Classical currently spinning thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Arvo Part: Te Deum Arvo Part (Composer), Tonu Karljuste (Conductor), Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir (Orchestra)  Format: Audio CD    

some education for me tonight:     cheers   mick

Brahms 1st Symphony from the Berlin Philharmonic direct to disc boxset. Wonderfully live.  

2 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

Henryk Szeryng - Szymanowski & Wieniawski - Violin Concerti

Wow, that would be a good listen. Such a potent player. He blew us away here in TSO, playing/conducting Mozart G (?) major, Beethoven and Brahms all in one concert.

• Like 1

Ouch.  Strangely this didn't get queued in ythe end as I follow a central European trail....I guess I shouldn't be so easily perturbed, but I must say that Roon has never quite dished up for me something that so closely approximates a government health warning.   Maybe I haven't been sufficiently adventurous.

image.thumb.png.b3a88637706c2f2d05aa1c7088bf75eb.png

I note absence of reviewer's name.  Though most classical releases don't seem to have named reviewers in Roon catalogue.

Edited by Dilettanteque

Krzysztof Penderecki/Marek Mos & Ausko Orchestra - Penderecki and Greenwood: Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima; Popcorn Superhet Receiver etc.
Krzysztof Penderecki and Jonny Greenwood - Nonesuch: 7559796251 - download  | Presto Classical

Edited by Dilettanteque

On 13/01/2021 at 12:37 PM, Dilettanteque said:

Ouch.  Strangely this didn't get queued in ythe end as I follow a central European trail....I guess I shouldn't be so easily perturbed, but I must say that Roon has never quite dished up for me something that so closely approximates a government health warning.   Maybe I haven't been sufficiently adventurous.

image.thumb.png.b3a88637706c2f2d05aa1c7088bf75eb.png

I note absence of reviewer's name.  Though most classical releases don't seem to have named reviewers in Roon catalogue.

Not sure what to make of the review or introduction... no doubt written by a hater that somehow still bothers to listen to this recording. 

Syntagma Amici ‎– Krummhorn - Storto, Tournebout

R-15645835-1599059780-1756.jpeg.jpg

Not many people are familiar with the Krumhorn (as I prefer to spell it).  I've played in a krumhorn consort (similar music to this renaissance music CD) and for all it's limitations, I love the instrument.  Think of it as a recorder, but with a double reed enclosed in the mouthpiece and a (decorative) curl at the end.  It's got a limited range and no ability to control the volume.  There's not much focus on wind instruments of this time, and this CD's a wonderful example of what can be done within the limitations of the instrument. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Syntagma Amici ‎– Krummhorn - Storto, Tournebout

Thanks, I hadn’t heard that one.

You may also like this Piffaro ensemble recording, with music from the same era and similar instrumentation:

Image-3.png.4720811ef412ca3c80dc812112f1607e.png

Edited by Steffen
  • Like 1
  • Marc pinned and unpinned this topic
21 hours ago, Steffen said:

Thanks, I hadn’t heard that one.

You may also like this Piffaro ensemble recording, with music from the same era and similar instrumentation:

Image-3.png.4720811ef412ca3c80dc812112f1607e.png

Thanks for the recommendation.  I have one or two Piffaro disks, but not this one - I will look out for it. 

Isaac Stern - Favourite Violin Encores

(from Sony Music Entertainment Hong Kong)

463C2E05-C45E-4CFD-8EDC-8E192BB8D787.jpeg

Edited by att23
  • Like 2

Mozart’s newest track (he hasn’t put out much in a while...):

502409802_Screenshot2021-01-31at23_01_02.png.14cfe3c81773217c5f9efa2e60ccef53.png

Puzzling choice of pianist and instrument in this premiere.

I sometimes forget how much I love Bach. It’s probably after listening to any of his vocal music (that I admittedly do not care about). But his instrumental settings are truly transcendental, and time stopping.

Image-2.png.23b3978a78c3978ad7ad74fef29bc9f6.png

I caught one of the French Suites on the radio in the car today, and thought, I need to spend some time with them. Curiously, I got stuck on the Hogwood harpsichord version (curious because Bach is said to have not been composing for any particular instrument – fight!)

• Like 1