Sign in to follow this  
Kundalini

Speaker bases / plinths (on a budget)

Hi

I've got a pair of 2nd hand Linn Espek floor-standers but alas the previous owner had lost the composite stone/resin plinth bases.

Consensus seems to be that using the heavy bases takes the Espeks' performance from being decent to brilliant.

Plus we have sprung wooden floors!

So I definitely want to install some kind of heavy base underneath the speakers.

Are any SNA members able to point me in the right direction of somewhere in Sydney I can source some granite to make plinths?

Doesn't have to be anything flash looking & I don't have a big budget - certainly not hundreds of dollars.

Approx dimensions 200mm x 350mm & about 40-50mm thick (or 2 x 20mm slabs glued together).

Alternatively I've heard that pavers do a passable job - any comments on this or other low-budget solutions?

Cheers

Kundalini

Hi

I have found that if you phone a few kitchen builders they often have a few 'off cuts' that are suitable, as they usually throw out piece that size as they are of no use to them ....

Cheers 

JJ

Don't use pavers with the Espeks and I would question the idea that simply adding mass to the plinths is a good idea.

I seem to remember that Linn used a stone loaded polymer bases in the 'upgrade' bases.

Search the Linn and Leonjonklu forums for good suggestions.

PS : I want your speakers :)

Thanks JJ.

Ozcall - I'm interested to hear more about your reservations about adding mass to the plinths - in what way/s might it be a bad idea?

Yes Linn used a stone loaded polymer bases (or as I wrote, "composite stone/resin") in the 'upgrade' bases.

As mentioned most forums & reviews I have read say that the speakers sound MUCH better with the plinths attached.

Alas I don't have the spare $$ for genuine Linn replacement plinths so am looking for a cost-effective (possibly even a DIY) solution.

What specifically do you suggest I search the Linn and Leonjonklu forums for? Do you mean for alternatives to genuine Linn plinths?

Cheers :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Doomguy
      I just bought myself a new receiver, a Marantz SR7500, for my vinyl setup. It doesn't have a phono stage like my Dad's old NAD I've been using until now, so I'm after an external one. My turntable is a Technics SL-BD20 though that will likely be upgraded in the coming months. FWIW I'm just listening with headphones for now, Sennheiser HD58X, speakers will come later down the line. 

Preferably I'd like something under 200 downundeh dollars, and preferably not an import. Ones I've found include;

Schiit Mani $269 free shipping Pro-ject Phono Box $180 + shipping Rega Phono Mini A2D $149 free shipping Pro-Ject Phono Box SE ii $200 used + shipping  
      The Schiit is a bit pricier than I'd really like but I've heard a lot of good things about it and it has by far the most information / impressions out there. Which do you think would be the best choice, is there something else I should consider? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    • By SGR Audio
      Item: Custom-built speaker stands
      Price: $799
      Item Condition: As new
      Payment Method: Cash, direct deposit, PayPal/CC (2.6% surcharge)
      Extra Info: A pair of custom-built speaker stands, suitable for the majority of book-shelf speakers. 100x100mm tube can be sand or garnet filled. Spikes included.
      Measurements:  Height: 550 mm, Width 270 mm

Located in Victoria,
      contact Stuart on (03) 9036 2751

Pictures:

• By lasseo
      Item: Vogel surround speaker stands for small speakers, a pair, grey
      Price: $35
      Item Condition: Used
      Reason for selling: No longer required
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD
      Extra Info: Comfortably holds something coke can or coke bottle size, but nothing heavyweight

Height 1070 mm, from ground to mounting hole 1055 mm
      Base plate 230 mm deep by 250 mm wide at front and 135 mm wide at the rear
      Upright column is two-part and the stand can be dismantled for easy transportation
      Some very light rust at the bottom of the base plate. Photos show both stands

Pick-up from VIC 3212 preferred, could possibly arrange a delivery to western suburbs of Melbourne.

Pictures:

• By ShubhamQuantumCabling
      Hey Guys,

So, I was just wondering what are the best projectors under $2000, I know there are a lot of reviews out there but I just wanted an honest opinion from someone who has actually bought a projector. 

Hope you guys could help me out.
    • By reflux075
      Item: Short Speaker Stand 
      Price: $40
      Item Condition: Good, marks here and there.
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal as friend
      Extra Info: Previous owner said it is filled with sand. Pickup only, would prefer pickup by this weekend. Can put spikes on, have to dig around and see if I have any.
      The important stuff:
      H 325mm
      Top plate 195mm X 195mm
      Bottom plate 295mm X 295mm

Pictures: