Sign in to follow this  
Chigurh

Should I upgrade?

Hello

I am thinking about upgrading my three year old Denon AVR-1910 with a Pioneer SC2022K as this AVR is heavily discounted at the moment. The main reason would be for the Pioneer's networking features an hopefully an improvement in the overall sound. It is for a 2.1 speaker setup only. I know I could just get a stereo amp but the unit would also be connected to a TV and multiple sources and I like the extras feature you get with an AVR, especially bass management.

Would the Pioneer sound noticeably better than the Denon? My main speakers are KEF Q300's and the sub is a KEF Q400b.

Any opinions appreciated.

I wouldnt upgrade a whole amp for networking features :)

even the cheapest of $100 media players will walk all over any networking ability built into any av amp. theres a multitude to pick from depending on need.

re the denon itself, its not too shabby a unit

http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/denon/0920/avr1910/avr1910.asp

seems pretty capable, and in the power stakes reasonable with a 460w consumption.

re the pioneer it appears to be discontinued which would explain its discounting, the giveaway for is that its max power consumption tops out at 290W indicating in power stakes its reserves are not quite what the denon has.

sound quality wise in charecter pioneer sound is different to the denon as well. also the denon utilises the more popular audyssey including dynamic eq and dynamic volume etc.

personally I would say the change from the denon is likely a side ways to a downward step.

you could instead consider moving up the denon tree. depends what looking for ofcourse but there are often upper model denons coming up for sale second hand that are a huge bargain. eg the 4311 that was on the forsale pages which would be a very clear step up from the 1910 not only in power but in processing  :)

Edited by :) al

Yeah thanks for the advice al. I think I got a bit excited seeing the Pioneer for so little cash ($792). The Denon does actually sound very good and it does have plenty of power too, easily enough to go much louder than I would ever need. My main source is a laptop running Windows 8 going through a pretty good DAC so the network features of the Pioneer would be very primitive by comparison. I'll just hang back until I find something which will be a significant upgrade in sound quality.

Don't have to read thread to answer a rhetorical question

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD

Ok got over excited

Read thread now

I don't have any experience in audio VISUAL and the feline has lots but

Generically/manufacturer wise a Denon will out class Pioneer

Generically/manufacturer wise a Denon will out class Pioneer

Well maybe, but that is a sweeping statement. I have had a couple of Denon's in the past that were real lemons. I have never owned a Pioneer. I am also considering a NAD T757 - no network capability but maybe an upgrade sonically compared to the Denon?

could be an upgrade sonically. weighs 1.5 times the denon and most of that weight in the nad is the power supply. much more honestly rated than either the denon or pio. sonically nad is a departure from denon. its warmer, rolled off top end ever so slightly but yet with a lot of slam. there were a couple of models of the 757 a v1 and  v2. not sure of specific difference. also some nad models have moved on to 8s in model line so this one could be getting replaced. can tend to find them reduced and on sale making them good buying. unlike the denons, nads had some gremlins in the hdmi etc initialy but would expect them pretty well sorted now. regardless would ask whom ever buying from if find it buggy in use that it can go back.    re network capability honestly grab a little media player, wd live and such. will never look back. theyre only $100 or so, and new ones keep coming out all the time. best to keep that separate to the avr so dont have to rely or be limited in what they have in capability when comes to network stuff.