Job 225 Amplifiers Owners & Discussion Thread

I dont believe ZB will do that even though he has his reasons, but they are technically sound reasons pointing out the fact that this amp is built to a price point.

On to ZBs questioning,

for a company that is considered a closed organisation with only an email address for ordering, and leaves no other contact details, one does question your motives especially when one receives aPM that basically ask not to advertised the fact that they are hard to contact and then provide a geographic address.  You also seem to have intimate knowledge on the inside by naming the Chief Financial Officer and also the name of the person that handles the order of this particular product. You also claim to live only 5 minutes from the company!

To be honest, I have never encountered such praise by word of mouth on a product that you have never heard or audition.  You are basically praising what others are saying without auditioning.

So i do believe ZB and myself have  the right to be suspicious of your motives on this thread.

So now you are revealing PM in open posts? Totally uncool! I do live 5 mins away (Grand Lancy to Plan-lesOuates...look it up) and as I said, There is at least one member here who has called me personally while on Holiday in the UK, Graeme!

Goldmund has their own website, but if they wish to keep contact with JOB light and cheap (they have limited personnel), that is their prerogative and I will respect that. Perhaps they dont want their high-brow customers to know that they are slumming and providing value plays to the common man.. You guys are trying to act as if they are shady, but I have actually seen their setup and they are more than legit. I have biotech colleagues from my former company working in the same office complex and they are VERY close to the Rolex and Piaget HQs...again, look it up with google. That is how I found them!

Of course I have some knowledge...I have been there! I met these people. Why, because my fellow audiophiles and I were interested to find out about them. Now you come across as if this is somehow nefarious. Sorry, but TOTALLY uncool again!

Now I have posted the links to my GTG with the owner of Dartzeel: http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/09/08/more-delectable-than-swiss-chocolate-is-swiss-audio-or-another-visit-with-dartzeels-herve-deletraz/  so you explain to me how you could possibly doubt that I live in Geneva!!!

Make up your minds guys, do I work for Chord, Ifi, Lampizator or Goldmund? You crack me up!

I have made no secret of the fact that I have not heard the amp yet, but the feedback so far has been overwhelmingly positive and more keeps rolling in daily from the US guys, who I can call to discuss about the amp in detail. Scot from PTA site just got one and by tomorrow, I will get his first impressions. It is a very interesting amp that in no way should be bashed the way it has been here. I see spoiled brat behavior in free reign here. Hype is only bad when the performance is not there. Good things DESERVE the hype. Doubt yeah, discretion yah, cynicism...banish that! Careful you guys dont become curmudgeons before your time. LoL

OH BTW, isn't it bed time...awfully late for you!

Edited by wis97non
  • Like 1

Another point estimate:

Part-Time Audiophile Out of the box? Much higher level of fit and finish than I would have expected. Sound quality is also something of a surprise. Very rich, full, with completely satisfying extension. That's all I've got so far, but it's been driving my Magnepan 3.7s to thunderous levels since this morning and it's only barely warm to the touch. Looking very much like a keeper.

Hmmmm?

• Like 1

The hyperbole is scaring me already - I think a lot of amps ought to be shaking in their cases. Watch out Macintosh - move over Arion - there's a new kid in town that's going to make you all look so five minutes ago.

AJ

Are you still on morphine :P :lol: :nana

I couldn't help myself. Actually this thread cracks me up a bit - I don't understand the frenzy. There is nothing wrong with forming an opinion on how something is likely to perform based on others who's ears you trust - happens here with dacs & amps all the time. I have no opinion on this particular amp as I know diddly squat about it - but my interest is piqued now and I will actively follow real world feedback to see if this is something worth looking at in the future.

In the meantime - I have to say the company has had a great marketing run - plenty of hype - a strong sense of unobtainability which gives new owners exclusivity. They must be high fiving themselves.

• Like 1

What do you think about trial/return periods for these online/unheard purchases Zaph?  That is the new business model that some of these manufacturers have engaged...seems to keep down the overheads with the purchaser able to make a decision about the purchase in their own home with a relatively small hit if they find the product not suitable.  For instance, I recently got a dac over from Europe that is not available anywhere but directly from the manufacturer.  This thing had a good review under its belt (along with other virtues) and came with a 90 day trial.  If I had chosen to return it I would have been out less than 10% of the purchase price, which in the scheme of things is a pretty good deal.  90 days gave me plenty of time to trial other products head to head and really make up my mind...I don't think you can get better than that. 

Anthony

EDIT:  I have read a discussion on another forum where the manufacturer of this dac indicated that it's price would need to TRIPLE if he started distributing them through an international retail network.  This makes the whole business model look pretty good for the consumer, even if we have to share a bit of the risk with the vendor.

EDIT2:  Just had a look at the JOB website...looks like about a 30% hit if it is returned and only a 10 day trial.  Not great terms.

Let's say the Phasure costs $7K, so 10% is $700. You said the import duty is the 10% and shipping is another $200. So to return the Dac would it set you back $700 or $900? Doesn't matter too much because when compared to the JOB, the return shipping is say $200 and the restock fee is $340... so in total its significantly less of the Phasure. I dont see a mention of a restock fee for Phasure, so I assume none. Job claims the pay the import fees, so the 20% is just about covering their OOP expenses, no?. Am I missing something?

Edited by wis97non

Indeed.

Just by way of comparison, I was recently offered a home trial of a component on a sale or return basis, with no obligation to buy and the only cost to me was for return shipping if I did not wish to proceed.

This was from a bricks and mortar retailer in another state . That is good customer service.

What are the middlemen margins involved?

I have a local dealer pal and they are seeking like 40% discount to retail.  With those margins, a lot is possible.

You can claim the GST back.  To make it easier, ensure you have the commercial invoice, tracking number and the customs entry details when you paid the GST from the courier be it FedEx /DHL etc.  When you send it back you need to refer to this paperwork.

Yes, the 10 days does not really work for Australia at the other end of the world.  I am sure if you asked for 10 days from receipt of amp that would be fine.

Its by Fedex tracked delivery, so should take like 4 days max and timing starts at delivery, I think.

The US guys had confirmation of Friday sending and Monday delivery...Joe got his on Friday or Saturday.

Edited by wis97non

Let's say the Phasure costs $7K, so 10% is $700. You said the import duty is the 10% and shipping is another $200. So to return the Dac would it set you back $700 or $900? Doesn't matter too much because when compared to the JOB, the return shipping is say $200 and the restock fee is $340... so in total its significantly less of the Phasure. I dont see a mention of a restock fee for Phasure, so I assume none. Job claims the pay the import fees, so the 20% is just about covering their OOP expenses, no?. Am I missing something?

The Phasure was AU$5.7k landed with a 90 day trial.  Restocking would have been AU$140  and return postage AU$200+ round that total to AU$350 = 6%.  I could claim back the GST I paid at import so that is not important.

The Job225 would be about AU$1850 with a 10 day trial.  Restocking would have been AU$370 and return postage AU$200+ so a AU$570 cost to return = 30%.  I could claim back the GST from import so that is not important.  It is obvious the returns policy here is designed so that the amps are not returned.

Wis, I am not knocking the general gist of the JOB sales model...I just think that the JOB returns policy could be a little more flexible, but that is up to them.  I think that Peters model is so flexible because he has only ever had one dac returned and does not really need to build the cost of returns into the purchase price.  He is extremely easy to contact and very responsive to emails and does what needs to be done to get the product to work for the customer because compared to the JOB the Phasure is a complicated product.

Cheers,

Anthony

Why are YOU here, to DEMOTE Job and Lampizator?

I'm here for a bunch of reasons. One of them is to expose cons. Another is to learn. I've never said anything bad about either Lampizator, nor Job, since I've not heard/examined either product.

Dont forget Chord and iFi Audio, I must work for them too as I have plenty of posts here speaking of their virtues.

I am here to keep you on the straight and narrow and grounded to reality! LoL

Since you have not heard a Job amplifier, you are just making noise.

I am here to lift your spirit out of the quagmire of cynicism and rigidity. Good things are still being made.

I am well aware of that. I am also aware that people are still being conned out of their money.

Relax and enjoy. You will like some better than others, but dont deny others their harmless pleasures. Uplift, dont depress. It is not that serious.

$1,700.00 IS serious (money). For many people, it represents a very significant chunk of their budget.

• Like 1

Its by Fedex tracked delivery, so should take like 4 days max and timing starts at delivery, I think.

The US guys had confirmation of Friday sending and Monday delivery...Joe got his on Friday or Saturday.

Confirmed on Friday and received Monday, yesterday. They ship overnight via FedEx. I love my amp. Nothing more. It puts to shame more expensive amps.

Edited by joeinid
  • Like 1

Hi,

I have TAD CR-1's, Sonus Faber Evolutions, Revel Studio2's and Klipsch Cornwall III's. I have tried all but the Cornwalls. I need to unbox them but will try it at some pount. I have an EAR 868 preamp, Conrad Johnson GAT and Dartzeel 18NS preamp along with the Dartzeel 108 amp and CJ ART Monos.

Joe,

what's your equipement used with the Job 225?

thanks

Absolutely awesome. I don't crank the music beyond what the amp is capable but I really like this amp. Is it the last word in tone and power, no. But it actually does compete with the best. You can get 70-80% of the performance for 10% of the retail price.

The Job will replace my solid state amps but not my tube amps. Will I have other SS amps in the future? Possibly. I may repurchase the Dagostino Momentum but probably not others.

Joe,

how does the Revel's sound with the Jobs?

Edited by joeinid

Absolutely awesome. I don't crank the music beyond what the amp is capable but I really like this amp. Is it the last word in tone and power, no. But it actually does compete with the best. You can get 70-80% of the performance for 10% of the retail price.

The Job will replace my solid state amps but not my tube amps. Will I have other SS amps in the future? I may repurchase the Dagostino Momentum but probably not others.

Which US$17,000.00 amps have you compared the Job to?

What speakers were used?

Blind test, or sighted?

I've had a Burmester 911mk3 stereo and  I've had Burmester 911mk3 factory monos in addition to the above mentioned gear. All sighted listening. Let's not get crazy here. The amp competes very well. Will the job kill them? no. But it gives us music lovers a taste of the high end for a song.

• Like 1

• Volunteer

I suggest we set up an SNA spending committee.

Anyone wanting to spend any money on gear must provide documentary evidence that

a) They have auditioned the equipment

b  ) they have not read anyone elses's opinion about it online 

c) they intend to purchase it from a local bricks and mortar store

d) they are fiully conversant with the item's technical specs

Otherwise the spend will be disallowed

all in favour say "aye!"

Edited by Zingmore
  • Like 3

I've had a Burmester 911mk3 stereo and  I've had Burmester 911mk3 factory monos in addition to the above mentioned gear. All sighted listening. Let's not get crazy here. The amp competes very well. Will the job kill them? no. But it gives us music lovers a taste of the high end for a song.

yeh but for the fraction of the price and sound competes with various high end amplifiers. i just a a steal or too good to be true. but $1700 isnt too much to ask really.

Which is precisely what I'd expect from dozens of decently designed $1,700.00 amplifiers. As those of us who have been around this business know full well, the law of diminishing returns sets in rapidly. To obtain significantly better sound than a (say) $1,500.00 amplifier, one needs to spend a great deal of money.

The Phasure was AU$5.7k landed with a 90 day trial.  Restocking would have been AU$140  and return postage AU$200+ round that total to AU$350 = 6%.  I could claim back the GST I paid at import so that is not important.

The Job225 would be about AU$1850 with a 10 day trial.  Restocking would have been AU$370 and return postage AU$200+ so a AU$570 cost to return = 30%.  I could claim back the GST from import so that is not important.  It is obvious the returns policy here is designed so that the amps are not returned.

Wis, I am not knocking the general gist of the JOB sales model...I just think that the JOB returns policy could be a little more flexible, but that is up to them.  I think that Peters model is so flexible because he has only ever had one dac returned and does not really need to build the cost of returns into the purchase price.  He is extremely easy to contact and very responsive to emails and does what needs to be done to get the product to work for the customer because compared to the JOB the Phasure is a complicated product.

Cheers,

Anthony

I hear you. The only difference is that there is no GST to reclaim for the JOB as its already included. The cost of return is a FIXED shipping charge and would apply to a bulky $50 item too, so percentage is NOT a fair comparison. Raw dollars is the right comparison and there is less $$$ risk with the Phasure. I concede that. I dont think that JOB designed their policy to prevent returns, I think they want to protect out of pocket exposure for a low margin product.

I dont expect any returns on the 225 either, especially as its less haircut to on-sell locally.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown though.

Which is precisely what I'd expect from dozens of decently designed $1,700.00 amplifiers. As those of us who have been around this business know full well, the law of diminishing returns sets in rapidly. To obtain significantly better sound than a (say) $1,500.00 amplifier, one needs to spend a great deal of money.

But this is what I said 2 pages ago, a quality high-end entry amp and you took issue with that!

But this is what I said 2 pages ago, a quality high-end entry amp and you took issue with that!

No. I took issue with your claim that it was a "high end" amplifier and that you have never heard it, nor compared it to any other competitive products on the same system. THAT is what I took and still take issue with.

You have no idea how good, or bad the Job amplifier is.

May I ask how one gets to audition one of these much vaunted ME amplifiers?

Ask around. There's lots in Victoria. I see you have Aleph monos. To be a fair comparison, you should restrict auditioning to ME850 amps and above. Anything less is likely to disappoint. The Aleph 2 was a very decent amp, with a rather seductive midrange capability. The ME850 should come close in that area and beat the pants off it in the bass.

• Like 1