Classical currently spinning thread

2 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

Henryk Szeryng - Szymanowski & Wieniawski - Violin Concerti

Wow, that would be a good listen. Such a potent player. He blew us away here in TSO, playing/conducting Mozart G (?) major, Beethoven and Brahms all in one concert.

• Like 1

Ouch.  Strangely this didn't get queued in ythe end as I follow a central European trail....I guess I shouldn't be so easily perturbed, but I must say that Roon has never quite dished up for me something that so closely approximates a government health warning.   Maybe I haven't been sufficiently adventurous.

image.thumb.png.b3a88637706c2f2d05aa1c7088bf75eb.png

I note absence of reviewer's name.  Though most classical releases don't seem to have named reviewers in Roon catalogue.

Edited by Dilettanteque
  • Like 1

On 13/01/2021 at 12:37 PM, Dilettanteque said:

Ouch.  Strangely this didn't get queued in ythe end as I follow a central European trail....I guess I shouldn't be so easily perturbed, but I must say that Roon has never quite dished up for me something that so closely approximates a government health warning.   Maybe I haven't been sufficiently adventurous.

image.thumb.png.b3a88637706c2f2d05aa1c7088bf75eb.png

I note absence of reviewer's name.  Though most classical releases don't seem to have named reviewers in Roon catalogue.

Not sure what to make of the review or introduction... no doubt written by a hater that somehow still bothers to listen to this recording. 

Syntagma Amici ‎– Krummhorn - Storto, Tournebout

R-15645835-1599059780-1756.jpeg.jpg

Not many people are familiar with the Krumhorn (as I prefer to spell it).  I've played in a krumhorn consort (similar music to this renaissance music CD) and for all it's limitations, I love the instrument.  Think of it as a recorder, but with a double reed enclosed in the mouthpiece and a (decorative) curl at the end.  It's got a limited range and no ability to control the volume.  There's not much focus on wind instruments of this time, and this CD's a wonderful example of what can be done within the limitations of the instrument. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Syntagma Amici ‎– Krummhorn - Storto, Tournebout

Thanks, I hadn’t heard that one.

You may also like this Piffaro ensemble recording, with music from the same era and similar instrumentation:

Image-3.png.4720811ef412ca3c80dc812112f1607e.png

Edited by Steffen
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Steffen said:

Thanks, I hadn’t heard that one.

You may also like this Piffaro ensemble recording, with music from the same era and similar instrumentation:

Image-3.png.4720811ef412ca3c80dc812112f1607e.png

Thanks for the recommendation.  I have one or two Piffaro disks, but not this one - I will look out for it.