Keith_W

Classical currently spinning thread

301363048_MeyerbeerLesHuguenots.jpg.1bf05fe7ec3008a82897f417940f7157.jpg

Really enjoying this recording tonight.  

On 28/06/2019 at 3:48 PM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Arvo Pärt - De Profundis.

images - 2019-06-28T154749.134.jpeg

Love this.  Paul Hillier has made a number of great Part recordings.  

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, RobbC said:

thank you for this great recommendation.  👍

Welcome I find myself checking out the classical recommendations from stereophile. I've bought 2 prior based on their reviews , this might be number 3

you found it for sale anywhere? 

Edited by cafe67

43 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Welcome I find myself checking out the classical recommendations from stereophile. I've bought 2 prior based on their reviews , this might be number 3

you found it for sale anywhere? 

I agree I finished listening a little while ago and I thought it was worth adding to my collection. The second last price really reminded me of Britten’s sea interludes from his opera Peter Grimes. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RobbC said:

I agree I finished listening a little while ago and I thought it was worth adding to my collection. The second last price really reminded me of Britten’s sea interludes from his opera Peter Grimes. 

Have you heard the Beth gibbons songs of sorrows , thats pretty good too.

Edited by cafe67

9 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Have you heard the Beth gibbons songs of sorrows? Hats pretty good too.

actually no.  guess I know what i am listening to tomorrow. 

18 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Have you heard the Beth gibbons songs of sorrows , thats pretty good too.

I have long been a fan of Henryk Górecki: Symphony No. 3 (Symphony Of Sorrowful Songs).  I hadn't heard about this new recording but am going to enjoy the journey tonight.  See how measure measures up to Dawn.  thanks again

gorecki_gibbons_3000.jpg.dcdfaea8c24ede4c5e857b8ee7a1c118.jpg

Very fast tempo of suite no.120190703_204432.jpeg.85d59291c5f456b26e380a1fd9be92be.jpeg

Yes indeed. Recently played my copy. It's not cheap to buy now though.

Very expensive now but I pre ordered mine back then so it was good price. I pre order all new release on the suites whenever there is a reissue because they all become expensive after the copies are sold out.

Yes indeed. Recently played my copy. It's not cheap to buy now though.

On 03/07/2019 at 5:59 PM, RobbC said:

I have long been a fan of Henryk Górecki: Symphony No. 3 (Symphony Of Sorrowful Songs).  I hadn't heard about this new recording but am going to enjoy the journey tonight.  See how measure measures up to Dawn.  thanks again

gorecki_gibbons_3000.jpg.dcdfaea8c24ede4c5e857b8ee7a1c118.jpg

After too many (if possible) listens to Dawn's take on this (so therefore the mental yardtsick.....meterstick????) Ii have recently had Beth's version (and a great conductor) recommended, and then after noodling the net investigating points of view on Boreyko's release of Gorecki Symphony 4 (really love this!) i found he too had led a version with Ewa Izykowska and the Poznan Philharmonic Orchestra (https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/górecki-symphony-no-3-symphony-of-sorrowful-songs’).  So from repetitively revisiting Dawn & David as my only brush with this beautiful piece, now there are three and each a different character.  Nice how time changes things.

20 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

After too many (if possible) listens to Dawn's take on this (so therefore the mental yardtsick.....meterstick????) Ii have recently had Beth's version (and a great conductor) recommended, and then after noodling the net investigating points of view on Boreyko's release of Gorecki Symphony 4 (really love this!) i found he too had led a version with Ewa Izykowska and the Poznan Philharmonic Orchestra (https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/górecki-symphony-no-3-symphony-of-sorrowful-songs’).  So from repetitively revisiting Dawn & David as my only brush with this beautiful piece, now there are three and each a different character.  Nice how time changes things.

I don't think I have reached the stage yet where I have listened to Dawn too many times 🙄 that said I was keen to hear the new recording.

My immediate reaction to Beth was to recoil but I stuck with it.  Obvious pretty quickly she isn't classically trained but it was so different to Dawn's very prim version I was captivated.  The very fast vibrato and vocal pushing really felt brittle and tenuous and strangely appropriate to the text.  The whole piece was very unsettling but in a way it worked.  I got to the end and felt completely on edge.  I wouldn't regard it as enjoyable at all but it certainly had something to say.

I haven't heard Sym #4 yet....

You are right though it would all be very boring if every recording was the same.  

Toshio Hosokawa, Arditti Quartet,  Landscape I, II, V/Fragments II/Vertical Time Study III. Montaigne ‎ MO 782078 Arditti Quartet Edition – 30  CD, France 1996.

Landscape I, II, V/Fragments II/Vertical Time Study III   (CD, Album, Stereo) album cover