FS: ME 750 power amp, completely rebuilt, better than new

Item: ME750 power amp
Location: Adelaide. Will post nationally at cost, but it's heavy.
Price: EOI
Item Condition: Excellent, internally better than new, see below
Reason for selling: Downgrading - this is too much amp for me, I've changed to more sensitive speakers
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Bank Transfer
Extra Info: No marks or scratches externally except some slight polishing scuffs on the top, though you'd have to hold the amp up to the light to see them. If you can. :) Completely rebuild by Paul Fenwick, SA's only qualified ME repairs as recommended by Peter Stein. Bought second hand from a dealer who claimed it was fully serviced, he lied - I spent over half my asking price getting it restored in early 2012. I'll offer a six month warranty if you find any defect, as this amp is built like a tank. Note - you will hear the fan working once you switch it off into 'stand by' mode, as this is a cool down cycle. The fan is inaudible in use. This is not a defect.

Paul's build notes from our emails:

"In summary the ME750 has been completely rebuilt with new top quality electrolytic capacitors where needed and known trouble spots as well as mods to size and voltage ratings of many electrolytic capacitors as suggested by Peter. This has been performed on all boards in the amplifier including the control board which has also had new IC’s fitted as well as the caps. I have also installed copper shielding around the aux/secondary transformer (supplies voltage for IC’s only) as well as fitting new fan support foam. Repairs to the printed circuit board on one channel were performed and new driver transistors fitted (I see this often and have developed a fix for it that is both electrically and mechanically perfect). Repairs to flat multi core control cables were also undertaken. The ME750 has been running beautifully now for the last 24 hours continuously (soak test and measurements)and sounds stunning. I have just re-biased it yet again and DC offset is now zero as it should be (was 600mV on the left channel which I was not happy with and it turned out to be an intermittent resistor and out of spec zener diode killing the servo IC). New filter material has been fitted and it is filtering as it restricts the air flow just enough to raise the heat sink air temperature by 10-15 degrees C when in place and maintaining an average temp of 55 degrees C over 24 hours at varying volume levels. Time spent on this amp would run into 100’s of hours (21 hours were spent on disassembly of the entire amp and cleaning all the old sticky foam out of every nook and cranny and off the printed circuit boards and components)!"

And the nameless dealer I bought it from admits:

"The end result however, seems to be that you now have an amplifier with better than new performance and with a replacement value of probably $5500. So although this has been a drawn out exercise the end result is pretty good for your musical enjoyment."

Pictures:

Edited by tal