Keith_W

Classical currently spinning thread

Catostylus asked for some classical SACD recommendations. Here they are:

2181.jpg

Schubert Lieder: Elly Ameling / Dalton Baldwin

This is a DSD remaster of an old analogue recording. Ameling has a light, girlish voice but not as deeply serious as some other interpreters (Schwarzkopf, Baker). She sings with a slight Swedish accent but if you are not a German speaker you won't notice. Sound quality is very good.

3598.jpg

Beethoven Symphony No. 7: Carlos Kleiber / Bavarian State Orchestra

Another DSD remaster of an analogue recording from 1982. The market is crowded with good recordings of Beethoven 7's, but this one should definitely be in your collection. You won't find a more exhilarating performance anywhere else. The finale is taken at breakneck speed, but Kleiber manages to hold the orchestra together. In fact the precision of the playing is quite remarkable - never one bit of slop. This is a live recording but audience noise is quite low. Sound quality is also very good.

816.jpg

Handel Music for The Royal Fireworks: Pearlman / Boston Baroque

Yes, it's on Telarc - which means first rate digital recordings. The sound quality on this disc will not let you down. This is a very "American" interpretation of Handel's music - which means a lot of musical fireworks, great dynamics, and a certain freshness that is sometimes lacking in European performances. The American approach to music making does not work in some other pieces, but it definitely works here.

30513051.jpg

Shostakovich Symphonies: Dmitri Kitajenko / various

I bought my first Kitajenko disc on a whim, and my experience with it made me buy this set. You don't have to buy the set, the discs are available individually. Kitajenko is at times overwhelming, he makes his music with tremendous heft. Crescendos and fortissimos are simply crushing. The sound quality of these discs is outstanding - about as good as you will ever hear.

Anyway, can recommend more - just state your genre of music and i'll see if I can accomodate :eek:

She sings with a slight Swedish accent

Can't think why she would, she's Dutch.

30513051.jpg

Shostakovich Symphonies: Dmitri Kitajenko / various

I bought my first Kitajenko disc on a whim, and my experience with it made me buy this set. You don't have to buy the set, the discs are available individually. Kitajenko is at times overwhelming, he makes his music with tremendous heft. Crescendos and fortissimos are simply crushing. The sound quality of these discs is outstanding - about as good as you will ever hear.

I have been thinking about a Shostakovich cycle for some time - from the reviews this could just be the one.

Anyway, can recommend more - just state your genre of music and i'll see if I can accomodate :eek:

Oh - just about anything from Monteverdi to Schoenberg with a particular fondness for anything by Bach. I'd love to see any more recommendations you can make.

Davidsss, for Bruckner - try Bruno Walter or Jascha Horenstein. Unfortunately both are hard to find.

Could I add Jochum - available in a budget boxed set from DG.

Oops, so Elly Ameling is Dutch :eek: That's what happens when you don't read the liner notes!

For Bach I have a strong preference for modern instruments. Unfortunately this means that all my favourite recordings are from the 1960's and 1970's, before the period instrument movement took over. This means that SACD's of this type are few and far between.

However, I can recommend:

2728.jpg

Bach Brandenburg Concertos: Karl Richter / Munich Bach Orchesra - 1-3 and 4-6.

The sound quality is very good but not up to what you can get on modern RBCD. I do not have the RBCD version of these recordings so I can not tell you if the SACD is superior. I am a fan of Karl Richter. These are very much German sounding performances - a more serious performance of the Brandenburgs than what you may expect. Clarity is a typical Richter attribute and you can always hear what the musicians are doing.

2966rev1.jpg

Bach Violin Sonatas: Julia Fischer

Recording is absolutely first rate. This is the finest sounding recording of a violin solo that I own. Fischer is an outstanding violinist but her reading is a little bit lightweight compared to Henryk Szeryng's. But Szeryng's sound is very 1960's. Young Fischer has a much more modern sound.

Hyperion recording of Monteverdi Vespers and, by the same guys, The Coronation of King George II

Love musical event reconstructions. Playing today was the Coronation of the First Elizabeth a Griffin cd GCCD 4032. Also a beautiful reconstruction is A Venetian Coronation 1595 (for the Doge of Venice) Virgin Classics.

The Griffin cd is a demo quality disc with beautiful music.

Kevin

Right at the moment I am listening to:

Jacqueline du Pre A Lasting Inspiration

Tis only my second hearing of it but all seems good now. Nice recording and selection of her work.

That is a gorgeous disc, 4HS and highly recommended ;) She is way intense and some of the tracks will make at least this grown man cry.

That is a gorgeous disc, 4HS and highly recommended ;) She is way intense and some of the tracks will make at least this grown man cry.

Thanks Keith.

It's a double disc. Got it in my local shop for $10. Can't go wrong.

I haven't had to get the tissues out yet but I am also doing some work at the same time so not giving it my full attention (or my work for that matter).

Davidsss, for Bruckner - try Bruno Walter or Jascha Horenstein. Unfortunately both are hard to find.

Keith,

I see that RCA have released THE GUNTER WAND COMMEMORATIVE EDITION, VOL. 1 Symphony No. 9 This is 5 versions of Bruckner's 9th with Cologne Radio Symphony Orchestra; North German Radio Symphony Orchestra; Berlin Philharmonic.

Might be a little bit of overkill but I know you're a fan

Not quite currently spinning, but I've just come back from the dress rehearsal of Jerome Robbins ballet at the Opera house. Fair performance overall, but wanted to mention that I thought the "suite of dances" was brilliant.

Extracts from Bach's cello suites played by a solo cellist with a solo dancer. Very nicely choreographed and an exceptional dance performance - For those who love the cello suites (I have 3 different versions by Isserlis, Rostropovich, and Fournier) and ballet, I highly recommend this. Also, the final (main) act "the concert" was a hugely enjoyable blast ;)

AB

Last night I put on Bernard Haitink's 1979 recording of Jeux with the Concertgebouw Orch, what a joy. Good recording too. The soft cymbals, bells and snare at the very back of the orchestra are so magical, and as for the rest of the orch, just wonderful. So good I don't want to listen to it too much in case I get used to it.

For 56oval - the disc that we were listening to today was this one - Elisabeth Schwarzkopf / Gerald Moore - Songs you love.

[ATTACH]2076[/ATTACH]

EMI 356 5262

I do love this disc because of the intimacy of the singing. When most singers hit high notes, they need to pump a lot of air through their vocal chords. Try it yourself - what happens is that the voice becomes loud and hard. That is the sign of an inadequate singer! (Opera singers are excluded, by necessity they need to pump a lot of air through their vocal chords to fill an opera hall). As a lieder singer, Schwarzkopf has a unique ability to hit very high notes with uncanny accuracy and still sound soft and tender. Not to mention her perfect diction, the expressiveness of her voice, and the intellectual reading of the poems which form the basis of the songs.

Gerald Moore plays the piano accompaniment, and plays it in a clearly old fashioned 1950's style. Still, Moore knows how to paint pictures with his piano. Witness the variation in playing style in track 9, Deutsches Volkslieder ("A German Folk Song") where a country bumpkin sings to his love on a cold wintry night. But it is no ordinary love song! She tells him to sod off because it is late at night, he pleads that it is bloody cold out here, and she laughs at him because "if your love can not tolerate a bit of cold, it is of no use to me". She then slams the window shut and leaves him out in the street. You can hear all that in Moore's playing - the crass bumpkin, the tittering daintiness of the young lady, the bitterness of the cold wind.

A very enjoyable disc. Anyone who knows about lieder will recognize all the delicious songs on offer. Unfortunately I have to give the sound quality 3/5 - acceptable but not outstanding.

Bought a couple of classical records today:

Haydn: London Symphonies, London Chamber Orchestra, Tate

Buckner: Symphony No 5, Haitink, Concertgerbouw Orchestra Amsterdam.

Will listen when I get the chance.

DS

Davidsss, I'm interested in your experiences with Haydn's London Symphonies. I have a lovely disc of Mozart piano concertos with Geoffrey Tate and the LCO, but I was listening to it the other night on my relatively new system, which revealed a few concerns with the recording. The orchestra just seemed a bit muddy to to me. Muddiness would be fatal to a performance of Haydn symphonies. What did you think about the recording?