Classical currently spinning thread

034571150819.png

Dennis Lee - Szymanowski: Etudes / Fantasy / Métopes / Masques -- yoinked from the bookfest for $1 ... a Hyperion CD of an obscure (to me) Polish composer, solo piano pieces that are somewhat like a mix of Chopin and Liszt with a some German Sturm und Drang , a bit difficult but not Godowsky-level difficult. Innaressing.

--Geoff  

• Like 1

David Oistrakh* And Sviatoslav Richter / Franck* / Brahms* ‎– Sonata For Violin And Piano In A Major & Sonata No.3 In D Minor. Мелодия ‎ 025827-28, Mono USSR.

My copy is a different Melodia pressing. Not on discogs, another cattledog job to do....

Sonata For Violin And Piano In A Major & Sonata No.3 In D Minor (Vinyl, LP, Mono) album cover

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 4

Nigel Short, Tenebra, LSO Chamber Ensemble and ring ins - Faure Requiuem, Bach Partitas, Chorales and Ciaconna

Image result for Nigel Short, Tenebra, LSO Chamber Ensemble and ring ins - Faure Requiuem, Bach Partitas, Chorales and Ciaconna

A strange concoction this one - mixing up a bunch of works I guess as a mechanism to modulate and shape the "feel" through the overall recording.  Listened to it while ago, and a quite sympathetic accompaniment to a morning's desk work.  Most pleasant and well recorded, and satisfying if one is comfortable with the variety and curation. Though I am not a fan of the choral treatment woven around the Ciaconna - there is enough in that solo instrument expression that needs no distraction as so much of its intensity comes from the single "voice"  (but maybe i am just some inflexible traditionalist)

Edited by Dilettanteque
  • Like 2

Must have been the nth time DGG reissue Carlos Kleiber recordings, but I like the idea of having everything on one box (and in a single Blu-ray Disc too) as I don’t have full collection of his operas. 

97807806-6BF7-4E6C-B0B1-EDF672596DDA.jpeg

4 minutes ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Basically, this reiusse bookends his career. Yes previoulsy ressued by CBS  on CD. Any preference; 1955 cf. 1981? 

I haven't listened back to back for some 10 or so years I suspect.  I have always struggled to choose one or other for whole  lot.  I always liked the greater sense of space and freedom of interpretation that the later recording seemed to suggest, and sometimes i have really responded to a more metronomic treatment that seems to characterise some pieces of the earlier work.  I think i eventually landed on the "preference depends on what one looks for in a listening experience" .  A little more situational.  You?

Grieg: Symphonic Works, vol.3, by the WDR (West German Radio) Symphony Orchestra conducted by Eivind Aadland. 

- In Autumn op.11

- Lyric Pieces op.54 and Bell Ringing

- Old Norwegian Melodies with Variations op.51

- Orchestral Pieces from Sigurd Jorsalfur op.56

BE82BCE2-6B06-4806-9CFF-B9F1128F4949.jpeg

• Like 3

On 05/02/2020 at 12:36 PM, Dilettanteque said:

I haven't listened back to back for some 10 or so years I suspect.  I have always struggled to choose one or other for whole  lot.  I always liked the greater sense of space and freedom of interpretation that the later recording seemed to suggest, and sometimes i have really responded to a more metronomic treatment that seems to characterise some pieces of the earlier work.  I think i eventually landed on the "preference depends on what one looks for in a listening experience" .  A little more situational.  You?

Sorry for the slow reply, had a rushed trip to Sydney, started raining just as we left, woohoo, you need some rain, we have getting some fantastic falls in BNE.

For me it is the inverse, I prefer the 1981 due to the the metronomic treatment in 1955. Not that i dislike it, just prefer it's more 'relaxed' style.

Cheers,

Gary. 

• Like 1