Classical currently spinning thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Arvo Part: Te Deum Arvo Part (Composer), Tonu Karljuste (Conductor), Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir (Orchestra)  Format: Audio CD    

some education for me tonight:     cheers   mick

No SACD player, here but beautiful regardless. I think this is my favourite recording of Bach's sonatas and partitas to date  

Bach, the gift that (sometimes) keeps giving. I find that annoying because some Bach (most of his vocal settings) is hard for me to listen to. But then there is this, which puts him on a very high pedestal:

960183506_Screenshot2020-08-15at22_22_54.png.ec51feeac6b3edef7da2b7da86ad483c.png

• Like 3

2076527842_Screenshot2020-08-21at19_38_36.png.14d5a0752ebae1d4e393f68ad0762a63.png

Nevermind the Tuckwells and Halsteads, this is still my reference recording. Tim Brown does a fantastic job on the valveless horn (much like the one pictured), and Kuijken‘s harpsichord continuo elevates the pieces to a whole new level or charming and authentic.

• Like 1

Always find this triple billing strange, even after owning this record for years.  
Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition, Rachmaninov’s 6 Preludes and Prokofiev’s Toccata op.11 by 3 separate pianists.

But all is forgotten once I started playing this record. Probably one of the better sounding piano records in my collection. 

7E0D709F-CC12-42BC-A382-597A84EC799E.jpeg

• Like 2

Katia & Marielle Labèque*, Sylvio Gualda & Jean-Pierre Drouet - City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra - Simon Rattle,  Bartók ‎– Sonata For Two Pianos And Percussion · Concerto For Two Pianos, Percussion And Orchestra.   EMI ‎ CDC 7 47446 2  UK 1987.

Sonata For Two Pianos And Percussion · Concerto For Two Pianos, Percussion And Orchestra (CD) album cover

• Like 2

New York Philharmonic Orchestra, Members Of The London Symphony Orchestra, English Chamber Orchestra, Schneider, Stern, Perlman, Mehta,  ‎Bach – Double Violin Concerto & Violin Concertos Nos. 1 & 2. CBS ‎ MYK 38487  CBS Great Performances – 95  CD, Album, Reissue, Stereo US.

Double Violin Concerto & Violin Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 (CD, Album, Reissue, Stereo) album cover

• Like 1
  • Marc pinned and unpinned this topic