Keith_W

Classical currently spinning thread

I love this boxset, mainly because it was the first vinyl set of the Symphonies that I bought as a teenager

You bought Beethoven as a teenager? I was too busy headbanging in my teens.

Did you play an instrument? What made you interested in classical music at a young age?

5 minutes ago, Citroen said:

I love this boxset, mainly because it was the first vinyl set of the Symphonies that I bought as a teenager.

And so to me these versions are what I am used to, rather than necessarily being definitive performances! ;) 

@Citroen Very similar to my take on it. Orchestras recorded here are no lightweights but there are certainly better recordings to be considered, not least Karajan. However, while I appreciate his music, anything of his is tainted for me by his opportunistic behaviour 1933-1945 that helped establish his emerging career. Where more principled artists spoke out (1933) and lost their positions/citizenships etc -  Karajan quietly condoned and progressed (got his first serious post). This is something that is often ignored and not even that widely known. It's beside the point I know, but Beethoven Symphonies and Karajan for me are so intertwined. 

And yes I do have a nostalgic attachment as it is indeed the box set that I purchased as a teenager. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Ugly said:

This may be hard to digest but my music as a teen consisted of Santana, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Metallica, Fun Lovin Criminals, The Avalanches, Something For Kate, Regurgitator, Bowie, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart's Requiem and few other works, Sepultura, Fear Factory, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Tom Waits, Segovia, John Williams, Smetana, Stravnisky, Rachmaninoff, Rastropovich, Villa-Lobos, Turina, Isaac Albéniz, Zubin Mehta....

If anything, of late it has expanded more in the direction of pop than anything else - rather than the other way round

Did you play an instrument? What made you interested in classical music at a young age?

Just saw this bit, and although none was directed at me, but I chose to expand - here it is. I did play classical guitar, but shortly after electric as well.

Edited by zippi

12 minutes ago, Ugly said:

I was also into Deep Purple, Led Zep, Uriah Heep, although only Led Zep has survived that teenage phase ;)

Why classical music? Not sure. I was forced to learn to play the piano. But my parents didn't listen to classical music, my siblings didn't really listen to it either, although a few friends did.

I just really liked the music!

I can't imagine there would be too many teens today that would listen to classical. I imagine those that do, have an appreciation as they also play a 'classical' instrument.

I could be wrong. Maybe it's a temperament thing. I.e certain temperaments are biologically drawn to the beauty and/or order of the music.

I can't imagine there would be too many teens today that would listen to classical. I imagine those that do, have an appreciation as they also play a 'classical' instrument.

Unfortunately, I think you're right.