toxic trash’, and initially I aim to find them and reason with them. If that fails, then I kick their derriere goodbye!

Excellent. I will check that out.

I’ve just added a track Whatever comes to mind by MorMor. No idea where I found this track but I can’t stop playing it. Hope you enjoy. I’ll add a few others.

Just thinking about it would it be an idea to define acceptable genre to add to the playlist? Perhaps when it heads to 1000 it could be broken into Rock, Pop, Metal, Classical etc..?

I’ve just added some 50-60 tracks of different genres (user gidxg03). I’ve added some of my favourite Irish tracks (Rock etc not trad!) having grown up in Ireland these were some of my favourite tracks of the 80’s & 90’s. Hope you enjoy. 

Just been having a listen through. It's just mind boggling the amount of different, undiscovered music you can find. It's very exciting. I use Spotify as Marc and a few others have said. To discover and remember. I sometimes go to Tidal for a more serious listen, then buy. I've been listening through the Masters albums of late.

On 11/04/2019 at 3:20 PM, Satanica said:

I use Spotify Premium for "critical listening".

It's better than vinyl. :fear:

Generally you get strung up from the yardarm for a comment like that on an audiophile forum, I can hear the purists howling at the gate .. 🥴😬

23 hours ago, kiwilistener said:

Generally you get strung up from the yardarm for a comment like that on an audiophile forum, I can hear the purists howling at the gate .. 🥴😬

If you look carefully at the emoji, you will see a grin behind the mask ;)

On 02/11/2013 at 8:15 AM, ferchersan said:

Good morning all :)

I have just added a few tracks by Fela Kuti, Debo Band and Bombay Dub Orchestra. Who's up next?

Fela Kuti, ne of my all time faves! 

Guest Karl Rand
On 11/04/2019 at 1:44 PM, andythiing said:

Useful perspectives from the net

The psychology behind why people do what they do varies person-to-person. It is interesting to try to understand why people become highly judgmental of or belittle other people so often.
1.    I believe that people who enjoy judging people suffer from a crucial lack of self-love and self-esteem. They tend to be their worst critic. And maybe simply judging others would somehow blunt the trauma they inflict upon themselves by constantly pitting themselves against other people.
2.    Then there are those who are merely protecting themselves from the world by criticizing others first before being criticized. They suffer from extremely low self-esteem issues and find it extremely difficult to not play defense and offence against the world because they believe the world is out to get them. They are the victims of their life story, not the hero/heroine.
3.    The third kind of judgmental people I witness are those who are not consciously aware of the way society has hegemonized them to believe what is normal and accepted, and what is “vulgar” and/or taboo. They follow the set norms and criticize and belittle anyone who doesn’t conform to the society. For example, I have been told to “not live in the society” just because I supported a certain LGBT personality’s choice to not shave, and wear makeup the way they choose to. These people will eventually judge you if you follow normalized regressive norms, and judge you if you don’t. Personally, I suggest doing the latter! ;)
4.    And last but not the least, there are some who genuinely believe they are, as they would describe themselves, *flawless*. They supposedly own a high horse and refuse to get down of its back. Such people are famously referred to as narcissistic, Judge Judy and some curse words I’ll refrain from mentioning! My personal favourite word for them is ‘toxic trash’, and initially I aim to find them and reason with them. If that fails, then I kick their derriere goodbye!

Have you noticed web forums appear to attract large a high percentage of types 1,2,3 and 4?

Love this playlist, slowly getting through them all.  It would have been nice to know the "why" people have added the songs they did.

So glad I'm old & half deaf, Spotify sounds fine to me, someone needs to drop round & tell me what I've done wrong.

A few contributions from me - with the why lol :)

The HU & Tengger Cavalry

Recently discovered these guys - a blend of Mongolian throat singing & heavy? metal I reckon they pull it off well.

Blues Traveler

Just a great band to listen to. Not much to say really, maybe I shouldn't of added them.

DragonForce

Took a bit to get my head around this band. After the seventy twelfth time hearing my lad trying to get 100% for expert on Guitar Hero it was ingrained forever. Watching the drummer on Youtube vids gave me a greater appreciation as well.

Midge Ure - Hymn

Everyone knows the Ultravox song but this version just seems so much bigger, grander you might say. Gives me the feels when I hear it lol.

Sar Major & Don Estelle

You just don't hear voices like these two anymore. When Don starts singing, wow, what a smooth voice.

Camille & Kennerly

My "keep me sane" background music at work.

Steve 'n' Seagull's

Really?? ACDC from the south lol.

Keeps me amused at work while people try to tear the world down around me :)

On 28/10/2013 at 9:41 PM, Marc said:

Let's see if this works. I have created a playlist for StereoNET, that allows collaboration.

StereoNET Australia

We can all add artists and tracks to it for other to discover. Not sure if we have many Spotify users, but I find it and Pandora great ways to discover new music.

The reason there is less use of spotify is that it sounds awful. 

There is no excuse for anyone interested in sound to use this serice. 

It imediatly eliminates you from being an audio person. It probably why people praised the sound of Carlton Audio Visual's new rooms where the systems are set up so poorly. A member of that active staff commented to me "it sounds like "S***". You just cant hear the difference. Tidal is at least no compression, but the method people use to access it rubish,phones with inner ear headphones and even high res portables with ic headphone amps. Ooh what a way to listen to music. Headphones can be fun but they cannot replace decent audio equipment which still cannot get place to a real musical experience.

On 09/08/2019 at 7:09 PM, Guest Karl Rand said:

Have you noticed web forums appear to attract large a high percentage of types 1,2,3 and 4?

May i ask, what qualifications do you have with reguard to human psychology, as you appear to be making a rather large generalization with no evidence 

Provided. The scientific method would tend to frown on that.  Specific, demonstraitable & repeatable examples are really required.

On 24/08/2019 at 2:07 PM, Synodontis said:

Blues Traveller

Just a great band to listen to. Not much to say really, maybe I shouldn't of added them.

Aren't they just. Old mate's a wicked harmonica player and a really good singer.

This is a great idea! 
Just added a few tracks myself. 😊

This is an amazing idea. I know I’m late to this party...

ive added a couple song that Spotty has turned me on to.